Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:23 PM

24 posts, read 72,989 times

Advertisements

I was in an accident in Chapel Hill. Apparently I ran a red light. It happened so fast I don't know exactly what happened. I was going South on 15/501 going about 40 (in a 45) and a van hit my passenger side and spun me around 2 or 3 times. Totalled my car. I was in complete shock and I just told the officer that "I think I went through a red light." The officer wrote me a ticket for running the red light. I have three months before my court date. I also have the option to pay $170 and avoid the court date.

Can somebody give me some advice?

First, I have a Virginia Drivers License because I recently moved here. I need to get it switched to North Carolina. Hypothetically... what if I wait to switch my license? In essence I'm asking if the points will not appear on my license because it's out-of-state and then when I get an NC license, will my record be clean?

Will they allow me to take driving school in order to get the ticket dismissed/reduced?

Do I wait until the court date to request driving school? Or do you take the driving school first?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 02:26 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
Your mailbox will soon get flooded with attorney's in the area who can help you, they do mailings based on the tickets that are given out. I would suggest talking to one of them, or someone you choose, because an attorney who is well versed in traffic violations will give you the best advice. I am sure there are lots of options out there!

Leigh

Old 08-16-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
Your mailbox will soon get flooded with attorney's in the area who can help you, they do mailings based on the tickets that are given out. I would suggest talking to one of them, or someone you choose, because an attorney who is well versed in traffic violations will give you the best advice. I am sure there are lots of options out there!

Leigh
I am fully expecting the letters. I just have doubts about whether that is the best option. Just speculating, but they'll likely charge $200 and go to the court and work out some sort of standard deal with the DA. So, again, just speculating, but once I find out what the "standard deal" is, couldn't I go in and cut the same deal without paying a lawyer?

Old 08-16-2009, 02:52 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
If you didn't know what happened as you stated why did you tell the officer you went through a red light???

Old 08-16-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
If you didn't know what happened as you stated why did you tell the officer you went through a red light???
I think I did go through a red light or maybe it turned red as I was going through the intersection.

All I can remember was that I was going through the intersection and this van hits me and I just spun and spun, the airbags came out, my car kept hitting things and bounced up and over a median.

My initial thought was that I must have gone through a red light. I could not think clearly. I got a bloody and bruised in the accident, my eyeglasses fell off, my cars horn was going off, smoke was coming out of the dashboard and I was in shock.

A day later and I still feel a little out of it. My car was totalled and I was trying to think about everything else that was going on... Are the other people ok? What happened? What's going to happen? What am I going to do without a car? etc.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:16 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Were you on the phone?

Old 08-16-2009, 04:32 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cectarheel View Post
I was in an accident in Chapel Hill. <>
Can somebody give me some advice?
<>Thanks for your help.
Have you done the insurance interview yet? Confess nothing. You do not actually know if you ran the light or if the guy who hit you ran it. Say that when you go to court, too.
I think you have about 30 days to change your license if you intent the move to be permanent. The real problem is with your insurance company. I waited a year because my wife was still up north.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Were you on the phone?
No, I wasn't on the phone. What's the point of asking? Are you looking to lecture somebody on the evils of cell phone use while driving? I'm not looking for a lecture, I'm hoping to get some advice.

I wasn't drinking, I wasn't playing with the stereo, I was just driving. I was driving home from work at 5:30 PM. The events of the accident are all fuzzy. I can't remember if I looked up and the light was green. I'm just guessing but maybe I was just looking ahead and didn't expect a traffic light since I was on a highway. I can't be sure now. I'm just wondering how to handle the ticket? Everything else will be sorted out by my insurance.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:41 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Have you done the insurance interview yet? Confess nothing. You do not actually know if you ran the light or if the guy who hit you ran it. Say that when you go to court, too.
It's going to be tough to overcome the statement she made to the police at the time of the accident.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:26 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cectarheel View Post
I am fully expecting the letters. I just have doubts about whether that is the best option. Just speculating, but they'll likely charge $200 and go to the court and work out some sort of standard deal with the DA. So, again, just speculating, but once I find out what the "standard deal" is, couldn't I go in and cut the same deal without paying a lawyer?
Pay the lawyer. You may get the same deal as the lawyer but the DA may also decide not to give it to you. A lawyer who is known in the area will most certainly get you the best deal. My advice would be to spend the couple of hundred dollars instead of taking the risk. If you can get a lawyer who was a prior DA that is the way to go. In the big picture of insurance points, etc the 200$ is a drop in the bucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary