Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 12:14 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalt View Post
I live in a very small subdivision of about 50 homes outside of Raleigh near Fuquay-Varina. Just last night we all received a letter from our HOA saying that they were having speed bumps put in our neighborhood today.
Call the local fire department and see if the chief has a problem with them. Up in frozen-land our company would always object since these cause an undue hazard to emergency responders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 01:00 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,865,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLegionxX View Post
If the president of your HOA is incompetent then you and your small community needs to take the steps to have him/her removed. I would imagine many people feel the same way you do. You should call a community meeting of your own...pass out flyers, make phone calls, whatever you need to to get people to show up. Discuss the situation and any possible resolutions and then take action. You may need to band together and bring in a lawyer.

On a side note. Sometimes HOA's are great, and other times they can be a hassle. I would love nothing more than to have speed bumps put into my small neighborhood, but we do not have an HOA. And after having multiple traffic studies done the city still won't install them. It's never been a matter of volume in our neighborhood, it's just that the people who do cruise through our neighboorhood do so at about 35-40 MPH. In my Opinion, traffic studies are a waste of time and money, and rarely yield results.
My humble recommendation - listen to Mike, the realtor posted here. you need to first familiarize yourself with your bylaws, you should have recd them in the papers from the attny who closed on your home. the bylaws will have info on how many homeowners are needed for a quorum - the min # of ppl needed to vote in or change something. I saw a neighborhood removed a rogue president this way. Next, ask for the minutes of the board mtg that contains the info on this matter. make sure the correct ppl voted and it was 2nd, etc. Using these documents and bylaws, you may be able to reverse this without going to an attny. If not, he will need this info for the case. Good luck!

Old 08-21-2009, 01:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
I may be wrong, but it seems to be that focusing on this as an HOA issue is misplaced. Speed bumps and traffic control are not something an HOA typically has any ability to address - they are government matters.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:22 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,239 times
Who's paying for them ? Are HOA tried to have them installed but it was voted down because we the homeowners had to pay for them.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:49 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times
To the OP, does your neighborhood have private roads? Do you pay for the maintenance of these roads with your HOA dues? I only ask becuase I fidn it odd that that an HOA for a private entity would have the authority to have seed bumps put on a public road.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-23-2009 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted text and off-topic response.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:50 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,095,387 times
It's fairly surprising because speed bumps are expensive and the town won't usually pay for them without MONTHS of data collection, signed petitions with agreement of a certain percentage of neighbors, traffic studies, the use of other traffic calming measures and the fact that the town charges the residents or the HOA a significant portion of the cost. My neighborhood TRIED to do it and we just gave up (now we just take turns throwing empty Budweiser cans at speeders from our front porches...seems to have the same effect!) Anyway, it's just a lengthy, time consuming, expensive endeavor.

I'm guessing your roads must be private and your HOA dues are paying for them, because if they are public, there's no way they could do it that quickly and without permission.

Last edited by lamishra; 08-21-2009 at 04:32 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 06:38 PM

9 posts, read 23,028 times
I would call your local fire department. I know a few people in my neighborhood wanted them but the town said no b/c of the fire department. It slows down the trucks and I swear I heard the trucks could also get damaged. Maybe things get knocked around - I can't remember exactly.

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2009, 03:53 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,276 times
Instead of speed bumps, how about traffic circles? You have to slow down to get around them, there isn't wear and tear on the car, and if you plant the middles w/ flowers they are lovely.

Or you can ripe up part of the road and put in permeable pavers. These help with runoff so maybe there is some sort of grant or tax credit your HOA could get. And the pavers slow traffic since at "high" speeds your car vibrates more. The entrance of Marydell in Durham off of Garret Rd, has these pavers. It's a good way to get folks to slow down.

I know in Durham if a road has speed bumps the "slow plows" won't remove your snow. Snicker Snicker. Like this occurs often, but none the less might be a point to bring up.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:30 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,238 times
Henry Jones and Hope Carmichael are THE attorneys for HOA stuff in the Triangle. (Jordan Price law firm). Henry wrote the NC law for HOAs.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:01 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,231 times
You may want to call your local emergency services and let them in on what your HOA is planning. Most towns require approval from emergency services personnel before installing speed bumps, and most fire departments will require a traffic study to see if the speed bumps are truly necessary.

I know Apex required this and I had heard it was pretty common. Emergency services hate speed bumps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary