Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:29 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,134,244 times

Advertisements

Buying a new car is annoying and unfortunately, I prefer new cars!

Since hubby and I know of the "doc fee" and the other junk fees, while negotiating, we always tell them that this is our "out the door" price. No doc fees and no junk fees.

I think it is a trick once you have agreed upon a price for them to throw in a few more fees. I remember a few years' ago, they had a fee (can't remember the name they used) for washing the car!!!

Go online to another dealership and see if you can negotiate with them. The other dealership will get the car info. from dealership #1, if that is the car that you want. Sometimes they have an "internet guy" and you can do most of the work on the phone.

When I got my car, about 6 months ago, I had the guy from the dealership in Raleigh and the internet guy from Charlotte giving me info. on the SAME CAR. Duh.

Perhaps we need CAR BROKERS like we have REAL ESTATE BROKERS!!! Then the buyers would have a chance!!!

Vicki

Vicki

Old 08-18-2009, 07:45 PM

143 posts, read 415,553 times
I've never had any luck getting the doc fees removed. It almost seems like a way to screw the dealership's salesperson (they don't get commission on those fees, but it's pure profit for the dealer).

Old 08-18-2009, 08:21 PM

532 posts, read 2,838,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Good luck, cstleddy and don't back down!
We didn't back down and WE'VE NOW GOT A BRAND NEW CAR!!!

The dealer called twice this morning. The first was to "split the difference" on the $489 Doc Fee. DH said no. Dealer said, I'm not going to make any money. DH said, well don't do the deal then. You know how much I'm willing to pay. You let me know if you change your mind.

Dealer called back again and said he (the salesperson) was paying our half of the doc fee from his commission. DH said Thanks (he's a gentleman). And that was that.

We had a sweet trade-in that I think they had sold so they wanted to get their hands on it. I looked at the agreement and the Doc fee is a permanent line item, but they discounted the new car and gave us more for our tradein. It was simply a reallocation of funds.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:47 PM

871 posts, read 3,009,068 times
Cue Ronan Tynan, with his rendition of:

God Bless America..............

Old 08-18-2009, 08:50 PM

17,552 posts, read 15,280,236 times
CONGRATS cstleddy! Awesome negotiation skills!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:08 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,134,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
We didn't back down and WE'VE NOW GOT A BRAND NEW CAR!!!

The dealer called twice this morning. The first was to "split the difference" on the $489 Doc Fee. DH said no. Dealer said, I'm not going to make any money. DH said, well don't do the deal then. You know how much I'm willing to pay. You let me know if you change your mind.

Dealer called back again and said he (the salesperson) was paying our half of the doc fee from his commission. DH said Thanks (he's a gentleman). And that was that.

We had a sweet trade-in that I think they had sold so they wanted to get their hands on it. I looked at the agreement and the Doc fee is a permanent line item, but they discounted the new car and gave us more for our tradein. It was simply a reallocation of funds.
Congratulations!!! I know SOMEONE who doesn't back down and I was sure HE'D get what he wanted! It was nice of you to allow that!!!

Vicki

Old 08-19-2009, 10:34 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,455,564 times
Default Times are tougher now

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Buying a new car is annoying and unfortunately, I prefer new cars! <>Perhaps we need CAR BROKERS like we have REAL ESTATE BROKERS!!! Then the buyers would have a chance!!!
I bought cars from a broker in PA for years. It got to the point where he would call a couple of times a year with a car because he knew what I liked. It was always a pleasure working with him. His girlfriend did the docs and they never charged more that the State established fees plus $1 for the notary.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:23 AM

17,552 posts, read 15,280,236 times
I've purchased twice from a broker (both times in northern CA). Painless process and I got a better deal than I was able to get on my own.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:39 AM

502 posts, read 1,735,272 times
I don't know about all dealers, but we just bought a used Jeep Wrangler and there was a "Doc Fee" of $400 that was part of the price. In our case, that fee included the DMV fees, which is what we were told by the dealer. I just got the plates, and the receipt from DMV indicated that their part of the fee was about $350 for title, tax, and insurance... so I certainly wouldn't consider $400 from the dealer to be gouging on this. I was skeptical though, since this is our first car purchase in NC, so we just ignored the fee in negotiations. I told him what I wanted to pay, inclusive of all the "fees" that they had to add in, and we negotiated to the price I was willing to pay.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:40 AM

43,015 posts, read 76,519,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
I don't know about all dealers, but we just bought a used Jeep Wrangler and there was a "Doc Fee" of $400 that was part of the price. In our case, that fee included the DMV fees, which is what we were told by the dealer. I just got the plates, and the receipt from DMV indicated that their part of the fee was about $350 for title, tax, and insurance... so I certainly wouldn't consider $400 from the dealer to be gouging on this. I was skeptical though, since this is our first car purchase in NC, so we just ignored the fee in negotiations. I told him what I wanted to pay, inclusive of all the "fees" that they had to add in, and we negotiated to the price I was willing to pay.
Right.
We can get hung up on labels and forget the net bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary