Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 08:34 PM

8 posts, read 18,551 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving down to NC from OH this summer! I will be graduating with an elementary teaching degree, so I'm looking for a place to relocate and get a teaching job. I'm having a hard time finding a place that I think will "fit me." The Raleigh area has been recommended to me several times and so I've been doing my research and am thinking about Cary. What do you think? Any other suggestions??

Here's some info about what I'm looking for:
I want to be in a city (not in the dead center of a big city, but close enough that I can get to anything I need/want - i.e. shopping), a place I will be safe in alone at night, somewhere that I can live comfortably on my 1st year teacher salary (about $30,000)

I'm not that picky, and am willing to look anywhere but it's hard to narrow it down!! Especially since I don't know anyone from NC and will be going at it alone.

If anyone can give my any advice I would appreciate it
And, if there are any teachers out there that would recommend any specific schools that are good/not good to work in that would be fantastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 10:46 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Help View Post
I'm planning on moving down to NC from OH this summer! I will be graduating with an elementary teaching degree, so I'm looking for a place to relocate and get a teaching job. I'm having a hard time finding a place that I think will "fit me." The Raleigh area has been recommended to me several times and so I've been doing my research and am thinking about Cary. What do you think? Any other suggestions??

Here's some info about what I'm looking for:
I want to be in a city (not in the dead center of a big city, but close enough that I can get to anything I need/want - i.e. shopping), a place I will be safe in alone at night, somewhere that I can live comfortably on my 1st year teacher salary (about $30,000)

I'm not that picky, and am willing to look anywhere but it's hard to narrow it down!! Especially since I don't know anyone from NC and will be going at it alone.

If anyone can give my any advice I would appreciate it
And, if there are any teachers out there that would recommend any specific schools that are good/not good to work in that would be fantastic!
What part of Ohio are you from? We came down from the Island area 3 years ago. I miss the Lake, but love it down here.

Cary is an option....but really....some of the other areas might be a tad more affordable...most are close enough to Raleigh that it's not a problem...and they all have a charm and things to do on their own.

Have you been down here yet? It really comes down to seeing the are and finding out what area you like best. Wake Forest, Knightsdale, Garner just to name a few might work for you.

As for safety, I would feel comfortable living by myself in most areas of Raleigh. Crime happens of course, but it's not unsafe by any means.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:39 PM

8 posts, read 18,551 times
Default thanks for responding!

I am from the Cleveland area but am currently going to college near Canton.

I'll be down to visit in May, and am hoping to find somewhere that I "belong" on that trip. Until then I'm trying to get as much info. as possible so I don't waste any time while I'm there.

I keep bouncing back and forth between the big cities. I'm hoping that my visit will clear things up a bit. (and of course it depends on where I can get a job!)

Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM

83 posts, read 352,394 times
I just met a lady from Cleveland, OH this past weekend. She told me that the felt like Raleigh was really a big town and not a city. She felt like everybody was friendly. I hope you find our "big town" the same way!
Good luck!

Old 04-25-2007, 04:31 PM

27 posts, read 189,903 times
My father in law is a recruiter for Wake County Schools. He is also a principal at Willow Springs Elementary School. I could try to ask him some info about you getting a job. He could probably help you out. PM me and I'll try to get you more info.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:01 PM

60 posts, read 185,362 times
If you don't **** to be in the dead center of a big city, I would rule out N Raleigh and Cary. Both have really grown and continues to explode at the seams. I would have to recommend Wake Forest. My in-laws just moved to Wake Forest (Heritage) from Boston and love it. They visited the area several times before making a decision to buy a home. They considered the Greensboro and Charlotte areas as well but decided this area was for them. Do your research before moving and you will be okay.
Here is the site to heritage if it helps. http://www.heritagewakeforest.com

Old 04-25-2007, 05:09 PM

59 posts, read 203,914 times
One recommendation I have is not to move to the area until you have a job. I don't mean that to sound harsh; Wake County schools are good and it's a competitive market. I have many friends who've graduated with teaching licenses here and they've told me how challenging it can be to get into certain schools.

I'm not terribly informed of schools in the area, but I do know that A.B. Combs elementary is wonderful. It's in Raleigh, close to NCSU area.

Also, visit the area first if you haven't already. Wake County is huge. If you're young and single, it's a good place to meet people because there are several universities in the area and tons of things to do. It's also a great place to raise a family if you have kids. Best of luck

Last edited by TIlover; 04-25-2007 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: school

Old 06-29-2007, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,685 times
Smile Looking for a teaching job in wake county for 2007-2008 school year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb27 View Post
My father in law is a recruiter for Wake County Schools. He is also a principal at Willow Springs Elementary School. I could try to ask him some info about you getting a job. He could probably help you out. PM me and I'll try to get you more info.
Hi , my name is Michelle and I have just relocated to NC and I am currently looking for an elemenatry teaching job for the 2007-2008 school year. I have six years of teaching experience. I taught in Ontario, Canada for five years and I just finished teaching at an IB school in Charleston, South Carolina. I was wondering if you would be willing to share his recruiter contact number with me.
In advance thank you!
Michelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary