Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 11:45 PM

185 posts, read 567,355 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! So, my fiance and I will be in town this weekend and we need some advice!

I know this question has been asked a million times but I'm hoping to get some answers more tailored to our situation. While we are in the area we would like to look at some apartments. We have a few "must haves" so maybe you guys could give us some ideas as to where to start looking.

1. The apartment needs to be in the Cary vicinity.

2. We need a place that is "pet FRIENDLY"! When an apartment boasts that they're pet friendly but they want $600 dollars in pet fees/deposits that tells me that they're more "pet tolerant". We have 2 cats so we need a place that will welcome our cats without charging us a ton to have them.

3. We need a place that utilities such as water, sewer, and possibly trash are included. We know that we'll have to pay the electric bill and the gas bill (if applicable) but we're looking for a place where as many utilities as possible are included.

4. We only need a 1 bedroom apartment but a 2 bedroom would be nice (if the price is right) in case family comes to visit.

I think that's about it. As far as price goes I can't really say until we have a job offer and we know what the pay will be but I would say no more than $750.

Thank you in advance to everyone who responds. And once again, sorry for posting another apartment question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,939,088 times
There is an apartment complex just west of HWY 55 on O'Kelly-Chapel Rd. that allows pets, is 2 bedroom. Newer building. Not sure about the rest of your needs. It's 10 minutes from RDU, very close to I-540, 6 miles from Southpoint Mall. They are advertising a special, though don't know what it is since I don't rent.
Right now there is, IMO, a glut of apartments, especially in/near west Cary. A huge complex is going up at 55 & Kit Creek.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:42 AM

53 posts, read 137,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
There is an apartment complex just west of HWY 55 on O'Kelly-Chapel Rd. that allows pets, is 2 bedroom. Newer building. Not sure about the rest of your needs. It's 10 minutes from RDU, very close to I-540, 6 miles from Southpoint Mall. They are advertising a special, though don't know what it is since I don't rent.
Right now there is, IMO, a glut of apartments, especially in/near west Cary. A huge complex is going up at 55 & Kit Creek.
This Apartment complex is really nice, but it's new and might be a little more expensive. Try looking in Cary/Morrisville. Also, you might want to look in Holly Springs (Camden Reunion Park, Trellis Pointe)

My fiance and I moved from Virginia, and we're currently in an apartment in Cary. When we applied, we needed to provide proof that we were going to be employed when we moved to NC. I hope this doesn't give you trouble because it sounds like you don't have jobs yet...

Old 07-30-2009, 08:26 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
From my experience when I moved into an apartment complex three years ago, you will be hard pressed to find one that has water/sewer/trash/recycling included in the rent. You may find some that include (actually require is the more appropriate word) cable TV service in the rent, but that is about it. You will have an easier time finding water/sewer/trash included with a private landlord.

Chances are you are going to have to pay a pet fee or pet rent of some sort. Property owners need to have a way of covering the costs of extensive cleaning that is required to remove pet allergens from the premises once you move out - many people are highly allergic to cats and to a lesser extent dogs. The amount of the fees will vary from place to place, though.

I agree with the poster who mentioned looking in Morrisville. You might also want to check out places in Apex as well.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:42 AM

Thank you for the responses so far! Our problem has been that once we find an apartment that seems to fit our needs we find that it has a lot of bad reviews.

Really, we just need a few apartment recommendations that fit as many of our needs as possible. Also, if there are any apartments that we should stay away from that information would be helpful too, but please explain why we should avoid that complex.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:48 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetry View Post
Thank you for the responses so far! Our problem has been that once we find an apartment that seems to fit our needs we find that it has a lot of bad reviews. .
My opinion is that apartment complex managers give negative reviews of other nearby properties on these internet apartment ratings sites so that their's looks better.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:22 PM

So, we came, we saw, we got the job! We also found the apartment that we want! Now that we found the apartment we're a little worried about being approved. Neither one of us has spotless credit but my fiance will be making more than the required "3x the rent" and we have a cosigner. Will this be enough to get us in? How important is credit compared to income and rental history?

Old 08-04-2009, 07:48 PM

26 posts, read 56,434 times
I think apartments places are running specials to get people in! If you can pay the money, I doubt they will reject you. I bet your rental history has a big impact and if you can pay rent. They won't want to go through the process of kicking you out. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary