Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:18 PM

84 posts, read 298,028 times

Advertisements

Hello all Californian Transplants and anyone else who is familiar with Irvine, CA.. are the rumors true? Is Cary, NC really alot like Irvine, CA?

Anyone care to do a Compare/Contrast between these two cities?

All input, opinions, positive and/or negative are welcome! Now accepting your two cents in any virtual monetary form.

Thanks so much in advance! And have an awesome day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 07:11 PM

171 posts, read 430,287 times
In the sense that they're both highly suburban, and relatively well manicured...I'd give that a yes.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:28 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
^^^^ true. other commonalities include being in close proximity to a larger city (in this case Raleigh or Durham), close proximity to the airport (RDU), and a decent outdoor ampitheater.

differences:

1) No Spectrum

2) RDU isn't technically in Irvine like John Wayne is.

3) Not as many of the endless corporate hi-rises, and probably less industry overall.

4) No beach nearby

5) Probably not as ethnically diverse

Mike

Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 PM

7,149 posts, read 4,742,203 times
Have lived in NC for many years. Although I have never lived in CA, I have visited all parts of that state during different seasons of the year, and can say that imo nowhere in CA is like anywhere in NC. No way. No how.
best,
toodie

Old 08-08-2009, 04:57 AM

174 posts, read 407,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarHazard View Post
Hello all Californian Transplants and anyone else who is familiar with Irvine, CA.. are the rumors true? Is Cary, NC really alot like Irvine, CA?

Anyone care to do a Compare/Contrast between these two cities?

All input, opinions, positive and/or negative are welcome! Now accepting your two cents in any virtual monetary form.

Thanks so much in advance! And have an awesome day!
I have lived in both, and in my opinion, there is no comparison. I think that wherever you live, the people define the area more than anything else; and the differences between the Irvine people and the people in the Triangle is night and day.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:36 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
.....the people define the area more than anything else; and the differences between the Irvine people and the people in the Triangle is night and day.

OK, I will bite. Which city is night, and which is day?

lln

Old 08-08-2009, 06:57 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
I lived in CA for about 40 years and the 2 are sooooo different IMO.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:45 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,091,305 times
Default No Californication in Cary, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarHazard View Post
The myth is not true. Cary is more like a girl that was plain looking in high school and has grown to be a an attractive young woman. How attractive? Come out and see for yourself.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:03 PM

532 posts, read 2,845,621 times
We moved to Raleigh from Irvine last year. IMO, yes, Cary is the NC city that is the most similar in feel to Irvine. Suburban feel, well manicured (however, Irvine is way more "Stepford" and posted apology signs when they were referbishing the lawns), and ethnically diverse (but Irvine is extreme - sometimes it drove me crazy to go to Target or the grocery store and the clerk could hardly speak english (usually Farsi, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, French, etc.).

Again, IMO Cary is the NC city that is the most like Irvine. But it's not just like Irvine.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:44 PM

186 posts, read 659,797 times
I think it's more like Santa Clarita or a new Torrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary