Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:51 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Just curious who you had do it and costs involved? I have a tract home with a paltry 9'x11' patio that I want to make into a 9'x17.5' patio (around 150 sq ft). Basically ending it on one side to make an "L". Very simple.

Doing it myself I'm looking at around $230 for the concrete + delivery, and maybe around $50 in tools + another or so $100 in additional materials (leveling sand etc). Not sure what paying someone to add on a 9'x6.5' section would cost. If it's under $800 I might consider hiring it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 08:32 AM

393 posts, read 673,350 times
Why ask only tract home owners? The cost would be the same to add this to a custom home.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:03 AM

15 posts, read 85,043 times
We had Greenscape in Holly Springs extend our patio by 220 sq/ft using belgard arbel stone pavers. The cost was about $3900 and they did a great job.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:13 AM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
My one tip is to check your plot plan to see how much impervious surface area you have left. A lot of tract homes don't even have enough left to be able to extend their patio. Although I think there are some new pervious patio materials out there, but I'm not familiar with them.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:09 PM

I'm not even sure what that means!

Here is what I was thinking.

I've got a few options:

1) Just tie in the new patio section w/ rebar and pour concrete
2) Rip the old patio out and pour another slab. That'll be about $450 in concrete + extra materials
3) Rip out the old patio and put down pavers: around $3.50/sq ft like these from Lowes:

Wife doesn't like this option and while the most expensive (probably under $1000 total still) I personally think it would look the best.

Then we're thinking of building a pergola over top.

I personally wanted to extend the patio outward from the house but the wife said no...

Almost forgot to mention, it's a strictly middle class neighborhood w/ homes for the $170-$190 range. So I really didn't want to throw a couple grand at it.
Attached Thumbnails
Tract home owners: anyone extend their patios?-p1010752.jpg  

Last edited by wheelsup; 08-15-2009 at 01:45 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I'm not even sure what that means!

Here is what I was thinking.

I've got a few options:

1) Just tie in the new patio section w/ rebar and pour concrete
2) Rip the old patio out and pour another slab. That'll be about $450 in concrete + extra materials
3) Rip out the old patio and put down pavers: around $3.50/sq ft like these from Lowes:

Wife doesn't like this option and while the most expensive (probably under $1000 total still) I personally think it would look the best.

Then we're thinking of building a pergola over top.

I personally wanted to extend the patio outward from the house but the wife said no...

Almost forgot to mention, it's a strictly middle class neighborhood w/ homes for the $170-$190 range. So I really didn't want to throw a couple grand at it.
Pour the concrete yourself and use the savings to fix the buckled siding you have. You need to be very careful how much you put into lower end priced homes. You can do a stamped surface to make it look better. It's very easy.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:18 PM

Yep that's what I was going to do. Would you rip up the old patio and pour one slab or just tie it in w/ rebar and a spacer? Thing is if I pour an entire new slab it's almost the same cost as doing the pavers.

We're mostly doing this for practicality so that is my main concern but I want it to look semi-decent. Funny thing about that siding - it was supposed to be fixed by the previous homeowner but I didn't see it on my walk thru when I signed the papers. I wish I could've done the inspection with the inspector but I was 4 hours away.

Any idea how much that would cost to replace? I can't imagine more than $50 in materials. If I can find it!

Old 08-15-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Yep that's what I was going to do. Would you rip up the old patio and pour one slab or just tie it in w/ rebar and a spacer? Thing is if I pour an entire new slab it's almost the same cost as doing the pavers.

We're mostly doing this for practicality so that is my main concern but I want it to look semi-decent. Funny thing about that siding - it was supposed to be fixed by the previous homeowner but I didn't see it on my walk thru when I signed the papers. I wish I could've done the inspection with the inspector but I was 4 hours away.

Any idea how much that would cost to replace? I can't imagine more than $50 in materials. If I can find it!
The cost would not be much, but finding an exact match is more of a challenge.

I would leave a small open area in the corner, so you can install a trellis and plant a vine. This way you can have some color and it will cover the siding issue. All you need to do is adjust your pour.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:37 PM

15 posts, read 85,043 times
Here is some pictures of our patio so you can see how the pavers tie into the existing slab. I would recommend the paver route if you can talk the wife into it.
Attached Thumbnails
Tract home owners: anyone extend their patios?-dsc00025.jpg   Tract home owners: anyone extend their patios?-dsc00037.jpg   Tract home owners: anyone extend their patios?-dsc00038.jpg  

Old 08-15-2009, 06:14 PM

38 posts, read 151,668 times
Thanks so much for posting this! I am planning to do a similar job next summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary