Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:49 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,370 times

Advertisements

I'm writing this post mainly because we are stunned and quite upset that we could of made a HUGE mistake. We found a home in Wake Forest that we really liked. It was a short sale, and for the money, the home was big and had very very nice upgrades. We were in the process of putting a bid on it, when someone who was very kind informed us that there had been a suicide in the home. We contacted our realtor immediately, and she contacted the seller's agent and this was verified. Wake Forest police verified as well. However, we are not able to find anything about it on line, anywhere.

We aren't going to purchase this house. But this experience has left us feeling frustrated and angry. Although the law states the seller and seller's broker do not have to disclose this information, I think it's awful. It's awful for seller's to not be able to sell a house after such tragedy and trauma. And it would be awful if we bought the house, unknowing of the situation, and were unhappy and never able to sell it either.

Prior to this, I never thought to ask or research to see if anything like a suicide/homicide occured in a house. Coming from so far away, this has left us feeling very uneasy, to say the least.

For anyone buying, keep this in thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 11:59 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,930,607 times
Default There is a cursed home in our neighborhood....

This house was the site of:
  • a sexual assault by a male relative against a teen age female
  • a sudden unexplained death of a young mother
  • a suicide
  • a foreclosure
This house is less than 30 years old, and each of these events happened to a different owner/family! Can a house be cursed? I would never have thought so until learning the history of this home two blocks away from us.

If you were uncomfortable, walking away was the best thing to do.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 07-29-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 PM

792 posts, read 4,486,830 times
Oh geez...
Better bring your oiuja board with you at the next house you visit. For all you know there could have been animal sacrifices, meth labs, child abuse, or who knows what. How will you ever sleep at night without knowing?
Seriously, sounds like you should consider new construction if you are going to worry about anything/everything that happened in the past in the house...

Old 07-29-2009, 12:04 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Oh geez...
Better bring your oiuja board with you at the next house you visit. For all you know there could have been animal sacrifices, meth labs, child abuse, or who knows what. How will you ever sleep at night without knowing?
Seriously, sounds like you should consider new construction if you are going to worry about anything/everything that happened in the past in the house...
Unless it's over an ancient burial ground.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:07 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Who the heck cares? People need to quit watching movies like The Grudge if it's going to bother them that much.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:11 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,010 times
It can bother those who have a pretty high sixth sense. I can see why it may bother some and not others. I don't blame for someone going with their gut.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:12 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
Prior to this, I never thought to ask or research to see if anything like a suicide/homicide occured in a house.
In this case at least, ignorance is bliss. What's the point in researching such a thing? I don't believe in juju, bad or otherwise.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:22 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,097 times
Someone you don't know killed themselves in a house, and THAT is why you won't buy the house?? I think that's ridiculous and a total overreaction. It's even more ridiculous to assume that many others share your fear of dead people / voodoo / bad vibes / haunting / whatever. It's a HOUSE. It wasn't your family member. I don't get it.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:28 PM

551 posts, read 1,874,654 times
I used to live across the street from a house where the man murdered his wife. When the buyers found out, they backed out of the deal. Maybe that seems sort of silly, but just think, as long as SOME people are turned off by a house where bad things have happened it makes sense in terms of resale value to avoid the place.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
You have any right to decline as you wish, but because of that? Whatever...

But your "aghastness" that you couldn't find anything online about it (would YOU want it all over the Internet if a family member of yours committed suicide) and think that somehow you "woudln't be able to sell the house" seems a little over-the-top. Most people might find it "icky" but if they liked the house, they'd buy it.

Though I admit I wouldn't want to know what room it occurred in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary