Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:05 PM

299 posts, read 635,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
Try 595-4892
Thanks, Dave! That actually worked for me since the other one was busy every time I called, morning, noon and night. Their menu options do not allow you to get through to anyone unless you already have an existing account. Their rep was quite familiar with complaints about their busy lines but with the good deal I received for cable, phone with free long distance and internet service, I decided to take a chance on them for at least a year. I'm only paying $10 more a month from what I pay in PA for additional services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 06:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
They are good here ever since TWC went fiberoptic.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,595 times
6/12/14
Hi all,
Actually, Time Warner (TW) land-line phone service is NOT a VOIP service. Their land-line phone service is NOT connected through the computer as VOIP service is so you can use your phone regardless of whether your computer is on. I talked to a TW technician. The TW service uses your regular phone (corded or cordless) and the signal comes through your regular phone (not the computer). HOWEVER, the term "land-line" service is a misnomer here because the TW land-line service does involve having a modem (not one connected to the computer though) that sends the phone signal to your regular phone. The modem requires electrical power so if your electricity goes off, you will lose your telephone connection. You can purchase a type of battery back-up system that will prolong your ability to make calls for "X" period of time but once the battery is exhausted and your electricity is still off, you will lose phone service. A traditional "land-line" phone service does not require electricity of any kind and is therefore not affected by electrical outages and will work regardless of the length of electrical outage. I was almost going to go with the TW land-line phone service because of the incredibly low price until I learned of the modem requirement and the fact that I would lose my phone service if I lost electrical power. I don't have a cell phone so I need to have continuous phone service on my land-line phone. Hope this information helps others decide what they want to do about land-line phone service.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadLady View Post
We are moving to Heritage at the end of May and have be reviewing all of our utility options. We are looking at getting our cable internet through Time Warner and are considering getting the digital phone service. Does anyone else use this service and/or can anyone provide any additional advice when it comes to digital phone service?

We are trying to consolidate where we can and we want to definitely keep our satellite so that means we are trying to combine our cable and phone into a package deal.

Thanks so much,
Carolyn
6/12/14
Hi all,
Actually, Time Warner (TW) land-line phone service is NOT a VOIP service. Their land-line phone service is NOT connected through the computer as VOIP service is so you can use your phone regardless of whether your computer is on. I talked to a TW technician. The TW service uses your regular phone (corded or cordless) and the signal comes through your regular phone (not the computer). HOWEVER, the term "land-line" service is a misnomer here because the TW land-line service does involve having a modem (not one connected to the computer though) that sends the phone signal to your regular phone. The modem requires electrical power so if your electricity goes off, you will lose your telephone connection. You can purchase a type of battery back-up system that will prolong your ability to make calls for "X" period of time but once the battery is exhausted and your electricity is still off, you will lose phone service. A traditional "land-line" phone service does not require electricity of any kind and is therefore not affected by electrical outages and will work regardless of the length of electrical outage. I was almost going to go with the TW land-line phone service because of the incredibly low price until I learned of the modem requirement and the fact that I would lose my phone service if I lost electrical power. I don't have a cell phone so I need to have continuous phone service on my land-line phone. Hope this information helps others decide what they want to do about land-line phone service.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:15 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
It is indeed VoIP, albeit on a private network. VoIP does not automatically mean it gets routed through your computer. Many VoIP services such as Vonage don't require a connection to a computer.

Is Home Phone a VoIP service?

You can also use backup batteries for your phones/modem, but service can still go down in a power outage if TWC's network goes down.

Using your Home Phone service in the event of a Power Outage

Old 06-12-2014, 02:51 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Staples View Post
A traditional "land-line" phone service does not require electricity of any kind and is therefore not affected by electrical outages and will work regardless of the length of electrical outage.
Traditional POTS service is powered by commercial AC driving rectifiers and a series of 2V wet-cell batteries located in the telephone Central Office (or typically VRLA batteries in the remotes). If commercial AC was out long enough, the batteries would drain and the sites would go down. Those that were here after Fran came through experienced this (at least in the remotes that died).

Cell sites operate the same way, though they often use +24VDC nominal vs -48VDC. If they lose power long enough, you will lose cell phone service.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:20 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Staples View Post
Actually, Time Warner (TW) land-line phone service is NOT a VOIP service. Their land-line phone service is NOT connected through the computer as VOIP service is so you can use your phone regardless of whether your computer is on.
I think you have no idea what "voice over IP" means, or even how POTS phones work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary