Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:26 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleprompter in Chief View Post
I completely understand what you mean by this, UK. A select few will try to convince you that urban Durham & Raleigh are safe, but they have to make exceptions for so many issues. It is either safe or not. In the case of urban Durham & Raleigh, they are not.

Understanding how you feel, I can assure you that you would hate living in either of these two areas. Chapel Hill would be much better, but over priced. This is why I think Apex, Cary and Wake Forest would be the best bets for you. VERY safe, good schools and very nice. It may mean a slightly longer commute, but it is well worth the trade off. These places are within 30 minutes, so they meet your criteria.

Please do not be suckered in by some alternate version of safe. I understand what you want and you would be wise to check into the locations I have suggested for you.
You are wrong and you keep spreading lies. Most of Durham is just as safe as those areas and less than half the commute! So urban Durham isn't for them. There are so many other great options that fit what they are wanting. The places most of have listed are very safe and great schools. UK, please just make a visit and see for yourself, as there are trolls on here who continuously change their name to spread their ignorant lies. Do the research on crime and schools and you will see. Again, I think you will find what you are looking for in N/NW Durham for the land, price range, schools, and safety. Try the commute during the hours you would be driving to Cary, Apex, and Wake Forest and if you don't mind sitting in the car that long and missing quality family time, then at least you made the best decision for yourself.

And Charlton, don't give me crap about it's just your opinion and that's how you feel. You don't know anything about the schools and safety in most of Durham as the only part you are even remotely familiar with is SW Durham. Lets stick to the facts and let someone else form an opinion about whether they like a place or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 04:38 PM

225 posts, read 574,927 times
Quote:
This is why I think Apex, Cary and Wake Forest would be the best bets for you. VERY safe, GREAT schools and VERY nice. It may mean a slightly longer commute, but it is well worth the trade off. These places are within 30 minutes, so they meet your criteria.
Charlton, would you stop telling this person that Apex and Wake Forest are viable options? Jeez! What if they work in Durham on the Chapel Hill side. They should commute from Apex or Wake Forest? It can take 25 minutes to get across Durham in rush hour alone

Old 08-13-2009, 04:49 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
The OP said that s/he will be working in northern Durham. Therefore, Apex is an extremely odd suggestion. Why suggest that s/he should sit in the traffic that cuts through RTP every day when s/he won't even be working in RTP? There's no need. It simply makes no sense. Based on what the OP wants, Hillsborough and the neighborhoods of northern Durham are far more reasonable suggestions. Mebane might work, too.

Last edited by MrsSteel; 08-13-2009 at 04:57 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 04:55 PM

54 posts, read 160,960 times
I love living in Mebane and commuting to Durham. 20-25 minutes to downtown. No stoplights from my driveway to Downtown Durham. I live on the East Side of Mebane on the Orange Co. side. Very reasonable prices, great area, very active community...

Old 08-13-2009, 08:24 PM

190 posts, read 1,075,662 times
As I have said previously.... I used to drive from Wake Forest to Duke, took the 540 to the 147... It was about 45 minutes for the trip. It wasn't horrible, but I now live in Durham and couldn't be happier with my 10 minute commute.

I love Durham, and there are many wonderful areas to choose from in Durham, but if it isn't what you are after, Raleigh, Cary or Chapel Hill are options too...Quite honestly, having living in Coventry, England for a year, I saw far more violence, grafitti, and vandelism than I have during my year in Durham.... Something to think about.... Hey, Charlton, I thought we were trying to 'respect' (I wondered where he went, but didn't dare ask!).....
To the OP, good luck!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:36 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,817 times
Quote:
I completely understand what you mean by this, UK. A select few will try to convince you that urban Durham & Raleigh are safe, but they have to make exceptions for so many issues. It is either safe or not. In the case of urban Durham & Raleigh, they are not.
That's a ridiculous point of view and not at all backed up by facts. The crime data is out there for everyone to view: most of urban Durham is quite safe. Most of urban Raleigh is VERY safe. If these areas were really unsafe, they wouldn't be highly populated with professionals with kids.

I agree that Trinity Park and other urban neighborhoods in either city probably aren't what the OP needs for his price point and land requirements. He would be probably be better served by more rural or suburban areas north of I-85 or to the east and west of the city, as other posters have suggested. Apex is way too far for a reasonable commute to North Durham - 30 minutes is NOT realistic. Wake Forest is a nice town (I lived there for 4 years) and might be a slightly better commute via Highway 98, but still not great.

Last edited by lb27608; 08-13-2009 at 08:54 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 09:20 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
"If you had to work in Durham, where would be the best place to live."

Raleigh!!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 PM

6 posts, read 5,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
"If you had to work in Durham, where would be the best place to live."

Raleigh!!
Funny, but you should careful with sarcasm on here. People who aren't familiar with the area might think you actually want to live in Raleigh!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:47 AM

44 posts, read 92,906 times
OK.

I had a look last night at lots of the places mentioned, bearing in mind I'm using t'internet for that research...

When I look at properties in the Durham areas and the corresponding schools they get GreatSchools ratings of between 3 and 6 out of 10.

When you look at Chapel Hill and Carrborro, they are 8 or 9 out of 10.

Whilst the Durham properties look nice and have attractive prices the schools info looks . I'm not a fan of private schools, we had a bad experience with my son when he went to a private Kindergaten.

South of Chapel Hill has some interesting property, past Dogwood Acres, Google maps puts the commute at 40 minutes to Baggtown, is that realistic?

The rural area a couple of miles south of CH looks nice, along the

Old 08-14-2009, 05:16 AM

100 posts, read 242,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Monkey View Post
OK.

I had a look last night at lots of the places mentioned, bearing in mind I'm using t'internet for that research...

When I look at properties in the Durham areas and the corresponding schools they get GreatSchools ratings of between 3 and 6 out of 10.

When you look at Chapel Hill and Carrborro, they are 8 or 9 out of 10.

Whilst the Durham properties look nice and have attractive prices the schools info looks . I'm not a fan of private schools, we had a bad experience with my son when he went to a private Kindergaten.

South of Chapel Hill has some interesting property, past Dogwood Acres, Google maps puts the commute at 40 minutes to Baggtown, is that realistic?

The rural area a couple of miles south of CH looks nice, along the
Where are you getting this information from?

Moderator cut: Not necessary

Riverside and Northern Durham are great schools in North Durham. Jordan is a great school in southern Durham. Perhaps not as good as Chapel Hill High, but... The forty minute commute you say the evil search engine which shall not be named is accurate assuming -- non-rush hour, no accidents, etc.. I would also add that this area of southern Orange and Chatham counties are growing and have expectation of explosive growth over the next decade and more assuming we somehow get through this economic disaster.

Moderator cut: Political statements go in the Politics/Other Controversies forum, thanks.

If you plan to spend any great amount of time in the home purchased and the job taken...then your commute will only grow longer over time if you choose Chatham county / SOuthern Orange. That 40 minute commute in perfect conditions will grow to ???

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-14-2009 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Be polite and stay on topic please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary