Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:43 AM

44 posts, read 92,877 times

Advertisements

Having considered Chapel Hill to be our most likely option for renting upon relocation, the number of available properties are limited.

What I notice is that most rentals are to the south and west of CH and into Carrborro.

All the information we see seems to show the CH/C schools as being very good, but is that across the Middle and High Schools in the district, is there a 'bad apple'?

Also, is there an out of district fee, we've seen nice homes to the east of CH that have CH addresses but Durham schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 04:43 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
Back in the day, when I was in High School, you can pay an out of district fee, and attend at ch/c school (I was in the orange county high school district), but I don't think they let you do that any more. That is one thing that people need to be aware of, especially in the orange county area, some homes have a chapel hill address, but are in durham county, or a chapel hill address and are in orange county (thus going to orange county schools). If you want the ch/c schools, you have to stay in the city limits.

The high schools, there was only one when I was there! Now, there are three (chapel hill high, east chapel hill and carrboro high), and I believe they all have good reputations. I have heard from people that east chapel hill has a bit better rep than the other two.........

The middle schools, I have no idea.

Leigh

Old 08-18-2009, 06:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
If you want the ch/c schools, you have to stay in the city limits.
Almost right - parts of the city fall into Durham County or Chatham County, and those parts are not within the boundaries of the Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools.

I'm not aware of any option to pay an out-of-district fee to attend CHCCS.

The CHCCS are all excellent but there is some variation among them - much of that due to the differences in the populations they serve. For any given child, I doubt one school within the system is going to make much of a difference over another, unless you are looking for a particular program that is offered at only one school.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:17 AM

757 posts, read 2,082,962 times
Don't rule out Northern Chatham County schools. I've heard these schools are really good too and it's only an 5 to 8 minute drive into the heart of Chapel Hill from North Chatham. The property tax rate is much lower too. It's a very popular area for people to live that work in Chapel Hill. Briar Chapel will have a school within walking distance to it. Northern Chatham County homes have Chapel Hill as an address, but go to Northern Chatham County schools and don't pay an arm and a leg for property tax.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:27 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
Don't rule out Northern Chatham County schools. I've heard these schools are really good too and it's only an 5 to 8 minute drive into the heart of Chapel Hill from North Chatham. The property tax rate is much lower too. It's a very popular area for people to live that work in Chapel Hill. Briar Chapel will have a school within walking distance to it. Northern Chatham County homes have Chapel Hill as an address, but go to Northern Chatham County schools and don't pay an arm and a leg for property tax.
I believe the OP is working in North Durham, I don't think they would want a commute any further than Chapel Hill.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I believe the OP is working in North Durham, I don't think they would want a commute any further than Chapel Hill.
Good point. Briar Chapel is about 25-30 mins from Southpoint in Durham... and another 20 mins to get to North Durham and that is a horrible commute.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 AM

44 posts, read 92,877 times
I think Chapel Hill and Carrborro will be the furthest out we look, I have to say my preference is the northern fringes of the area as the quick jump onto I40 really cuts the commute down. (Well-Google says it knocks 5 or 10 mins off)

Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Monkey View Post
I think Chapel Hill and Carrborro will be the furthest out we look, I have to say my preference is the northern fringes of the area as the quick jump onto I40 really cuts the commute down. (Well-Google says it knocks 5 or 10 mins off)
True for the areas off NC-86 (MLK Jr. Blvd). Be aware of a couple of development trends there that may impact some commutes:

1. Several larger developments have been going in off Homestead Road west of MLK in northern Carrboro. Traffic on Homestead is becoming slower during commute times as a result. Not a problem now, but there is a trend . . .

2. Carolina North will soon be starting development, which will continue for decades to come. It's unknown what its traffic impact will be, and some of it is dependent on what the town approves in turns of road access. (e.g., the University property includes access to Homestead Road (at approximately the intersection with Weaver Dairy Road Extension), but no access road is planned for there - yet.)

Old 08-18-2009, 09:45 AM

149 posts, read 431,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post

I'm not aware of any option to pay an out-of-district fee to attend CHCCS.
I believe that those who work for Chapel Hill/Carrboro schools still have the opportunity to buy-in to the district if they live outside it. I have a friend who's a teacher and will be using that option.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:39 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckdisc View Post
I believe that those who work for Chapel Hill/Carrboro schools still have the opportunity to buy-in to the district if they live outside it. I have a friend who's a teacher and will be using that option.
My understanding is that orange county residents also can buy into the district as long as a school is not at capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary