Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:40 PM

7 posts, read 39,068 times

Advertisements

Any info on this development would be greatly appreciated! Specifically, how large is it (how may condo buildings) and what is the surrounding area like (particularly between Providence Glen and UNC)? I am moving to the Chapel Hill are alone and am concerned about safety. The condo development itself looks nice on the web but what is the area immediately surrounding it like? Any good/bad feedback would be fantastic - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 01:51 PM

229 posts, read 1,051,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_on_my_mind View Post
Any info on this development would be greatly appreciated! Specifically, how large is it (how may condo buildings) and what is the surrounding area like (particularly between Providence Glen and UNC)? I am moving to the Chapel Hill are alone and am concerned about safety. The condo development itself looks nice on the web but what is the area immediately surrounding it like? Any good/bad feedback would be fantastic - thanks!
Providence Glen

How large? 192 Condominiums, 1124-1524 Square Feet

Surrounding area? On the border of Chapel Hill and Durham. It's convenient to the shopping in Durham and Chapel Hill.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:03 PM

7 posts, read 39,068 times
Thanks! It's huge!

Regarding the surrounding area - can you be more specific, please? Is it surrounded by residential homes (if so, what type/how old), a commercial area, etc. Is the area around it run down or undesirable in any way? I've heard that pockets of SW Durham are not so nice, while others are indistinguishable from Chapel Hill.

Thanks so much!

Old 04-28-2007, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 10,558 times
I lived right across the street from Providence for a year. I think that it is a wonderful area. Across Old Sterling Rd. you will have Notting Hill Apartments (Very Nice) and the Chapel Hill Bible Church. At the corner of Sage Rd. and Old Sterling you have have several very new office buildings with dentists, physicians, etc. Across Sage Rd there there is a luxury condo development (350k+, Prescott ___). Directly behind Providence there is a Lowe's Home Improvement and a Borders book store. Within a 5 minute walk: Hardee's, Wendy's, a Mexican restaurant, and a few other stores. Providence Glen is right on the Chapel Hill Transit bus route (I believe the D route). This is always free and without a question the best way to get to UNC or Franklin St. (probably 10-15minute ride). To the northwest, on Eastowne Dr., is mostly office space. There is one apartment complex at the corner of Eastowne and 15-501 that does not have a wonderful reputation. HOWEVER, in the 12 months we lived there we had no problems at all. The only reason I even knew the place had a "reputation" was after speaking to a person that tried to rent in that complex. Otherwise, I wouldn't have even known it was there. The area feels very safe. To the north is mostly residential neighborhoods (nice ones at that). You are mere minutes from I-40, massive shopping at the 15-501/Mt. Moriah intersection (Walmart, LNT, Bed/Bath/Beyond, PetSmart, Home Depot, Outback, Carrabbas, Panera, etc etc), SuperTarget/Sams at South Square in Durham, and Southpoint mall just 2 exits up the interstate.

All in all, I think Providence Glen has one of the best locations you could ask for in Chapel Hill. You can live a "big box" lifestyle or a "locally owned" lifestyle...whichever you choose. You are convenient to Durham, I-40, and RTP, and obviously Chapel Hill.

This area is very new all around. Nothing is run down. I think you would be very satisfied with the location. At the very least, you are in middle of everything. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

FYI we moved from that location to South Durham (Hope Valley Farms), as we could not afford to purchase in the Chapel Hill area at the time.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 7,124 times
My 75-year-old mother, who has vision limitations, has been living alone in Providence Glen for 2 years. I think it is a great location and have never worried for her safety. She takes long walks in the area, as do a number of the older residents in the complex. The buildings have codes for entry. I usually see others out and about or walking around when I come or go.

The residents are diverse--families, retired individuals or couples, students, nurses, etc. The grounds, pool, and common building areas are kept up well and are beautiful. Two buses run from Old Sterling, the D bus and the Bible Church Express, making the commute to UNC, the hospital, Eastgate, or Franklin St. extremely convenient.

I did quite a bit of research on condos when my parents moved down here three years ago and found PG to be the best value, and a sound investment, if you buy.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:11 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,409,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBowen View Post
My 75-year-old mother, who has vision limitations, has been living alone in Providence Glen for 2 years. I think it is a great location and have never worried for her safety. She takes long walks in the area, as do a number of the older residents in the complex. The buildings have codes for entry. I usually see others out and about or walking around when I come or go.

The residents are diverse--families, retired individuals or couples, students, nurses, etc. The grounds, pool, and common building areas are kept up well and are beautiful. Two buses run from Old Sterling, the D bus and the Bible Church Express, making the commute to UNC, the hospital, Eastgate, or Franklin St. extremely convenient.

I did quite a bit of research on condos when my parents moved down here three years ago and found PG to be the best value, and a sound investment, if you buy.
Diverse yet they have a Bible Church express?

Old 08-14-2015, 10:49 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,219,449 times
Really?! You revived a thread that was 6 years old to make that snarky comment?

Old 08-14-2015, 11:13 AM

43,043 posts, read 76,558,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Really?! You revived a thread that was 6 years old to make that snarky comment?
Ummm.
No.

it is a revived 7.45 year old thread.

Just tryin' to keep it real here.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:15 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,219,449 times
You're right. My math skillz, need a tune-up.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:17 AM

43,043 posts, read 76,558,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You're right. My math skillz, need a tune-up.
Meh. Cypherin' is overrated.

BTW, I see you are a $650 winner!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary