Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:02 AM

161 posts, read 759,745 times

Advertisements

Anyone work with a roofer that they find was reliable and good? We've been dealing with a mysterious leak that we thought was coming from the plumbing in the bathroom and we now think it's possible it's coming in from outside the house. I need someone who really knows what they are doing and will spend the time trying to locate areas where water may be entering the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 11:23 AM

355 posts, read 1,498,941 times
ARK roofing, Apex

919-303-9000

Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 AM

Thank you for your recommendation.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:14 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,525,323 times
I don't know the folks at ARK roofing professionally, but I know them socially. They are without a doubt people of integrity.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:36 AM

240 posts, read 1,175,781 times
Hey JerseyGirl,

Please check your PM for additional information on potential sources for leaks both inside and outside the building envelope.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:08 AM

43,028 posts, read 76,529,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Trent Hicks View Post
Hey JerseyGirl,

Please check your PM for additional information on potential sources for leaks both inside and outside the building envelope.

Hope this helps!
Here's my first hunch:
A leaking vent pipe boot:

This one is about 20 years old, and totally shot.
Pipe boot failures are one of the most common reasons for water stains on a bathroom ceiling, or on the ceiling on the floor below a bathroom wall.

You can often see the issue from the ground, using binoculars if needed.
If you have a clear view of the roof.
They almost always rot out on the high side first.

If you have to have one replaced, get them all done.
The cost is getting the roofer onto the roof, not the labor or materials of the boots.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 AM

Mike Jaquish, you are a genius! After about 10 to 12 years, most neopreme collars of plumbing pipe boots look like this photo. Your advice is solid about the cost is getting there, not the materials.

We always use lead plumbing pipe vent boots. They last 50 years. I only want to repair it once and and I don't want to go there again. (I will be much older and may not enjoy steep pitched roofs on Medicare.) 8-)

Old 08-02-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Here's my first hunch:
A leaking vent pipe boot:

This one is about 20 years old, and totally shot.
Pipe boot failures are one of the most common reasons for water stains on a bathroom ceiling, or on the ceiling on the floor below a bathroom wall.

You can often see the issue from the ground, using binoculars if needed.
If you have a clear view of the roof.
They almost always rot out on the high side first.

If you have to have one replaced, get them all done.
The cost is getting the roofer onto the roof, not the labor or materials of the boots.
Thanks for the possibly culprit. After reading this, I went outside and looked to see where this was. The only one that ws visable was in the middle of the house. The leak happens to be at the back and right. I know water can travel, but is it possible for it to travel that far? Seems like a long distance.

Thanks again. I will be certain to have whomever I come out take a look.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:20 PM

43,028 posts, read 76,529,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlonthemove View Post
Thanks for the possibly culprit. After reading this, I went outside and looked to see where this was. The only one that ws visable was in the middle of the house. The leak happens to be at the back and right. I know water can travel, but is it possible for it to travel that far? Seems like a long distance.

Thanks again. I will be certain to have whomever I come out take a look.
Hmmmm.

It can run a ways, but usually goes straight down the slope, and not too far sideways.

Another possible culprit:
These are common.
The roofer nails a toeboard through the shingles and when he pulls it up, he never repairs the nail holes. Satellite dish installers have a habit of damaging roofs too.
You might be surprised how much water a few rotted out nail holes can let in:

Or, it may be that a nail or nails have worked back up through the shingle, and cut a hole. Sometimes the nail will back out completely and leave a hole. These can also let a lot of water in:

Any other penetrations nearby?
Like box vents?

Or, a chimney at that side of the house?

Any chance a wind storm dropped a branch that punched a hole in your roof?

Leak detection is like being a regular Sherlock Holmes.
Water will find a way in, if you leave a way.
Yet, sometimes the obvious defect is bone dry, and the leak is hidden elsewhere.
I used to sit on the roof and stare for minutes at every inch of it, and finally see what I was looking for.

Some guys get it. ARK for example.

Some guys just lay roofing and never get it. Never "know how water really works."

Old 08-02-2009, 09:36 PM

Mike has provided excellent photo documentation of many potential leak areas from the outside.

IMHO leaks caused by roofers nailing toe boards through the shingles should NEVER happen because any shingle applicator who drives a nail through shingles on one of my roofing jobs is in danger of me throwing him off the roof! There are better ways to do this. If someone committed this tragedy to your roof, I strongly advise that you replace the shingles in that area.

Now, back to your topic, the source of your problem basically comes down to one of these two categories:

1) water from the outside
(leaks around plumbing pipe boots, roof flashings, vents, damaged shingles, chimney chase cap, chimney flue cap, or the masonry chimney itself if you have one)

2) water from the inside
(condensate from attic air conditioner, overflow from attic water heater, leaks from supply or waste lines to a second floor bathroom fixture, leaks from failed caulking or grout around a shower, tub, or shower door, trim nail through a water supply pipe that recently rusted through, etc.

Columbo, the detective, would eliminate as many potential suspects as possible; and look closely at the remaining "likely" suspects.

Hope this information helps you "make an arrest!"

Trent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary