Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:01 AM

64 posts, read 251,186 times

Advertisements

I don't think I ever switch the dial to FM. I can't stand the music offerings in the Triangle so I stick with sports talk. About one and a half years ago 100.7 the River was an AWESOME station. You could hear a good mix of songs that weren't normal radio fare and there were very few commercials and even less DJ talk. It was around the time we bought our house and made for great painting and ceiling scraping music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 11:19 AM

41 posts, read 104,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsForks View Post
I don't think I ever switch the dial to FM. I can't stand the music offerings in the Triangle so I stick with sports talk. About one and a half years ago 100.7 the River was an AWESOME station. You could hear a good mix of songs that weren't normal radio fare and there were very few commercials and even less DJ talk. It was around the time we bought our house and made for great painting and ceiling scraping music.
Prior to getting SIRIUS, thats what I listened to also, either 850 The Buzz or 620AM

Old 04-24-2007, 11:36 AM

105 posts, read 391,337 times
About the only station I find fit to listen to is Y102.9, but there's room for improvement there...I used to travel to Raleigh a few times every year prior to my move and remember Oldies 100.7 - it used to be good also.

The River was good back in late 2004 but it's boring now just the same songs over...and over....and over.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:20 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaNewbie View Post
I am in my late 20s, so I prefer alternative rock and there is absolutely nothing to listen to on the radio! It's either bootie shake music or old "jurassic rock". What do the college kids around here listen to? I think I will probably be forced to join the crowd and get satellite radio for my car.
Ditto, but I'm in my 40's. I'm asking for a satellite radio for my birthday this year. I've put up with local radio for the last 9 months because I had a short commute (10-15 min each way). But, now that we bought a house farther from my office, I'll need to break down and get the satellite radio.

Can't decide between XM and Sirius, and I can't decide between "plug-n-play" and permanent. I don't want to use an FM modulator, but I want the flexibility of being able to use it in my wife's car and at home.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:27 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Ditto, but I'm in my 40's. I'm asking for a satellite radio for my birthday this year. I've put up with local radio for the last 9 months because I had a short commute (10-15 min each way). But, now that we bought a house farther from my office, I'll need to break down and get the satellite radio.

Can't decide between XM and Sirius, and I can't decide between "plug-n-play" and permanent. I don't want to use an FM modulator, but I want the flexibility of being able to use it in my wife's car and at home.
Why don't you want to use the FM modulator? Works great on both our cars.

I can completely recommend Sirius...great variety and speciality stations.

I have one of the new radios that not only go in my car, but is portable, can be used as an MP3 player, plugged into a home base or to catch the internet broadcasts on wi-fi. I love it.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:44 PM

401 posts, read 1,623,914 times
Yeah, i'm on the road all day and love the sirius radio too.
Unfortunatly, radio here has never been what i would call great, although it used to be better than it is now. 96.1 used to be pretty good, till' they changed to "everything that rocks" a year or two ago.That is when i took the plunge into satallite radio.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:04 PM

81 posts, read 301,361 times
I heard that Sirius and XM are merging--don't know for sure, but it might make for a more varied selection of stations!

Old 04-24-2007, 03:29 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
I have to agree - radio here is just plain lousy. There are bright spots: WUNC is a terrific NPR news/talk station (no classical, just NPR, American Public Media, and BBC. -- except for bluegrass/Americana music on Fri/Sat/Sun nights.) The Story with Dick Gordon, late of WBUR's The Connection, originates from WUNC as do some other national programs and Marketplace pieces. Also, there's a great member-supported non-NPR public radio station, WCPE, and Duke and UNC have good college radio stations if you're into that scene. NC Central also has a great jazz station.

Outside of that... I've been underwhelmed. I have heard that some of Capitol Broadcasting's stations are programming interesting channels on HD Radio (the new digital standard, which gives over-the-air stations extra channels), including an Adult Album Alternative (AAA) format station that resembles the lost The River 100.7 format. However, you do need the special new HD Radio, which comes in only a few cars now and is just starting to hit the market.

Me, I listen to my XM satellite radio 80% of the time, and to WUNC the other 20%. (Presets: X Country, XM Cafe, The Loft, Hear Music, Flight 26, and Lucy, if you care

Old 04-24-2007, 03:52 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Why don't you want to use the FM modulator?
The FM modulator doesn't give you "CD quality" sound. Listen to an FM radio station, and then listen to a CD. That's the difference.

My wife is the same as you. She's happy with having a "boom box" in our house for her music needs. Me? I have this monster stereo that cost me thousands of dollars and can shake the foundation.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:55 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
When I moved here last year I actually thought there was a pretty decent selection of radio stations (then again, radio in Miami is a joke, so I'm easy to please). However, when Clear Channel came in and took over everything (much like they did in most of FL as well), everything went to crap. I try to listen to the college station when I can get reception, but I find myself using the ipod a lot. I was so excited when I first got here and actually thought the radio was going to be good...I especially liked the River at night when they would play 80's music. Oh well. Maybe if everyone stops listening to the Clear Channel stations, they'll move on out and let the good stuff come back in (but I think that's wishful thinking).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary