Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:05 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,853,700 times

Advertisements

so says the News & Observer "Average airfares at Raleigh-Durham International Airport dropped in the first quarter, giving local travelers a welcome price break.
The average domestic fare at RDU was $270.65 during the first three months of the year, the U.S. Department of Transportation reports. That was down 10 percent from the same quarter last year.
And it was well below the national average of $314.94. The national average fare dropped 6 percent from last year.
RDU benefits from healthy competition, especially from low-fare carriers such as Southwest Airlines, which tends to keep prices down. Currently, nine major carriers serve RDU.

shame American are have a monopoly on flightsto Europe with daily flight to London as prices for that route are up

RDU flights are a bargain - Business - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1633175.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 12:43 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,012,389 times
Well..I kept reading about these crazy cheap flights out of RDU and then I decided to try to book one. And wouldn't you know...they're all sold out. On every flight from RDU to LAX on the dates I could possibly go between now and the end of September.
I'm thinking some of these fares are either bogus or were on sale for an extremely short period of time, because I am having a hard time actually booking any of them!

Old 08-05-2009, 06:02 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,702,181 times
Well, I'm not seeing it. Sure flights for the first 3 months of the year were decently priced. The problem is that the flights for the summer and later this year are extremely high. I'm talking $200 more for a flight to go out West in Sept or Nov versus what I paid for a Feb flight to go out West.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:08 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,043,768 times
The irony here astounds me. The airport authority now touts how RDU's non-hub status and mix of carriers keeps fares low and is good for the region. Not long ago they lobbied very hard to keep the AA hub in place because it was good for the region. It's all marketing spin that gets reported as news.

Personally I think the current mix works better for the region, as the hub did keep fares high, but that's just my spin

Frank

Old 08-05-2009, 07:27 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,905,545 times
I booked tickets 3 weeks ago for myself, my daughter and her boyfriend to fly from RDU to San Jose California for $112 each way for next week (they had the same fare flying into LAX as well since we thought we might go there first). They even had some for $99 but those were dates we couldn't fly.

LAMISHRA: Southwest has several days that are going for $104 now. In August, for example, any day from 8/25 through the 31st has these fares available.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 AM

675 posts, read 1,826,537 times
Long ago I gave up on trying to understand the logic of airline fares. Sometimes you get a great deal, sometimes you get hosed.

Paying $40 less than national average does not, to me, make up for the inconvenience of having to use connections so often. "Sure, we'll get you to Albany for $40 less than our competitors, but first let us show you the natural beauty of Laguardia, Hartsfield-Jackson and O'Hare on your way!"

Old 08-05-2009, 08:39 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,872,021 times
When I come from FL, it is so much cheaper to fly into Greensboro than RDU. I can get tickets on Allegiant Air for $29 each way. The cheapest fight on Southwest is $82 each way. They are both non-stop flights.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,012,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I booked tickets 3 weeks ago for myself, my daughter and her boyfriend to fly from RDU to San Jose California for $112 each way for next week (they had the same fare flying into LAX as well since we thought we might go there first). They even had some for $99 but those were dates we couldn't fly.

LAMISHRA: Southwest has several days that are going for $104 now. In August, for example, any day from 8/25 through the 31st has these fares available.
I'll check those out. Everything was sold out on the other carriers!

Old 08-05-2009, 04:06 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,277,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
Paying $40 less than national average does not, to me, make up for the inconvenience of having to use connections so often. "Sure, we'll get you to Albany for $40 less than our competitors, but first let us show you the natural beauty of Laguardia, Hartsfield-Jackson and O'Hare on your way!"
You realize Raleigh isn't the center of the universe and probably has about 20 people a day wanting to go direct to ALB right?

RDU isn't a hub, the way airline flying is set up is you connect to a hub and then leave on a spoke. Hub and spoke. Even SWA operates in a similar fashion making a lot of connections in BWI, MDW, and PHX.

As far as flights being cheap goes:

Airline performance 2Q 2009:
Alaska: -$19 million on revenue of $742 million
American: -$390 million on revenue of $4.3 billion
Airtran: $78 million on revenue of $536 million
Continental: -$213 million on revenue of $2.8 billion
Delta: -$257 million on revenue of $6.0 billion
jetBlue: $20 million on revenue of $720 million
SWA: $54 million on revenue of $2.5 billion
United: $28 million on revenue of $3.8 billion
US Airways: $58 million on revenue of $2.4 billion

Airlines are hardly ripping the public off. Let's take SWA for example, long the media darling. For every $100 you pay for your ticket the company nets $2 - a 2% profit margin. If the places where you folks worked had a 2% profit margin chances are you wouldn't be working there for much longer...

Old 08-05-2009, 06:07 PM

675 posts, read 1,826,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You realize Raleigh isn't the center of the universe and probably has about 20 people a day wanting to go direct to ALB right?
I am intimately aware of that fact, and how hubs and spokes work. I was just trying to make a funny about how difficult it is to get from one second-tier airport to another. Especially in this day and age of reduced fleets and crews. God forbid something happens to your connecting flight, otherwise you have to wait for a crew to get to you from Nashua and a plane from St. Louis.

EDIT: However, judging by your name and the fact that you offhandedly knew the airport code for Albany, I'm definitely not going to challenge you on knowledge of the airline industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary