Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:47 PM

8 posts, read 25,598 times

Advertisements

Hey all- just wanted to ask about real estate available in close proximity to Duke University. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm interested in buying a multiple bedroom house as close to Duke as is possible.

In a few years when I'm gone from the area, I would like to keep it and rent it out to students, so it is imperative that is be as adjacent to Blue Devil territory as can be (walking/biking distance preferred).

Also, could you all break down Durham real estate a little bit for me? Best areas, worst areas, up-and-coming areas? Which side of Duke U. would I ideally want to be living on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 03:13 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,116,067 times
There appears to be higher crime in the east.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 08-16-2009 at 03:21 PM..

Old 08-16-2009, 05:18 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,768,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
East of Durham is Raleigh.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:25 PM

66 posts, read 143,747 times
This is a tough question. You would probably want to find yourself a buyers' agent and have a look for yourself. Durham is huge and quite varied. You will probably also want to be close to people your age and in an area you will like since you will have to live there.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:25 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,969,803 times
You'll want to be targetting grad/med students as renters, not undergrads. It used to be the best area was in Trinity Park, especially along Watts/Buchanon st, south of Markham (numerous grand old homes that had been split into duplexes), but thoses areas have pretty much gentrified. Probably the best value now lies in Watts/Hillandale, up along the golf course and then east towards Broad.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:15 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,089,405 times
We have friends who live in a subdivision off Hillandale Rd near, well, Hillandale Golf Course. Less than a mile to Duke Med/West Campus. Older neighborhood but nice homes on spacious lots. A small number of the homes in the neighborhood are rentals but usually have grad students/temporary profs as tenants.

Frank

Old 08-17-2009, 11:45 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,114,626 times
I'd recommend the Old West Durham neighborhood for good values that look to appreciate nicely and will appeal to renters in the future.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:40 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,116,067 times
East of Duke University.

Quote:

Old 08-17-2009, 01:06 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,969,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
East of Duke University.
Raleigh is east of Duke University!

Old 08-17-2009, 01:27 PM

8 posts, read 27,334 times
Burch Ave. area has some nice student housing and an active neighborhood association. Almost exclusively students and young families. Very convenient to Duke.

Duke Forest is more expensive, more family-oriented. More likely to attract visiting professors? but not necessarily multi-family kinds of people. Closer to the medical center than other stuff, except the east side of OWD.

Old North Durham / Old West Durham is more hip. More likely to attract regular and graduate students. Active neighborhood associations. Many renters but not -that- many. Convenient to Duke.

All of these are bike-able to Duke campus, and generally up-and-coming (i.e. not that expensive now, but seem to be improving). I don't think you'd have a problem getting residents in any of these locations. I would point out that the Durham rental market is pretty saturated, so you might not get as much rental income as you need to maintain the property and also pay the mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary