Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 12,752 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone here has any first hand knowledge of what the working environment is like at Credit Suisse in RTP. I recently interviewed there for a contract position. It is likely that I'll receive an offer, so I'd just like to get some insight if possible. The position is within IT, although it's not really a technical position (it's basically a support role with a team that used to be in operations that recently transitioned to IT). I've already reviewed some info on websites like Glassdoor, but I wanted to at least check here as well. Anyway, if anyone has any info they're comfortable sharing, I would appreciate it. Feel free to DM me if you'd prefer not to post publicly. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 03:57 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,856,346 times
I do not have firsthand knowledge, but I inspected a house just a few days ago for someone in a similar position with them and she spoke very highly about working there.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:26 PM

72 posts, read 196,901 times
I would say, do your homework, but you are a contractor and as such, likely going to take it no matter what, right? But know this, you limited to 18 months as a contractor there, and if you get the nod for a perm slot, the place is a disaster in most depts, which may take you another ~3 years to discover. Seriously and I mean this as a fair warning, worse professional atmosphere you will ever encounter. Pay range is ok-good, benes are good.

Good luck!

Last edited by Xdeth; 08-18-2009 at 08:53 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 07:18 AM

3 posts, read 12,752 times
Thanks sacredgrooves. I appreciate the feedback.

Xdeth...Thanks for your insight. I have done my homework. I did that before my interview. But no amount of research will tell you what it's like to actually work at a company other than speaking to people who have first hand knowledge of said company, hence my post. As mentioned in my original post, I had already researched info on other sites before even posting here. And no, I'm not going to take the job "no matter what." People become contractors for various different reasons. I am extremely fortunate in that my personal situation does not require that I accept this position simply because it's a paycheck.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:12 PM

363 posts, read 1,213,907 times
if you pm me i'd be happy to discuss. i've worked for cs for ten years

Old 08-19-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella1206 View Post
Thanks sacredgrooves. I appreciate the feedback.

Xdeth...Thanks for your insight. I have done my homework. I did that before my interview. But no amount of research will tell you what it's like to actually work at a company other than speaking to people who have first hand knowledge of said company, hence my post. As mentioned in my original post, I had already researched info on other sites before even posting here. And no, I'm not going to take the job "no matter what." People become contractors for various different reasons. I am extremely fortunate in that my personal situation does not require that I accept this position simply because it's a paycheck.
I just told you from firsthand experience but I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been, not that I truly believe it matters to your decision process. I don't think I would have listened to anonymous people on the internet while charting my career, but I like the serendipity factor I know you'll eventually have in a few years when you realize this is not bull****.

You say it's an operations job being reclassed as IT. just think about that for few minutes. I already know what jobs you are refering too, I worked there for 5 years, what ops jobs require IT backgtrounds??? Did you graduate from Devry with an associates in MIS, then you may be overqualifiied. Those jobs are being offshored from CS RTP at an alarming rate, I know several people there re-assigend to 3rd shift to cover the reamaining OPS jobs over then next few months and they know as much about IT as most 10th grade HS students. If your lucky enough to have a choice then pass, if not, please remember to come here and post on you last week there in the near future.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:12 AM

47 posts, read 129,953 times
In this economy Just be happy to have the offer. When your contract is up in 18 months hopefully there will be more opportunities for you to move to a better job. I've been a contractor at one of the largest companies in RTP for about 3 years now, and I find it hard to believe there is a worse working environment than what I have encountered here. With that being said, I'm still grateful for having a job in the first place. I'd say take the job, sack-up and stick it out until something better comes along. The experience will benefit you, weather it's a bad one or good one, we all learn something from every job we hold.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:30 AM

596 posts, read 731,590 times
Why so negative? It seems to me the OP was just trying to get a feel for the company culture/atmosphere. If you don't know anyone personally who works at the company you're interested in, then who else are you supposed to ask? No harm in seeing what other folks think, "anonymous" or not. I didn't get the impression OP was expecting anonymous people on the internet to help chart their career. They didn't say tell me if I should take this job or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
I just told you from firsthand experience but I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been, not that I truly believe it matters to your decision process. I don't think I would have listened to anonymous people on the internet while charting my career, but I like the serendipity factor I know you'll eventually have in a few years when you realize this is not bull****.

You say it's an operations job being reclassed as IT. just think about that for few minutes. I already know what jobs you are refering too, I worked there for 5 years, what ops jobs require IT backgtrounds??? Did you graduate from Devry with an associates in MIS, then you may be overqualifiied. Those jobs are being offshored from CS RTP at an alarming rate, I know several people there re-assigend to 3rd shift to cover the reamaining OPS jobs over then next few months and they know as much about IT as most 10th grade HS students. If your lucky enough to have a choice then pass, if not, please remember to come here and post on you last week there in the near future.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:15 PM

178 posts, read 550,914 times
I worked at CS (2008-2009) as a contractor within HRIS support. They have 10 month contract limits within that area. I enjoyed working with many people that my position associated with, OUTSIDE of my particular department. However, working within my department was another story...DM me if you would like the details.

The location in RTP is called Center of Excellence. Two CofEs were opened while I worked there, Pune and Wroclaw. I believe I read online that one more CofE opening was in the works. (This is probably what Xdeth is referring to in the above post.)

Good luck with your job search. CS is an amazing name to have on one's resume regardless of the insanity that may or may not go on behind closed doors.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:17 PM

Sorry if it seemed negative, was not a reflection on the query, just trying to convey the overall experience there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary