Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 01:33 PM

12 posts, read 47,846 times

Advertisements

How is the job market in Raleigh and surrounding areas for an Executive/Administrative Assistant?

Is North Raleigh a safe area for a female living alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 01:40 PM

621 posts, read 2,218,840 times
depending upon which part of FL your moving from, N. Raleigh is probably safer than what you're use to.. so I'd say the answer is yes.. I would also recommend the Briar Creek area if you want to me more centrally located within the triangle--that's if you don't have a job yet when you move.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:27 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Is there an echo in here??? I think the question (by the same post-er) has been asked and answered:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...eigh-jobs.html

If you ask enough times, do you think you will get different answers?

Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

Well, if you bang your head enough times on the same wall, eventually the result will be different. I'm assuming the same logic applies here as well.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:52 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Is there an echo in here??? I think the question (by the same post-er) has been asked and answered:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...eigh-jobs.html

Maybe it's bc of the repeated "don't move here" responses without much other useful info. Give the OP a break.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:54 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
So give some useful info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
Maybe it's bc of the repeated "don't move here" responses without much other useful info. Give the OP a break.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:17 PM

9 posts, read 22,230 times
I moved from wpb,florida to raleigh,nc last june/2008. Im in the healthcare industry, I get paid more then I did in Florida, No matter how many times I compare the cost of living between the two.....NC came out to be a little more an hour then Florida..........I found working at this top hospital.......the worst job I have never had......And it took me a year to get into the hospital I wanted first of all....so, I made the hospital I am at a per diem position and the other a full time.......but the taste of NC this whole year has really dampen my spirts here, that I want out soooo bad. Now I have an interview in florida,in the area I am from.........I know the pay will be less.......to where I'll have to get a second job.....part time, schools in NC are hard to get into, on a waiting list, I do just work the one job right now and barely manage....I was planning on working both hospitals.......so Im thinking 6 days a week to work.........taxes are high here , you pay taxes on everything......and they just went up again...........I don't get it!!..........the new hospital that I will be working at doesn't observed Thanksgiving, just Labor day, Memorial day , new years, christmas day,the hospital Im at now only gives night shift the eve of the holiday off[you got it Im a nite shifter] and makes you work the day of the holiday.......I have never heard of this before. how is someone like me........suppose to spend,just one holiday with my family I have no family here, they are all out of state! this year my holiday off is Thanksgiving,right? I only have the eve of Thanksgiving off and I m working Thanksgiving day at night and the next day which I requested both off[my birthday] I didn't have this problem anywhere in Florida!! lived there for 28 years......I was able to fly every year to visit my family on the holidays......To me they are not so family orientated. And they are very raceist up here! I have never herard the "N" word use so much, as I have here! And the word "Colored" It shocks me! On a daily basic......Im called a "Yankee" and its alwaypointed out that I have a ny accent!! EVERYDAY!!! Sorry.......Im from NJ........so do I give it another chance here........because Im making good money.........or do I go back to what I know? I didn't spend all my money for this in NC. They are backwards.........and where are all the Floridians that moved here?

Old 10-14-2009, 03:44 AM

324 posts, read 1,528,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigilano View Post
and where are all the Floridians that moved here?
i am still here 8 years later & i am making less here than I was in Tampa...OP: make sure you find a job first, it is hard in that field...i am in the same area(admin asst/etc) and i am having a hard time finding a job

Old 10-14-2009, 01:23 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigilano View Post
and where are all the Floridians that moved here?
I'm still here, three plus years later. I have advanced my administrative position twice since moving here, over just once during four years in FL. I know several other Floridians that like it here as well. I only know one who doesn't, and she is one of those people who can't handle the "cold" weather here.

It sounds to me that your main gripe is with your job, and the problems you have with it seem to be a field issue. Let's face it, hospitals can't exactly close just because there is a holiday. People don't choose when they need to get sick, so it is one of those necessary evils of the world. This area has some of the best hospitals in the country, and they are the best for a reason. Maybe you should try looking into a different field of work that has more flexibility, because I really don't see how any half-way decent hospital can shut down for the holidays...

As for the racism, I haven't seen it here any more than in FL. In fact, I saw more overt racism in the diverse city of Miami than I do here. Don't really know what to say in regard to that, maybe you have just had interactions with people I haven't and vice-versa.

But it sounds like you have you mind made up. You are probably best off going back to FL.

I would say the Admin field is tough here, because you don't have as much turnover. Don't forget to look into government entities as well. North Raleigh is generally safe for a single female, but it is a big area, and the area east of Falls of Neuse/Wake Forest Rd. can be a bit rougher in some places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary