Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:16 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIlover View Post
The one thing I see the development has going for it is the plots of land are a little bigger. By cookie-cutter, I mean the houses have basically the same structure ("pointy thing"). In the neighborhood I used to live in (in Durham), the houses were all completely different. Meadowmont is a good comparison to Treyburn although I thought the houses there were pretty much on top of each other? I didn't mean to offend anyone by saying they're cookie-cutter, but every new development I see now is like that. Some people like it, some don't.
No offense taken - I just think the words "cookie cutter" have a different connotation for most people.

I'm curious - take a look at the second picture. The second house starting from the left of the image - do you like that one? It's roof line doesn't have any points - just two dormers in the front of the house... I guess the porch has a point though. Just trying to understand which style it is you like.

I also agree about the Meadowmont lots. The million+ houses there have pretty nice lots though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 10:08 AM

548 posts, read 2,647,149 times
I like the one you're referring to bta. If I saw that out on 5 acres, or in a really varied in-town neighborhood, I'd take a look for sure.

But not in a community where they were all clearly built at the same time, all the same distance from the road, etc. For a number of these developments I like individual homes...just not the whole picture.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:15 AM

60 posts, read 288,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
How is this cookie cutter? The houses look like they have nice big lots. The elevations look different. Many of the existing trees were left so the landscaping is varied.

I think of cookie cutter as the same elevations repeated over and over in close proximity to each other. Am I using the wrong definition?
Totally agree. I think "cookie cutter" is the most over used term on this board.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:22 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
I like the one you're referring to bta. If I saw that out on 5 acres, or in a really varied in-town neighborhood, I'd take a look for sure.....
That would be even better I agree, but can you imagine the price tag that would come along with a house like that combined with the additioanl price associated with that 5 Acres of land? Nice for sure no doubt, but who could afford it? Only a very select few I suspect which is probably why you don't see that too often. Anything is possible if you have deep enough pockets.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:35 AM

191 posts, read 235,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
That would be even better I agree, but can you imagine the price tag that would come along with a house like that combined with the additioanl price associated with that 5 Acres of land? Nice for sure no doubt, but who could afford it? Only a very select few I suspect which is probably why you don't see that too often. Anything is possible if you have deep enough pockets.
You can find homes of similar quality on 2 - 5 acres of land in Hillsborough and Pittsboro for a price that is similar to the homes in Treyburn. The trade off is the commute. Depending upon where you work the commute may not be too bad.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:45 AM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
Wow I wish I could have afforded to live there. So pretty, peacful and clean. Thanks for the pictures.

Liz

Old 04-27-2007, 05:37 PM

133 posts, read 710,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIlover View Post
The one thing I see the development has going for it is the plots of land are a little bigger. By cookie-cutter, I mean the houses have basically the same structure ("pointy thing"). In the neighborhood I used to live in (in Durham), the houses were all completely different. Meadowmont is a good comparison to Treyburn although I thought the houses there were pretty much on top of each other? I didn't mean to offend anyone by saying they're cookie-cutter, but every new development I see now is like that. Some people like it, some don't.
I suppose to some degree, just about every SD is gonna be a bit cookie-cutter. Considering that you have one or a few builders in the area, they do try to keep a certain look that meshes w/ the surroundings and overall feel of the subdivision. Also, it's not uncommon for developers to "recycle" designs and floorplans, so you'll see another similar looking house down the street or across town. Unless you go out and buy a lot, and hire an architect and a contractor to design and build your home from scratch, you're not gonna get a truly custom home. I personally like Treyburn, no offense taken, but it's a bit out of the way for us.
Now if you want to see cookie-cutter, stroll through some of the homes in Bedford, or the new one coming up in Brier Creek, next to the shops. The homes are practically clones of each other, and you could jump from one house to another. Sorry in advance for those who live there, or are thinking of moving there.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:58 PM

153 posts, read 209,690 times
Hello, I am considering moving to Treyburn. I have been looking in Treyburn Point (800,000+), if anyone has any pictures of that section, I would appreciate them being posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary