Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 12:19 PM

140 posts, read 417,909 times

Advertisements

I had a fender bender the other day and I do mean fender.. no one was doing over 5 miles but fender got crumpled..had about 600 worth of damage.. then all of the sudden I have gotten so far 11 letters from Law firms wanting me to consult with them, etc.One of them offered me a "speedy recovery," and 15 letters from Chiropractors with words like "you might be hurt and not know it..call us free scan,etc" or the best" this accident might not cause you any problems until 6-8 months down the road WHEN YOU NOTICE THAT YOU CAN'T SLEEP"!!!
I come from a state that went "no fault" because of stuff like that.. Hurt your toe and sue for 2-3- hundred million ( I exxagerate a litte)
What keeps people from getting these letters , thinking about it , and then suing the pants off of people ? Do they have to prove that they were hurt someway after telling the police that they weren't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 02:40 PM

553 posts, read 1,271,685 times
Sadly, this is just another example of how the system has gone to hell in a hand-basket. I was an attorney in another state for my years and have seen it firsthand. There's a law firm in the state I used to live that had a satellite office right next to the county hospital.

Yes, people have to prove that they are injured. There are doctors on both sides with their own "opinions" as to whether or not the person was 'injured".

Old 08-09-2009, 03:18 PM

677 posts, read 1,902,760 times
Don't get me started! As a claims adjuster (I promise, one of the good ones and, yes, we do exist), I deal with this every day. In fact, when I got rear-ended myself I received letters explaining how adjusters aren't fair, I shouldn't trust them (me), etc. I am ALL FOR helping people who are legitimately injured, but those ads and letters encourage some people to embellish and to seek something for nothing. The attorney gets 1/3, the chiropractor gets about $3000, and we all get higher insurance premiums.

In answer to your question, they do have to prove that they were injured but I would venture to say that not one has ever consulted with a chiropractor who said "you are OK, you don't need treatment". Hope I'm wrong about that (and it could be that I just don't hear from those folks), but I doubt it.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:40 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
When someone hit my car running a red light, I got the same letters.

Called each telling them I'd never hire an ambulance chaser if I truly needed the services of someone in their profession.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:53 PM

553 posts, read 1,271,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdolls4me View Post
Don't get me started! As a claims adjuster (I promise, one of the good ones and, yes, we do exist), I deal with this every day. In fact, when I got rear-ended myself I received letters explaining how adjusters aren't fair, I shouldn't trust them (me), etc. I am ALL FOR helping people who are legitimately injured, but those ads and letters encourage some people to embellish and to seek something for nothing. The attorney gets 1/3, the chiropractor gets about $3000, and we all get higher insurance premiums.

In answer to your question, they do have to prove that they were injured but I would venture to say that not one has ever consulted with a chiropractor who said "you are OK, you don't need treatment". Hope I'm wrong about that (and it could be that I just don't hear from those folks), but I doubt it.
I hear ya! During my attorney days, I sat on both sides (plaintiff and insurance defense). There are some bad eggs out there. That's one of the reason why I left the legal profession.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:22 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
...oh my...haha, get it?

Old 08-10-2009, 06:13 AM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
...oh my...haha, get it?
I popped in here to same the same thing myself

Old 08-10-2009, 07:09 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
If someone hits me these days I'm just thankful if they even have insurance.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:53 AM

220 posts, read 866,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If someone hits me these days I'm just thankful if they even have insurance.
haha good point!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:15 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Jeez, chiropractors too? Wow, that's low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary