Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:37 PM

Location: Splitting time between Charlotte and Raleigh (work)
61 posts, read 71,562 times

Advertisements

I often hear people complaining about how boring the Triangle is or how it isn't like where they came from. I have to wonder why people don't do research first. I wonder why someone moves somewhere that is different than where they came from and then wonder why it is different than where they came from. But I am also wondering exactly what they think is lacking, so...........

What do you find boring about the Triangle?

What did you expect here and what was the reality once you moved here?

What is it you expect from a sprawling suburban style city, surrounded by suburbs?

Do you really think Raleigh is supposed to change to be more like a big city or do you think it should be preserved the way it is and people should adapt to how it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 07:03 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,464 times
I think many who move here do so for things like cheaper cost of living (or the perception thereof), better weather, better family atmosphere/schools, promise of jobs, etc.. Many probably dont consider things to do as one of their top priorities (at least that wasn't a biggie for us). We selected Clayton because we didn't want to live in a "city". I will say that if you look hard enough, there is plenty to do here with all the various festivals, fairs, farmers markets, etc. We find there is probably more different things weekly here then we ever had to do on Long Island (perhaps not as late in the evenings for some things, but not enough for us to see it as a negative). We didnt expect or want it to be like where we came from. We embrace the local traditions and things to do that we didnt have back in NY(such as the festivals, fairs and farmers markets). We love it here for exactly what is here.

Last edited by Andy64; 08-01-2009 at 07:32 PM..

Old 08-01-2009, 07:58 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
I could have told you people that. I've lived here my whole life and my friends and I would complain about how boring it was. It's getting better, but it can be a pretty bland time of things unless you drink or sit at the pool all weekend.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:31 PM

1,967 posts, read 954,219 times
There is nothing boring about The Triangle, unless you have an utter lack of imagination or sense of adventure. The Cary Town e-mail server sends out a list of things to do every week, but you should know that already. Anyone that moves to a new town or city will have enough to experience, or do, if they would only get out of their house and soak in all that their new area has to offer.

Last edited by joe530; 08-01-2009 at 09:32 PM..

Old 08-01-2009, 08:35 PM

43,285 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe530 View Post
There is nothing boring about The Triangle, unless you have an utter lack of imagination or sense of adventure. The Cary Town e-mail server sends out a list of things to do every week, but you should know that already. Anyone that move to a new town or city will have enough to experience, or do, if they would only get out of their house and soak in all that their new area has to offer.
Joe,
I didn't know that.
How do I get hooked up to receive it?

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:48 PM

Mike, I'm surprised you didn't know this either! I dd a quick search, as its been awhile since I joined the List, but this is the page I found to join. Town Mailing List Registration
The list will have Town meeting as well as traffic reports specific to Cary and all the sports events and dates for concerts and the Cary Lazy Days.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:16 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Thanks for this link Joe!

Old 08-01-2009, 09:23 PM

Hopefully I am not violating anybody TOS, but this is just some of the fun that is happening in Cary this weekend.

TOWN OF CARY’S
WEEKEND UPDATE

Friday:
July 31

Cary Art Loop
6 - 9 p.m.
Cary Art Loop highlights Triangle arts & culture in the Cary Area offering extended hours for participating art galleries, restaurants, coffee houses, and other businesses that showcase visual arts, music and more!
For maps, details and more visit: http://www.caryartloop.org

Constance Pappalardo: Escape Artist
Artist Reception
Town Hall, 6-8 p.m.
Pappalardo’s paintings are water color on canvas. The Artist says “I would like for the viewer to understand the common thread between us all; the desire to escape, to live beyond our daily life and to experience the freedom that comes from imagination. My paintings are imaginary landscapes, born from my desire to create a world far more beautiful than what is available to me now, as much an escape for the artist as for the viewer.”
For more, call (919) 469-4061 or visit http://www.townofcary.org

Daniel Vaughan: An Artist Journal
Artist Reception
Herbert Young Community Center, 6-8 p.m.
Vaughan brings us a retrospective study in pastel of interesting places explored in the world.
For more, call (919) 469-4061 or visit http://www.townofcary.org

Yuko Taylor, Seasons of Orient
Cary Senior Center
Artist Views Discussion, 5:30-6 p.m.
Artist Reception, 6-8 p.m.
“I meld western materials to give the illusion and expression of Japanese mineral paintings and woodblock printings.”
For more, call (919) 469-4081 or visit http://www.townofcary.org

Hunter Hilton Tapscott
Jordan Hall Arts Center Gallery
Artist Reception, 6-8 p.m.
The print, the frame, the matte, the title, the story and the lighting in which it is viewed, all combine to produce the pieces of Hunter Hilton Tapscotts’ photography.
For more info call (919) 469-4069 or visit http://www.townofcary.org

Starlight Concert Series: Jamrock
Page-Walker Arts & History Center Garden, 7:30 p.m.
Don’t miss authentic reggae in a free concert by Jamrock, a favorite at the Starlight Concert Series. Co-sponsored by the Friends of Page-Walker and the Town of Cary Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Department.
For more, call (919) 460-4963.

Saturday:
August 1

USL-1, Men’s Professional Soccer
WakeMed Soccer Park, 7 p.m.
Austin Aztecs Vs. Carolina RailHawks
For more, call (919) 859-5425 or visit http://www.carolinarailhawks.com

Sunday:
August 2

There are no events scheduled for this date.

###

WEEKEND UPDATE is a publication from the Town of Cary distributed each Thursday afternoon to help you plan your weekend news coverage. WEEKEND UPDATE gives the date, time, location, contact person, and short description for any significant activity sponsored in whole or in part by the Town during the upcoming Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. A NR designation indicates that the activity does have an associated news release, so check your files or visit us online for further details.

PRIMARY CONTACTS: April Raphiou, Deputy Public Information Officer, (919) 481-5091
Susan Moran, Public Information Officer, (919) 460-4951

Please note that this service of the Town of Cary is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law, and messages as well as email addresses must be disclosed to third parties upon request. To unsubscribe, reply to this email with the subject "Unsubscribe".

Old 08-01-2009, 09:29 PM

And of course there is the Cary Lazy Daze festival!
Ok, every body else list your Towns events!

BRING THE FAMILY OUT FOR A DAY OF FUN AT CARY’S LAZY DAZE ARTS & CRAFTS FESTIVAL

Mark your calendars for a day of live entertainment, beautiful arts and delicious foods at the Town of Cary’s 33rd Annual Lazy Daze Arts & Crafts Festival in downtown Cary along Academy and Chatham streets on Saturday, August 22, 2009. Beginning at 9 a.m. with an opening performance by Cary High School and Green Hope High School bands, the free event will also feature live entertainment on three stages by groups such as Shaggie Maggie, Red Shoe Chinese Dance Club and Big Bang Boom. In case of rain, the festival will be held on Sunday, August 23 from 1 p.m. until 7 p.m. For the safety of all attendees and Fido’s comfort, dogs will not be allowed in the festival area. For more, visit Lazy Daze at Town of Cary Lazy Daze (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/prdept/events/lazydaze/lazydazehome.htm - broken link) or call (919) 469-4061.

###

PRIMARY CONTACTS: Joy Ennis, Festival Coordinator, (919) 462-3864 April Raphiou, Deputy Public Information Officer, (919) 481-5091 Susan Moran, Public Information Officer, (919) 460-4951

Please note that this service of the Town of Cary is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law, and messages as well as email addresses must be disclosed to third parties upon request. To unsubscribe, reply to this email with the subject "Unsubscribe".

Old 08-02-2009, 05:55 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,647 times
Default Feeling philosophical

Do you really think Raleigh is supposed to change to be more like a big city or do you think it should be preserved the way it is and people should adapt to how it is?[/quote]

Everything changes, nothing is preserved. Places are changed by the people there and even by the number of people. People are changed by places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary