Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:10 AM

5 posts, read 6,785 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for all the help. It looks like I should check out South Durham and North Raleigh when I go up there next month.

Yes, quick access to the interstates is important to me. Thanks for pointing out the issue of driving into the sun on I-40 west in the evening- I had not even thought about that. I have to drive into the sun on I-10 when I drive to Tallahassee in the evening and it is blinding! By the way, my work hours are unusual- I will be driving to work at 5 pm. Is there a 5 pm commute area that I want to avoid?

Also, PDXmom mentioned plane noise in Morrisville. Are there areas in Morrisville and North Raleigh where this is a big issue?

I probably won't buy a house there until my house here in Florida sells. In the meantime, do you have any suggestions on how I should go about finding a rental house? I will be visiting the area next month and then probably won't be able to come back until I move the first week of December. So, any ideas on how I can find a rental from here? I have 2 dogs.

Thanks- all your help is really appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 08:39 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
Aircraft noise at RDU has diminshed greatly over the years due to reduced flights and quieter aircraft. This link will give you an idea of the noise contours in 2005 (scroll down to page 19 or so):

http://www.rduaircraftnoise.com/nois...U_2005_DNL.pdf

You probably want to avoid I40 East at 5PM through RTP/Cary. A good way to check traffic is to look here:

Triangle Traffic - Cameras, Speed Data, Accident Reports for Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill :: WRAL.com

Frank

Old 08-18-2009, 08:43 AM

757 posts, read 2,082,962 times
Okay, driving into work at 5:00 pm may make a huge difference. Rush hour traffic is terrible around Raleigh. Mainly coming from Raleigh to Cary down that stretch of road. Rush hour starts around 4:00 pm. Maybe others can comment, because I never have to drive in rush hour. All I know is that I drove to downtown Raleigh from Apex once around 5:00 pm and I will never do it again. The traffic is horrible. I'm not sure if it's worse driving to Raleigh or away from Raleigh at that time.

I called my husband and he works in downtown Raleigh near NC state. He says you should live in Raleigh South or North, brier creek area, but not the south point area of Chapel Hill. Since you will be going to work at 5:00 pm, traffic is worse driving from RTP towards Raleigh. He is driving away from Raleigh towards Apex at 4:00 pm and sees more traffic coming to Raleigh at that time than away. If you lived in the South point area of Durham, you may be stuck in traffic on the way to Raleigh. If you live in North Raleigh, you would be taking 540 and neither I or my husband knows about the traffic on that road this time of day. I'm mainly commenting on I-40. If you live closer to Raleigh you will be driving opposite of the traffic flow at 5:00 p.m. according to my husband and will be less of a chance you will be sitting in traffic. By the way, he said he would never put himself in a situation where he would be driving towards Raleigh from UNC at this time of day.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:16 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
but not the south point area of Chapel Hill.
What??? Southpoint is NOT in Chapel Hill. It's in Durham... South Durham. It's in the City and County of Durham.

If the OP is traveling to NCSU at 5 pm I-40 will present issues. Between RTP to Cary I-40 gets congested during that time.

BUT traffic is relative. I've been in it at 5pm on Fridays regularly and do not find it horrible, because it moves.... slowly but it moves. It's not a dead stop. However, given the OP is from Tallahasse which is smaller in size, this could be a problem. What time of day will you be commuting to UNC?

In regards to air plane noise, keep in mind, once the economy picks up the air traffic will pick up again. Morrisville is in the direct path of RDU. Parts of N. Raleigh too.... some of the Leesville area and I believe the subdivision Harrington Grove is known for noise that neighbors have to stop talking while a plane passes. Again, noise is relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary