Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by layyze View Post

And golly I hope that Durham doesn't end up like Glenwood South. All they did on Glenwood was run out all of the artists, interesting bars, and affordable restaurants and replace them with expensive bland nightclubs and restaurants for people with more money than class.
First of all, your statement about Glenwood South is terribly inaccurate. Glenwood South has artists and galleries (just come any First Friday night to find out for yourself). There's everything from galleries with high priced art to a basement gallery of "skater kid" art that starts at 10 bucks. There's Hipsteria Mid-Century Modern furniture and independent local bars like Brooklyn Heights. There's cheap burgers at MoJoe's and one of the best old school Raleigh casual restaurants in The Rockford. There's the funky "Turkish Delights" dessertery in a purple bungalow and even the decidedly self proclaimed low rent "Dive Bar" in Glenwood South. There's cheap, casual Tex/Mex and locally owned casual Bars like LuckyB's. Even Harry's Guitars is still in business and was in place long before anyone was there.

Sure, there's new places that cater to a higher price point crowd and new condos and apartments that are bringing in new residents but there's also the existing surrounding neighborhoods and long term residents that make Glenwood South a treasure for Raleigh. Some businesses have failed but that's mostly all in a normal business cycle.

Most of Glenwood South development didn't displace anything because, frankly, there wasn't much there to displace. And, many of those businesses that were there before it became "the" neighborhood are still in business. In addition to the aforementioned Harry's & The Rockford, this includes Askew's Paint (art supply) and Duncan Parnell.....and, yes, even art galleries have survived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,599 times
[quote=dcgrl;10041991]I would be personally disappointed to see downtown Durham remotely resemble Glenwood South.quote]

Ha!

Glenwood South is fine for the Raleigh folks.. and its fun to switch it up now and then and drive out there for a night... but I wouldn't like to see Durham turn into that necessarily. Durham has an edge. Durham is unpretentious, creative, different, and laid back. I don't mind Durham's bad rap (too much) bc I think it makes us cooler! For the ppl making snide comments about our supposed "ghetto"-- we don't want you anyways! Why would I want to change your mind? Stay in Cary or Holly Springs and enjoy your little life.

I watched the Big Booty Band last Thursday in the American Tobacco campus and it was teaming with happy ppl and kids. We had a blast, and it was free. I love the new Winebar, Bull Mccabes (Irish pub), and Pinhook-- great new places. I hope their biz. keeps thriving- they are usually fairly crowded. The farmers market's newish spot in Durham is perfect- we always run into ppl we know and enjoy ourselves. The beautiful Carolina Theatre (where you can drink a cold beer AND watch your movie) is impossible to duplicate. (And they are either playing- or about to play- Food Inc.!) I have gone to 2 shows so far at the new & improved DPAC and can't wait to see more!

Despite the nation's economic downturn, all these places (except Carolina Thtr) are new in the past 5 yrs. We are expereincing a huge resurgence of new businesses and prosperity! I think its awesome to be a part of a city thats growing so fast, yet keeping it's laid back attitude and urban appeal.

who can imagine what another 5 yrs will bring?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 PM

121 posts, read 381,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
First of all, your statement about Glenwood South is terribly inaccurate. Glenwood South has artists and galleries (just come any First Friday night to find out for yourself). There's everything from galleries with high priced art to a basement gallery of "skater kid" art that starts at 10 bucks. There's Hipsteria Mid-Century Modern furniture and independent local bars like Brooklyn Heights. There's cheap burgers at MoJoe's and one of the best old school Raleigh casual restaurants in The Rockford. There's the funky "Turkish Delights" dessertery in a purple bungalow and even the decidedly self proclaimed low rent "Dive Bar" in Glenwood South. There's cheap, casual Tex/Mex and locally owned casual Bars like LuckyB's. Even Harry's Guitars is still in business and was in place long before anyone was there.
Most of Glenwood South development didn't displace anything because, frankly, there wasn't much there to displace. And, many of those businesses that were there before it became "the" neighborhood are still in business. In addition to the aforementioned Harry's & The Rockford, this includes Askew's Paint (art supply) and Duncan Parnell.....and, yes, even art galleries have survived.
Honestly when my favorite bike shop shut down, the street pretty much died for me. Losing Enoteca Vin didn't help either.
The Rockford is just about the only thing remaining that has any character to it.

MoJoe's is nothing compared to Char Grill, which is possibly being displaced. Hipsteria is so overpriced that it should be in NYC. Dive Bar was more interesting when it was actually a dive bar called Mary Lou's. Armadillo Grill is just another bland chain burrito place (and expensive for what it is).

BTW - An arts scene is more than just galleries - it is music venues and studios and a creative class. You just don't see that on Glenwood South - even squeezed in between the yuppies.

The fact is that most of the stuff on Glenwood is expensive and bland. Sure you have some exceptions, but it is nothing like what you have going on in the next city over.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:35 PM

70 posts, read 324,937 times
The problem I see with Durham is its lack of "walkability", even compared to Raleigh, which hardly qualifies as walkable.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:47 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak View Post
The problem I see with Durham is its lack of "walkability", even compared to Raleigh, which hardly qualifies as walkable.
Really? We regularly walk from brightleaf to a bulls game, and there's quite a bit in between.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 PM

76 posts, read 194,960 times
Wow the lack of walkability in downtown durham, that surprises me as well. Seeing as I can easily walk from a durham bulls game, american tobacco, dpac, and not feel like it took forever to get to the city center. In raleigh glenwood is walkable but i cant see myself walking outside of that area into the center of raleigh it just seems really far. If im wrong "my bad", but definitely think downtown durham is pretty walkable and it only going to get better, especially with all the new bars and restaurants coming online by the end of this year alone.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:41 PM

[quote=PaulaDeen;10106164]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Durham has an edge. Durham is unpretentious, creative, different, and laid back.
9th street is so overtly "intellectually" snobby and pretentious you can cut it with an knife.

Get real.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layyze View Post
Honestly when my favorite bike shop shut down, the street pretty much died for me. Losing Enoteca Vin didn't help either.
The Rockford is just about the only thing remaining that has any character to it.

MoJoe's is nothing compared to Char Grill, which is possibly being displaced. Hipsteria is so overpriced that it should be in NYC. Dive Bar was more interesting when it was actually a dive bar called Mary Lou's. Armadillo Grill is just another bland chain burrito place (and expensive for what it is).

BTW - An arts scene is more than just galleries - it is music venues and studios and a creative class. You just don't see that on Glenwood South - even squeezed in between the yuppies.

The fact is that most of the stuff on Glenwood is expensive and bland. Sure you have some exceptions, but it is nothing like what you have going on in the next city over.
Then don't come.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:19 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
[quote=rnc2mbfl;10378783]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaDeen View Post

9th street is so overtly "intellectually" snobby and pretentious you can cut it with an knife.

Get real.
Umm, OK. I guess there's not a waffle house, so I can see where your coming from.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:06 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times
Actually Raleigh ranked #1 by Forbes magazine in 2009 and beat Durham by two slots:
Best Places For Business And Careers - Forbes.com

Raleigh also scored a #2 by Kiplinger as one of the best cities to live, work, and play:
Best Cities to Live, Work and Play - Kiplinger.com

and we hit the list again in 2009:
Best Cities: It's All About Jobs - Kiplinger.com

How about you do some fact checking or at least cite a source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary