Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:22 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

Palmetto bugs don't shred toilet paper. Mice do. There are far more mice around than palmetto bugs.

I once had an exterminator tell me that the squirrel that had run down from the upstairs into my living room had LEFT (after the kids and I ran out of the house screaming).

I said there was NO way it could have left. He said that squirrels aren't that smart and couldn't possibly be so quiet that the exterminator couldn't scare it out.

I begged for traps.

He set one, and the next morning, we had one angry (and apparently very smart) squirrel.

So exterminators don't always get it right.

I think you need a new exterminator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 03:37 PM

286 posts, read 749,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
dang...I don't know. The exterminator showed up and looked at one dropping near the recyclables and apparently decided it was palmettos. (??) My husband said all he did was put out a bunch of glue traps in hopes of catching them.
The size of the droppings was like rice...dark brown. And only one or two along the various areas ( ex. 1 was in the bathroom drawer ).
I'd get one of those humane traps for the mouse if I knew it was that, but sorry, the roaches have to be killt!

My money is on a mouse. Set a conventional mouse trap with peanut butter on it and see what you catch..... I had a mouse in the garage last month. Got small glue traps, mouse was eating peanut butter off the glue trap without getting caught. I taped 4 small glue traps together, caught him the next night. I know it is just a mouse, but glue traps seem cruel...they just get stuck and die ...eventually. Conventional mouse trap is instant death.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:28 PM

29 posts, read 67,082 times
I was tramatized by my first experience with the Palmetto Cockroach! Those things are HUGE! I screamed like a horror flick extra!! In WI we only have the same ones and only if your really dirts, so I'd never seen one until I moved to FL. I though NC would be far enough north not to have them?!

Anyway, I grew up in an area that used to be farm land (and not all that long ago), so there were lots of field mice. And that's what it soulds like you have. The conventional trap with peanut butter (as was suggested) is your best bet. Also if you can figure out where they're getting in you can plug up the hole and reduce your chances of getting another one.

Then spray for roaches again, it's like the childhood anti cootie spray, it just makes you feel better....

Old 08-03-2009, 05:52 PM

320 posts, read 1,069,688 times
I've never seen palmetto's in Raleigh -- only around FL. Of course, that doesn't mean that they are not here....just that I haven't seen them.

Roaches....even big ones like Palmetto's....don't shred toiletpaper. It's got to be a mouse.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 AM

569 posts, read 1,977,621 times
I have to agree with all the others, sounds like a mouse. I had one in the garage that was pulling the stuffing out of the seat in my old MG convertible. I put out a couple of these baited with peanut butter and caught him quickly. Victor® Quick Kill Mouse Trap, Model M140 I think a quick kill is much more humane than the glue traps.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
Victor® Quick Kill Mouse Trap, Model M140 I think a quick kill is much more humane than the glue traps.
While I agree, you still need to be prepared for the when the mouse gets trapped by the leg or tail and isn't killed quickly as Victor claims. It's not pretty. And it's worse when the kids start saying but Mom, he looks like Jerry (from Tom and Jerry). Can we keep him?

Old 08-04-2009, 05:26 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,289 times
thanks again, guys, but....can a mouse somehow crawl up into a drawer?? You know, like a bathroom vanity- cupboards underneath, drawers right under countertop??
I bought this thing to plug in the wall that supposedly critters hate...ah...doesn't work.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:30 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Yes, mice can crawl all over the place, including drawers.

Get old-fashioned mouse traps before they start having babies!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNC View Post
Mouse droppings look kinda like dark brown uncooked rice. If it is larger, it is a rat (we have those at the beach sometimes....they nest in the dunes and love to find a way into your place come winter!)
I don't think I will every be able to eat brown rice again!
And YES, they can climb! In fact, they can climb pretty well!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:36 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
And it's worse when the kids start saying but Mom, he looks like Jerry (from Tom and Jerry). Can we keep him?
How about when the wife says "Oh.... they're so cute!!"
We had a family of five mice living under our dish washer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary