Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:46 AM

70 posts, read 324,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
......There are already so many great restaurants, lounges, and bars.......

I am new to the area. Where are the lounges?

Thanks

-Walter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 06:58 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,958,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
I really hope it gets better. When I moved to the Bull City back in '05 I was disappointed at the lack of nightlife. There are, of course, some really cool bars and pubs around Duke U. area, but I have to admit that Fayetteville (where I moved from) even has better nightclubs than Durham. I used to venture with some friends down to Glenwood area in Raleigh, but got tired of the drive back (to North Durham!)and worrying about getting a DWI. Guess karaoke night at the Ale House will have to suffice for now.
I'd much prefer the nightclub scene just stay in Raleigh. There have been dozens of flash in the pans in Durham, and for the most part they've been nothing but trouble...high level of turnover, problems with the law, etc. Even in Raleigh it seems to be the pattern (is there a nightclub that's been around for more than 4 years?). We've got a great set of bars and pubs in Durham that have shown a lot of staying power. I'd rather that be the foundation for nightlife in downtown durham.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:59 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,191,590 times
I would be personally disappointed to see downtown Durham remotely resemble Glenwood South. We can have bars and clubs and great restaurants, but please can we keep it funky and interesting and not vapid and soulless like Glenwood? ugh.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,573,201 times
Quote:
I agree with you completely dlj02000 it's as if some (or even many) have to continuously bring up crime whenever Durham is mentioned.
Quote:
Do you just look for threads with the word "Durham" so you can post irrelevant responses about its crime rate?
I'm sorry! It's just whenever I see or hear the word Durham crime is the first to come to mind.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:01 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,339,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I'm sorry! It's just whenever I see or hear the word Durham crime is the first to come to mind.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:13 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,858,411 times
Quote:
Sorry but that's so lame. I rarely turn on local news, but the last time I did, all they talked about is the crime in Raleigh. Get a life please.

As far as the comment about keeping the nightlife in Raleigh, I have to agree. Not being a nightlife person anymore (those days are long gone), I'm hoping to see Downtown Durham with a more kid friendly-family atmosphere, independent shops, cafes, and some street performers. That's what I'd like downtown to look like.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:13 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,155,646 times
Quote:
i'm not living in fear of crime, but there's parts of Durham (and Raleigh to a lesser extent) where i definitely wouldn't go after dark. whether accurate or not, i do think Durham needs to address that perception. or at least have "upscale" areas where people feel safe. because if it's just a bunch of stubbornly optimistic Durham residents who venture out for nightlife, it's not really going to have mass appeal. i'm not saying raleigh is super safe or exciting, but i've walked up and down glenwood south and fayetteville st at midnight and the worst i've encountered is a homeless person asking for change. i don't feel like there's "safe zones" in Durham where i would want to wander around at night.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:59 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,858,411 times
I'm not stubbornly optimistic, I just think that crime is pretty much everywhere. Luckily, most of the crime in Durham seems to be in one area and is usually gang related. I totally feel safe in Durham, but I don't frequent those areas where the crime seems to be concentrated.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:04 AM

646 posts, read 2,049,131 times
Quote:
Sad thing is that nothing anyone will tell or show you will ever change that incorrect concept.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:44 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,573,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
Sad thing is that nothing anyone will tell or show you will ever change that incorrect concept.
Not necessarily. I've lived here for 31 years so I have developed my own opinion about Durham and not just going by what others say. There is a good possibility that I will always view Durham as being a giant ghetto but I do think there has been substantial improvements over the past few years. If it continues my opinion may change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary