Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM

53 posts, read 219,637 times

Advertisements

Hello all! The school year is about to begin and I would like to get a flu shot (and hopefully the swine flu shot) before the kids arrive. I am 27 weeks pregnant, and concerned about getting either type of flu. Anyone know who is offering either kind of shot?
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 04:19 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I would start with your OB/Gyn right now for regular flu shots. I don't think they are readily available or stocked in the clinics quite yet. It's usually a little later in fall before they are ready, but perhaps your OB knows where you can get one now.
As for H1N1, there isn't one yet. I read last week it is expected to be available around November for vulnerable populations.

This was in today's news: http://news.mync.com/site/news/story...-shot-clinics/
Good luck!

Old 08-20-2009, 04:19 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
The swine flu shot is not available yet as I understand it.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:37 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Definitely talk to the ob/gyn. I know the flu mist is available now, but women who are pregnant are not suppose to have the mist. I think our pediatrician said they were getting the shot in in the next couple of weeks.

My guess is your OB will have a protocol for the H1N1 virus shot as well.

Leigh

Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 PM

32 posts, read 118,949 times
You will have to get two flu shots this year. One vaccine will be for the common strains identified last year and predicted to cause infection this year and the other vaccine will be for the H1N1 (aka swine flu). The flu vaccines for the strains that aren't H1N1 are shipping now and your OB should have those soon if they don't already.

It is still a guess as to when the swine flu vaccine will be available. They are now testing the lots developed for the H1N1 but if there is problem then there will be a significant delay (and likely shortage).

Old 08-21-2009, 05:29 AM

190 posts, read 1,075,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctchr View Post
Hello all! The school year is about to begin and I would like to get a flu shot (and hopefully the swine flu shot) before the kids arrive. I am 27 weeks pregnant, and concerned about getting either type of flu. Anyone know who is offering either kind of shot?
Thanks so much!
Please remember..... the single, easiest thing anyone can do to prevent the spread of these viruses is wash their hands (or using hand sanitizer, if washing isn't practical). If your kids are young, you have a great opportunity to help them make it become part of their lives, and if they are older, they could sure use your reminders to wash their hands..... It seems to be becoming a lost 'art', and we all (OK, I can't speak for everyone) could probably be better at washing our hands..... Another easy thing for teachers to do is clean the common areas frequently (desks, tables, doors....everyone should really see what grows from the stuff on doorhandles.....ewwwwww!). Hope this helps!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
I don't know about the regular flu shots being available yet either. My husband was at his cardiologist Tuesday and was told they are not in yet. He's had heart surgery so he is always suppose to get one. They said they will let their patients know when it is in.

I agree with the above posters about checking with your OB first regarding both vaccines.

I work at a school in the Daycare/After school care department. I just have hand sanitizer always close by and I try not to get too close in the face to face department. It concerns me somewhat about catching the flu myself. But hand washing, sanitizing the desks and items the kids use, and just keeping a little distance away from them, which isn't always easy is the best plan we have come up with.

And I do hope parents will keep their children home if they are sick or suspect the flu. Not only because of it spreading, but it is so tough to see kids who are sick stuck at school when they should be home resting.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:58 AM

47 posts, read 129,748 times
The CDC Website will carry the most current information regarding H1N1. The Vaccine will most likely be ready in October but will only be available in a limited supply at first. Pregnant women and children will take priority. As suggested, your OBGYN will be able to obtain all the information for you when the vaccine is available. The preventive measures such as washing your hands on a regular basis is the best way to avoid becoming ill.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:58 PM

593 posts, read 2,439,115 times
Agree w/ the others about who to see first.

Straight from the Take Care Clinics (Walgreen's clinic) vaccinations info page:
Quote:
Take Care Clinics offer flu vaccines to pregnant women in their 2nd and 3rd trimester who present with note for the flu vaccine from their Ob/Gyn. Our goal is to ensure the safe administration of vaccines to pregnant women in collaboration with the Ob/Gyn.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:07 AM

169 posts, read 778,203 times
You should also see about the pneumonia vaccine, since getting that will also greatly reduce chances of getting the swine flu and is co-recommended along with the swine flu vaccine. It's recommended for many age groups, check whether this includes pregnant women.

For vaccines I like the Minute Clinic at CVS-- you're in, you're out, it takes 15 mins with no appointment. They accept insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary