Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:23 PM

9 posts, read 30,990 times

Advertisements

Are there any good spots near Chapel Hill? The one in Durham sounds great but a little far for me. Also, I have noticed it has been hazy the last few days and I really can't see any stars but will I be able to see stuff when I get out of the city lights? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 04:51 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
I went one time on a bridge/pier off of Lake Johnson in Raleigh by NCSU. We watched a meteor shower and it was quite nice. The skies were clear and the city lights were far enough away that the show was easily visible.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:18 PM

73 posts, read 295,177 times
Bumping an old blog since Geminid meteor shower is set to peak in the early hours of December 14, 2010.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 AM

4 posts, read 9,888 times
Well, I'm a day late and (at least) a dollar short, but for the future..

Northern Durham is probably the best and closest place to actually see the stars with little to no light pollution. Personally I think the best place is right at the top of the hill on Moore's Mill Rd, though the lights at the farm nearby might be on. But anywhere in between Bahama & Roxboro has little in the way of light pollution and should afford you a pretty decent chance to see stars/showers.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:10 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Don't forget the total lunar eclipse on December 21 st

NASA - Eclipses During 2010

Frank

Old 12-17-2010, 11:33 AM

596 posts, read 1,240,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
This reminds me of the time in Florida after Hurrican Wilma came through and took out literally almost everything in Broward County. The first night after the storm I went to walk the dog. You could not see 1 foot in front of you. My kids went with me because it was so dark and they didn't want me out alone. We were totally amazed at all the stars because there were no lights anywhere. We just stood there an looked up for the longest time. It was beautiful. The next night some areas got the lights back and if it was 20 miles away it stuck out. But it also changed the stargazing. We still talk about that experience sometimes. My husband talks about when he was in the navy and what you could see out at sea.

This is a great thread and I hope to check out some of the place listed on those websites.
Interesting, You speak of Hurricane Wilma and your experiance in Broward, funny that was the "the straw that broke the camels back" for us after almost 30 years in Plantation we moved to NC (Johnston County) how do you like it here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary