Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:51 AM

186 posts, read 659,425 times
Which pool stings your eyes less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:03 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,805 times
Salt water is def better for you. I had a friend who went to salt in his lap pool. Needless to say a few weeks later everything started to rust.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 AM

222 posts, read 545,629 times
My parents' pool in FL uses saline. My kids and I all went swimming in it, and no stinging eyes or anything. It was built with the saline system in mind, though. Not sure what the cost of retrofitting an older pool would be because as previous posters have mentions, I imagine rust would be an issue.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:42 AM

92 posts, read 369,394 times
The Harrington Grove neighborhood pool went to saline from chlorine last year if not two years ago. I can only say that the change has been for the better. Your eyes don't sting, your skin doesn't smell like chlorine if you don't shower afterward, your bathing suits don't fade, etc.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:55 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
Does it have as much disinfectant as a chlorine pool?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:20 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Default Salt water pools still use chlorine

As others have already written. The salt is broken down via electrolysis into its elemental components of chlorine and sodium. The chlorine sanitizes the water, and no one has yet explained to me what happens to the sodium - a toxic metal.

I am surprised that a public pool would convert to salt. My concern is whether the sanitizing system can react quick enough to keep the water clean with sporadic heavy bather loads. Use of salt is safer for the pool operators, and probably reduces liability insurance costs, since drums of chlorine powder or bottles of compressed chlorine gas are no longer present or needed.

Use of stabilizers (usually cyanuric acid) in pool water will just make the situation worse. Stabilizers work by interfering with chlorine's ability to chemically react with everything! They are sold with the promise of less chlorine consumption due to reduced reaction to sunlight, but the stabilizers also inhibit chlorine's ability to eliminate bacteria.

Salt pools in today's context should not be confused with salt water pools found on tropical islands. Pools on these islands sometimes use salt water directly from the ocean because fresh water is so scarce and expensive.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:52 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I am surprised that a public pool would convert to salt. My concern is whether the sanitizing system can react quick enough to keep the water clean with sporadic heavy bather loads.
We had to provide the bidders with our bather loads. The commercial systems can handle anything. I've had previous high-use pools (think 4-6 lifeguards, Olympic size pool) convert to salt with great results.

I'm really wondering how all the people who have never heard of this will react. I don't want to recommend a change to my Board that will cause them headaches if there are a lot of complaints.

I'm worried it will go like this: lots of info, FAQs, etc sent out, then we would immediately get 500 complaints, then we make the change and everyone is happy. That's still a negative experience for the Board and the neighbors, and I try to avoid those when I can.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:01 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty320f View Post
The reason most people think it's taken out is because chloramines are not present in salt water systems. They create the smell and irritation found in traditional fresh water pools.
right, and sodium is toxic as well, but as sodium chloride is relatively harmless. the point of the salt water pools is to not have those effects you mentioned. it's a good thing. when six flags switched from chlorine to saline i was like...weird, does that work? but yes it does, and it doesnt make you smell like chlorine and your eyes don't burn (what do you think ocular fluid is, anyways?). my apt pool is also saline, and it's nice. i'd still like to rinse off afterwards so i don't feel all dried out.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:59 PM

29 posts, read 67,082 times
To answer OP's original question and get a gut reaction, It sounds like a good option. As some one who doesn't know much about such a system (as probably many of the home owners are), my concerns would be: does this system keep the pool as clean as clorine and how much if any are my HOA fees going to go up due to this conversion. I think if you can answer these questions at the time of announcing the possible change, you should be able to avoid the inundation of email. And I think the other posters gave a lot of good info that you can arm yourself with.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:56 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
Sounds like a great idea to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary