Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 01:54 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are both in healthcare. We chose Cary because of it's central location as we had no idea where we would end up working. Ultimately, we both ended up at Duke in Durham. I work at Duke Raleigh one day a week now (Mon) and am in Durham Tues-Fri. I am equidistant to both - just over 19 miles. If I was at WakeMed, it might be an extra 5 minutes. I also interviewed at UNC which was about 23-24 miles.

I think you can still find a nice home in Cary in the lower 200s....most likely dating from the 1980s to early 1990s. I just did a property search, there are over 40 homes in Cary for less than 240K....many of them look very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 03:24 PM

16 posts, read 33,405 times
AJ

Apex and Holly Springs are great areas to look. Apex has more of an established downtown with Holly Springs in more of a growth spurt the past dozen years. There is a proposed local hospital that is trying to open in the near future in Holly Springs. Go to hollyspringsnc.com and check out the website.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:50 PM

320 posts, read 1,070,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Are Rolesville and Holly Springs far from "convenience" (shopping, hospitals, recreations, etc.).
Right now we live within a 5 min drive of everything.
Of course I know this will not be possible in another state, but I don't want to be far either

There is so much construction in this area that no matter where you decide on, you will not be more than 5 minutes (10 max) from about three different -- and fairly major -- shopping areas.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:57 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Holly Springs is about 15 minutes from "major" shopping but it does have it's share of grocery stores and drug stores. There's a new (huge and very clean) super Walmart in Holly Springs among other smaller stores. Target and Lowes are planned for this area sometime in the near future as well.

Most of what I need I can get right here in Holly Springs but I do enjoy shopping and Beaver Creek (Apex) and Crossroads (Cary) are both only about a 15 minute drive from HS. Fuquay-Varina is very close as well (about a 7 minute drive) and they have a lot of shopping/dining in that area including a new Kohls store.

The parks and rec here in HS has some really great programming with leagues and activities and we do have a dance studio, martial arts centers, library and cultural center and a nice park (Womble) for outdoor activities. Family movies are shown outside at both Womble and Bass Lake parks, Womble also hosts a fall festival and a kids festival during the year. HS also has it's own Holiday Parade in December

A few subdivisions to consider for HS in your price range would be the following:

Holly Glen
Arbor Creek
Braxton Village
Windcrest
Bridgewater
Autumn Park
Chelsea Woods
Valleyfield

Old 08-10-2009, 02:38 PM

835 posts, read 2,877,846 times
I think this may be an old post, but anyway, don't neglect to look at Reynolds Mill in Wake Forest. I can't believe how low the cost of homes in our subdivision have dropped, unfortunately for us I guess, but great for someone who's looking. They currently have an inventory home which features 4 bedrooms, 3-1/2 baths, bonus room, and more for low 240s. A few other inventories going up and many more lots available. Pool scheduled for summer 2010.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:09 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,616 times
Apex definitely has it... at least in my neighborhood ( all under 250k ) and a couple of other subdivisions. We live in Holland's Crossing off Olive Chapel, houses started to be built in 1998. We've only been there 3 years but tons of families and kids. Many transplants ( as we are ) are here as well. Hope that helps!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:36 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,949 times
You can get houses in the low 200s in Morrisville. They aren't from the 90s forward. They were built around 1987. We have one of them and love it. When you search the realtor dot com website, put in your 4 bedroom requirement and max of $300,000. When the search results pop up, choose the map version. Look at the houses around the intersection of Waltons Creek and Morrisville Parkway. There is two 4 bedrooms in my neighborhood there for $219,000 and $215,000. And about 18 more 4 bedroom houses in Morrisville. Morrisville is a good location for getting on I-40. It takes me 20 minutes to get my job in downtown Raleigh from there.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:48 PM

299 posts, read 635,307 times
We moved to Holly Springs about 18 months ago and many people on this forum had warned me against the area because we'd be so "far away" from things. LOL, definitely not a problem as I've come to quickly learn the area. I'm no more than 15 minutes from anything I need, unless it's a specialty item. Even Crabtree is just about 15 minutes from where I am in HS. I love the area and the people here and throughout Wake County. HS is growing quickly and from what I've seen they're destined to become an even better place to live as far as amenities go within the near future. I figure since I have to get in my car to go anywhere, what's 10 to 15 minutes? I especially love driving through the area in the fall with the beautiful change of color in the trees evident everywhere I look. Your money goes a long way in this area, definitely check it out. Good luck with your home search!

Old 09-14-2009, 04:45 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Can you get a newer home (built in the late 90's to present) in the low $200's in a safe, nice area of Wake County?
You can also find something good in Durham County. Some people think Wake has better schools, but if you plan to continue homeschooling, that won't matter. There are plenty of homes built in the past 15 years - even homes being built now - that are under $225,000. Most are in HOAs, but a few are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary