Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:15 PM

46 posts, read 308,084 times

Advertisements

I'll assume you're referring to cookie cutter houses and anal HOA's.

If so, then, yes.

I mean come on, cat leash laws and you can't leave you're garage door open...what ever.

I mean, this is Norfth Carolina, isn't it?

Remember, most people answering live in Cary, so of course everything's rosy.

Look to Clayton or Garner if you're trying to escape what I think you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 04:35 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerfan View Post

If so, then, yes.

I mean come on, cat leash laws and you can't leave you're garage door open...what ever.

Cary does not have a law againest having your garage door open. Do not confused indivdual HOAs (which are not all that bad either) with the actual laws of an area.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:02 PM

18,079 posts, read 15,664,302 times
And not ALL communities within Cary are controlled by HOAs. I live in an older community (21 yrs old) not far from downtown, and there is no HOA. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. No HOA, no fees, no rules outside of those imposed by the Town of Cary.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:04 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,089 times
You, my friend, hit the nail on the head! Literally the first day I drove around Cary I remarked to my RE that this place seemed exactly like a place called Irvine...which immediately turned me off. Its the cookie cutter, perfectly manicured curving beltways and the feeling that every stop light you were at...every corner looked just like the last and the one before & the one before. Never liked Irvine although I worked there for years. Cary is exactly the NC version of it....although there is only one original ; ) You could start with Cary, triple it, add more money and the OC attitude, you have Irvine.

I don't hate Cary, I shop there like everyone else, its just not my bag...

Old 08-08-2009, 08:13 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerfan View Post

If so, then, yes.

"I mean, this is Norfth Carolina, isn't it?"
Not in Cary it isn't.

OP should recognize that there will be responses from people who have never even been to Cary, North Carolina.

Well, shucks. I can leave my Cary garage door open for hours, days, months, even, without fear of any repercussion from town or nonexistent HOA.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:53 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
The myth is not true. Cary is more like a girl that was plain looking in high school and has grown to be a an attractive young woman. How attractive? Come out and see for yourself.
That completely depends on whether you consider a once-small town with local history, character and charm that has now become an exact replica of 1,000 other "wherevers" in Anywhere, USA (apparently including Irvine, CA), full of chain stores, transplants with no knowledge of the local culture, cookie-cutter houses, and identical subdivisions to have gotten better or worse.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:26 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,796 times
Default Preaching to the choir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
That completely depends on whether you consider a once-small town with local history, character and charm that has now become an exact replica of 1,000 other "wherevers" in Anywhere, USA (apparently including Irvine, CA), full of chain stores, transplants with no knowledge of the local culture, cookie-cutter houses, and identical subdivisions to have gotten better or worse.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but then again… I live in Wake Forest.

There are plenty of places in America that look just like Cary, NC and that’s why people with little imagination keep moving there. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have anything against Cary but it reminded me so much of the place I left that I chose to go a different route.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:35 AM

84 posts, read 297,979 times
I'm loving all the comments! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and observations.

I think Irvine, CA and Orange County in general is alot like Cary in that people tend to either love or hate and there aren't many who are in the middle-ground when it comes to how they feel about these two cities.

Personally for the record, I love Irvine and was hoping to love Cary too if we decide to move there. We are definitely moving next year but we keep going back and forth between Sammamish WA, Greenwich/Darien CT, and Cary NC. We are Squares (yes, with a capital S) and we don't mind being in a restrictive HOA environment with manicured lawns. Yes I love towns with character as well but to be totally honest, I believe raising my kids in a safe suburb would be the most stable place for them. I figure if the worst of their complaints regarding their childhood growing up in a suburb like Irvine or Cary is to say that it was "dull" or "boring" compared to say growing up in NY then we've done a decent enough job as parents . We want to give them a safe, nurturing environment and the rest is up to them. After they leave the nest I have plans to travel the world and soak up all the character I need. Of course from a newcomer's eyes Cary, NC has a ton of character and history compared to where we live in California!

PS for those who say it's completely different in the people and attitude... how so? Please elaborate! I am going nuts not being able to decide between WA, CT, and NC!

Old 08-10-2009, 05:32 AM

646 posts, read 2,050,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarHazard View Post
we don't mind being in a restrictive HOA environment with manicured lawns. Yes I love towns with character as well but to be totally honest, I believe raising my kids in a safe suburb would be the most stable place for them.
You know....wow....there is a huge gulf between unsafe town and a restrictive HOA.

Imagine that....the rest of us are raising stable kids outside of Cary.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:40 AM

280 posts, read 741,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"I mean, this is Norfth Carolina, isn't it?"
Not in Cary it isn't.

OP should recognize that there will be responses from people who have never even been to Cary, North Carolina.

Well, shucks. I can leave my Cary garage door open for hours, days, months, even, without fear of any repercussion from town or nonexistent HOA.
Thank you Mike. We live in Cary and our HOA has no restrictions on garages being open. The same goes for the color - our neighborhood is certainly not beige ( but no hot pink either thank you)
IMO OP should visit the 3 places they like and then make a decision for themselves. I think this board is especially harsh on Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary