Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 PM

169 posts, read 778,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
That is the key aspect of this. Haven't been around enough such places to say, but never underestimate the power of people to be thoughtless buttheads...

So while I love dogs, I'm also fine w/them erring on the side of caution. God forbid people not be able to bring their dog with them when they go to eat.
God forbid I choose something you like to do and decide that it's just not necessary and should be made illegal.

If dogs or their owners are being obnoxious (and I have not seen anyone with an anecdote of that sort in any comments I've read on this today), why can't the business owner step in and ask them to leave? Why can't the business owner ban dogs if she/he chooses to, so that the ones who want dogs and their owners to patronize can still have open patios? Why does the city or the state have to step in to this issue? Just doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 06:38 AM

74 posts, read 203,666 times
I don't have a dog, but I wouldn't mind if someone wanted to eat with their animal outside. Regulating that is OVER regulation. It's outside - who cares. If I don't want to be around dogs, I can just go inside.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:28 PM

18,091 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Frankly, with this heat and humidity, I'm surprised that many people would want to bring their dogs with them to an outdoor cafe, unless it were very early in the morning or after the sun goes down. It's too darn hot outside for animals July - Sept. during the major daylight hrs. My dog drapes herself over an A/C vent throughout the summer or else lays on the bathroom tile floor.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:54 PM

306 posts, read 719,923 times
Before I had a dog, I wouldn't have thought twice about this situation.......I'm more of a cat person and cats usually don't want to go with you anywhere............but now I have a dog and she L-O-V-E-S going with us. Doesn't matter where. If we jingle the car keys, she's waiting for us at the door ready to head to the car. In the summer, we just take LOTS of water with us and NEVER leave her in the car alone. I agree with the posters here who says this is "over-regulation" and should be left to individual store/shop owners to decide.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:03 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Frankly, with this heat and humidity, I'm surprised that many people would want to bring their dogs with them to an outdoor cafe, unless it were very early in the morning or after the sun goes down. It's too darn hot outside for animals July - Sept. during the major daylight hrs. My dog drapes herself over an A/C vent throughout the summer or else lays on the bathroom tile floor.
But this new rule wouldn't just be for for the hot summer months.

Yes, we don't tak our dog when it's the hottest days of summer...but in the Triangle we are blessed with long stretches of wonderful weather in the spring and fall and quite a few great day in the summer as well (especially this year, it's only gotten really hot in the last few weeks).

The weather has not a darn thing to do with this not being left up to the indivdual location owners.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:34 AM

18,091 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I agree that the rule is ridiculous. I do not think dogs should be banned from outside eating venues by the county and it should be left to the discretion of the resto owner.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:02 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I have noticed a huge trend towards taking your dog with you and more dog parks, etc.

Again, I have ALWAYS had pets and currently have 1 dog, 2 cats, 4 kids and 1 hubby.

The flea market in Raleigh has always had people bringing their dogs, although I don't think they were allowed inside the building. And at Oak Island, it is a dog friendly beach. However, with the heat being what it is, I wonder how happy the dogs are? Sometimes walking around the flea market in the summer is too hot for ME! And yes, people bring water for their dogs but I see the dogs walking on that hot pavement and I wonder if it burns their paw pads. I see them panting and I wonder if they had a choice, would they choose to be there?

A few weekends ago, I was at the beach. It was so hot and I sit IN THE WATER but I saw people with dogs and the dogs were just lying in the sand, panting. Can they really enjoy that?

After having 4 kids, I am happy that I can go ANYWHERE without kids or dogs pulling on me!!!

Vicki

Old 08-23-2009, 10:18 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLegionxX View Post
I do think, however, the county siting the reasons for the ban being based on environmental and sanitary conditions is absurd.
Maybe you like the idea of dog hairs flitting around in the area where you're eating, or dogs peeing/pooping in that same area, and consider that "sanitary." I'll have to disagree. Yes, I'm sure that would be the exception by far, but I'm also sure such indicents would occur. (Never mind possible aggressive behavior, barking, or other behavior that would not exactly make for a pleasant eating experience) Why invite that? It's not like dogs NEED to accompany their masters out to eat. You're not forcing any great sacrifice on them.

Quote:
Because as the article points out, these are outside venues that vagrants hound customers at, and people are free to smoke around. Seems self-contradictory to me.
Like.....? I don't eat out a ton, but have done my share and have yet to see one. PS even if true, 2 wrongs don't make right.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I myself have taken my dog out to restaurants, goodberries, etc.. And I personally have no problem with it, because I am in control of my dog at all times, and the same goes for my child.
That's great, but so what? You aren't all people, and there are plenty of unthinking morons out there who are either unable or unwilling to teach their pets (or their children) how to behave in public.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:40 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
Here's the original list of pet-friendly patios. Greg's Hot List: Pet-Friendly Patios - Lifestyles - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/1643333.html - broken link) We aren't talking about a lot of businesses here.

To me being "pet-friendly" is part of being in a walkable neighborhood. With the exception of Baby Moon, practically every restaurant on this list is reasonably close to a residential area. If I were close enough to these establishments to walk, the idea that I could spontaneously sit down and have a drink even if my dog was with me would be appealing. The idea that I couldn't even sit down for 15 minutes because I'd decided to get some take-out would be ... disappointing, to say the least.

Personally I'd like to see more walkable neighborhoods in the Triangle, and this to me is just a move away from that.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:37 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Seems like this story might have been blown out of context a bit: Wake attorney: Dogs OK on restaurant patios :: WRAL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary