Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:21 AM

74 posts, read 219,390 times

Advertisements

'Morning All -

We just moved here from the North and this morning I noticed condensation on the outside of some of my windows. (New construction). I've only seen this before when a sealed window has lost it's seal and the inside air has been able to reach the outside window pane.

'net research says condensation also happens when a well sealed window cools overnight to a temp low enough to allow the dew to condense on the window.

Questions - Is morning condensation on 'good' windows normal here?
Is there a way to tell if this is due to an ok sealed window performing properly or an broken window?

All help appreciated!

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 AM

450 posts, read 1,350,888 times
I'm pretty sure the answer is, "welcome to the world of high humidity/high dew points" - the dew point here can get into the 70s - and if your house is cooler than the dew point, you'll get condensation/dew on your windows.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:39 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
I'm pretty sure the answer is, "welcome to the world of high humidity/high dew points" - the dew point here can get into the 70s - and if your house is cooler than the dew point, you'll get condensation/dew on your windows.
Right-O!

How low do you have the AC set?

When I have the car temperature right, my glasses fog up when I get out.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Right-O!

How low do you have the AC set?

When I have the car temperature right, my glasses fog up when I get out.
Hmmm... but if I have double pane thermal window, shouldn't the inside temp not matter? (BTW - around 74 degrees.)

Unlike the 'glass of iced tea' example people on the 'net always give, my inside pane of glass should have an insulating layer of air between it and the outside pane of glass, thus, preventing (I thought) the cold inside glass from affecting the warmer outside glass.

Up north, if you have double pane windows and get condensation *inside* in the winter - it means a problem - the cold outside air is reaching the inside window pane and allowing the inside damp air to condense. Properly sealed double pane windows give no inside condensation in the winter. Shouldn't it be the same here for the summer?

An article on the 'net mentioned sometimes here the outside window pane itself can cool overnight to a temp low enough to cause dew to condense in the morning. Is that what's happening?

If this is normal, that's fine. But if the windows are having a problem, I'd like to bring it to the builders attention while he's still onsite.

Thanks for the input.

David

Old 08-17-2009, 06:25 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
You should be concerned only if the moisture is inside, between the panes of glass. That would mean that the edge gasket/seals have failed and allowed air (with moisture) inside, which has now condensed.

Moisture on the outside is very normal, and the window systems should be designed to handle it, just like it should be designed to handle being rained on.
Moisture on the inside should be something for you to worry about, not because of the window, but because it means that the inside is humid enough so that objects that are cooler than the inside dewpoint (the temperature at which water starts to condense out of the air). This can be caused by several things, most bad.
It can be caused by the inside having a high humidity (taking a long hot shower with the door open?), or such. Also, if the inside has only moderate levels of humidity, but the windows insulative properties are too low, say if it's an old single-pane glass, then the inside edge of the glass could be could enough to be below the dewpoint of the inside air, and again condensation will start to form. This is of concern not so much about the window, but that there might be other places that get this cool, and condensation could form. Say inside walls or such. This could be the start of mold or mildue problems.

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2009, 06:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
It's normal. Double-paned windows offer some insulating properties, but it's still just glass. It's not an insulated wall.

You might have also noticed that it's usually not just glass surfaces that have condensation on them in the morning; just about everything does.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:35 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
It's normal. Double-paned windows offer some insulating properties, but it's still just glass. It's not an insulated wall.

You might have also noticed that it's usually not just glass surfaces that have condensation on them in the morning; just about everything does.
Right. Insulation slows temperature change, but doesn't stop it "cold."

If the outer pane cools enough to be lower than the dew point, then there will be condensation.

It isn't a matter of inside or outside air reaching the other side. It is a question of conduction of temperature through the glass.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:20 AM

Great! All is as it should be then.

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,584,421 times
Yeah I have been getting condensation on some of my exterior window surfaces as well. It's not normal but it's been very very humid lately. I keep my house 74 as well.

When I was in florida for a few months it was like that every afternoon after the showers. Windows would mist right up.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:21 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
If it is a broken window seal...you'll see the "condensation" 24/7. It will look like a dirty smudge that you can't get clean.

You have a 1 year warranty with new construction so keep your eye on it and see if it disappears. Most of the new windows of today have a warranty from the company, as well.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary