Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 03:19 PM

328 posts, read 767,191 times

Advertisements

I am looking to get a fairly accurate measurement of my body fat percentage using hydrostatic weighing. I've thought about contacting different universities to see if they would allow me to come in and use their equipment (if they have any) for a fee. Any suggestions as to where else I could look to get this done?

I'm not looking for skin calipers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 03:22 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandorangeskittles View Post
I am looking to get a fairly accurate measurement of my body fat percentage using hydrostatic weighing.
Is Durham close enough?
Residential Weight Loss & Weight Management Program -- Duke Diet & Fitness Center -- Durham, North Carolina

Old 10-03-2012, 04:15 PM

Durham is not too far. I'll look into that, thank you. Their website focuses pretty much on "obese" people, and according to the BMI, I am at a healthy weight, but I know I have a lot of body fat for someone who is at a healthy size. I will call them tomorrow to see what the fees are for just the weighing.

I just found some information on the BodPod, which I had forgotten was a good tool for measuring body fat. Here is the link for anyone interested.

http://www.carolinashealthcare.org/b...ports-medicine

Thanks again.

Last edited by redandorangeskittles; 10-03-2012 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Found another site

Old 10-03-2012, 07:23 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,421,958 times
Quote:
Durham is not too far. I'll look into that, thank you. Their website focuses pretty much on "obese" people, and according to the BMI, I am at a healthy weight, but I know I have a lot of body fat for someone who is at a healthy size. I will call them tomorrow to see what the fees are for just the weighing.

I just found some information on the BodPod, which I had forgotten was a good tool for measuring body fat. Here is the link for anyone interested.

Body Composition Testing > Sports Medicine | Carolinas HealthCare System > NC & SC

Thanks again.
If you do the bodpod can you let me know how it goes? I did p90x and p90x2 (lost 35lbs total) and I would like to see where im at % wise. Every time I use a caliper I get different readings.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 AM

234 posts, read 822,660 times
Checkout the link below, Chris is excellent and only charges $10. I have done the BodPod and Chris is right on par with it.

Body Fat Analysis at All Pro Nutrition

John

Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 AM

The Diet Duke and Fitness Center charges $75 for the BodPod, so I'm waiting to hear back about when I can schedule an appointment. Thanks again, Mr. Rational!

The other location I linked was down in the southern part of NC, so it's too far for me.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 PM

I decided to listen to John and contact Chris from the above link. He was able to make time for me to come in today (1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month) and I was very pleased with his work. The price was reasonable and he went over my results and sent me a copy to keep, so I would recommend Chris.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 PM

234 posts, read 822,660 times
Red,

That is awesome to hear!! Just make sure you go back to him for any followup measurements so you can get consistent and accurate results.

John

Quote:
I decided to listen to John and contact Chris from the above link. He was able to make time for me to come in today (1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month) and I was very pleased with his work. The price was reasonable and he went over my results and sent me a copy to keep, so I would recommend Chris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary