Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:49 PM

30 posts, read 124,947 times

Advertisements

Let me start out by saying, I'm a Northerner... I preface this with that comment, because that has a LOT to do with the question I'm about to ask, lol.

I'm looking for a Roast Beef Sub that is made like it is up North - specifically in the Boston/Cape Cod area. I used to live in New Bedford, MA, home (IMHO) of the BEST roast beef subs ever. Here is what I'm looking for -

Roast beef that is actually cooked BEFORE it is put on the sub roll. There is no oven to just "heat" it up... I'm talking grilled and greasy roast beef, plenty of provolone, even more mayo and all the fixings.

I have searched through several states (PA, FL, RI even) and I have not found anything like it... and that continues in NC. Here I find the roast beef subs just like the other states, where they put cold roast beef on a roll and throw it through an oven so you end up with rare roast beef on a roll.

So, has anyone found this sub yet? And please, don't say Arby's... lol. I don't care where it is around here, I will drive anywhere for this type of sub. It has been about 5 years since I have had one, and I'm dying... so anyone know of a great roast beef sub that is grilled and not oven cooked?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 07:13 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,170 times
If you find it pm me.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:22 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
I don't know, but you might check out Blinko's on Glennwood Ave. Their menu features several regional favorites, such as a Pittsburgh Dagwood Sammich, and Upstate NY Hot Dogs (White or Red), good reubens and several others.

It's the first thing that came to mind, and definitely worth a shot,

Also, if you're ever in Chicago, try their Italian Beef Sammiches up there. Very good. Not exactly what you described, but I think you'd be pretty satisfied also. The whole thing is dipped in Au Jous and then put sloppily on the plate to make a delicious mess. Yum!

Old 02-06-2010, 05:08 PM

18 posts, read 52,021 times
Have you tried Jason's Deli?

Old 02-06-2010, 07:47 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Sadlacks Heroes on Hillsborough St (if they are still there) either do this or can do this if you ask em. ALso, Boondini's Subs at Celebration at Six Forks Shopping Ctr could do it for you. Just tell what you wrote here, it's a piece of cake to make.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:06 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
I stumbled across Jersey Mike's Subs steak sandwiches. They are liberal with the toppings, the green peppers are flavorful and the meat is so precooked hot that when they give it to you, the meat is too hot to eat for a bit. It does require a few minutes wait, but well worth it.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:38 AM

76 posts, read 173,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I stumbled across Jersey Mike's Subs steak sandwiches. They are liberal with the toppings, the green peppers are flavorful and the meat is so precooked hot that when they give it to you, the meat is too hot to eat for a bit. It does require a few minutes wait, but well worth it.
To the Original Poster - I am in the Upstate of SC, and we have Jersey Mike's, too. I am originally from the Greater Lowell, MA area, so I know exactly what you are looking for, and miss them, too. Every trip home includes a stop to Harrison's RB in N. Andover, or Jillie's in Lowell.

Jersey Mike's reminds me of D'Angelo's.

We just got a place down here called Fromano's that serves the RB sandwiches like you are looking for. They also have "Beantown Favorites" designated by a hanging pair of Red Sox...

Will have to try their pizza. I miss Papa Gino's...

Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 PM

30 posts, read 86,202 times
Subconscious on Hillsborough will make a sub like this. It's something extra you have to ask for, but they will grill the stuff first and then bake the whole thing in the roll if you want that too.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:58 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,170 times
Okay I found a place that probably does not realize how close they are to serving New England Style Roast Beef.

On Franklin Street in chapel hill

Menu For Top This Roast Beef Burgers & More - Franklin Street - Chapel Hill NC Restaurant - Lunch - Dinner - Late Night Dining - Top This

Now truth be told, if you go in with the expectation that you're going to get a Bill and Bob's, or Kelly's Roast beef, your setting your expectations too high, but they are close.

Here is where they miss the mark.

1. The BBQ sauce is more of a sweet sauce and less spicey. I'm actually thinking of bringing my James River BBQ sauce with me next time.

2. The amount of beef they loaded on my sub. I would say it is about half of what you'd get up north.

But the meat is shaved, and served hot. I'll go back.

I've always said if Bill and Bob's Roast Beef or similar opened in Cary, someone would become rich. I grew up in Peabody MA where you can hit a nine iron between Roast Beef Sandwich shops.

Outside of Arby's, which will never see my shadow. North Carolina does not have a Roast Beef Shop that I can find. Off the top of my head I can remember:
Land and Sea-Peabody
Bill and Bobs many locations
Macs Roast beef-Peabody
Kelley's Roast Beef many locations
Nick's Roast Beef-Peabody
Surpremes in Danvers---My favorite
New England Roast Beef-Worcestor
Riley's Roast beef-Framingham
All Start Roast beef-Auburn

But none in NC....People here tend to like there pork more I guess.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:24 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird View Post
Every trip home includes a stop to Harrison's RB in N.
Same here! I used to work in Andover so I ate there weekly. Large with SOS.

I haven't found any here like that - in sandwich form. I will try your recommendation though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary