Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2007, 09:15 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times

Advertisements

So my move is next Friday and I'm going over in my mind what I'm going to crazily miss from FL. Number one is I'm going to miss the wildlife (the birds! Oh the birds) and both going to the beach for sunset, or going to the park by the bay and seeing the dolphins really close up.

Where in Durham or surrounding can I find a good subsitute??? Such as a park with a nice lake (it doesn't have to be huge!) or a nice forest or something? I do love the pine trees there, but it's not really comparable. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 09:23 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
So my move is next Friday and I'm going over in my mind what I'm going to crazily miss from FL. Number one is I'm going to miss the wildlife (the birds! Oh the birds) and both going to the beach for sunset, or going to the park by the bay and seeing the dolphins really close up.

Where in Durham or surrounding can I find a good subsitute??? Such as a park with a nice lake (it doesn't have to be huge!) or a nice forest or something? I do love the pine trees there, but it's not really comparable. Thanks!!

Umstead park is great for hiking, horseback riding and bird watching.
http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/wium/home.html (broken link)

Jordan Lake is near Durham (I think)
http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/jord/home.html (broken link)

Eno River, I heard is really nice in Durham:
http://www.enoriver.org/

The beaches are about two hours away (Wrightsville beach, etc)

Hope that helps!

Old 04-27-2007, 09:46 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
There is a park near in Morrisville near McCrimmon Pkwy. that has a lake and you can actually rent a shelter and have a picnic. Does anyone re

Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
oops...sorry, phone rang and I hit the wrong key!

Ok...so I think its called lake Crabtree Park???

Vicki

Old 04-27-2007, 12:15 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,298 times
Scorp,
I just moved here 3 weeks ago from CO. I went crazy before the move about how I'm going to miss this and that. You know, I haven't missed it one bit. Maybe I will one day, but not today, not yet. I have said to many people that I feel so lucky to have spent the last 8 years in Colorado. Those memories and that landscape is forever imprinted in my mind. But it's time to head into the future, to try new things, to discover something else. And really it's been wonderful here. We hiked in Umstead park last weekend and it was amazingly beautiful. I'm convinced that there's something for everyone here. I still have to get used to the humidity, but I bet coming from Florida, you will welcome the "cool" summer. Good luck to you, and welcome!

Old 04-27-2007, 02:54 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post

Fall Lake, just east and a tad north of Durham.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:21 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
Thanks guys! I will check them all out!

Old 04-27-2007, 04:17 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,586 times
My mom lives in Chapel Hill and has a zillion bird feeder. She just loves to watch them. There is one feeder covered in finches and another for the humming bird and another for the cardinals. The most entertaining feeder, though, is the "flipper." When a squirrel lands on the donut shaped perch surrounding the feeder, a motor in the feeder is switched on and the squirrel is catapulted off the feeder.

At night, you can hear whipporwils(sp?) and bobwhites. I think the Eno River park sounds like the best large local park to Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary