Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:32 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times

Advertisements

Now that the temp is starting to rise, what do you folks like to set the dial at?

We are having some temperature issues in our new place. We are on a slab with 9' ceiling on the first floor. So during the winter it seemed difficult to keep the downstairs living area warm since all the hot air seemd to funnel up our centraly located staircase to the second floor. We would end up with downstaris temps of like 65-68 and upstairs temps of 80. Now that the warmer weather is here, we are having the opposite problem. Downstaris is nice and cool but upstairs heats up fast.

Problem is, we are on a single zone AC system and the thermostat is downstairs. On a given day it will be 72 degrees on the first level when it is already up to 80 on the second floor. So I can't get the AC to kick on unless I it set it real low. I am in what most would consider a starter home so I guess the quality of insulation isn't top of the line and I am not really sure if there is anythign I can really do at this point. Anybody else having problems like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 02:57 PM

271 posts, read 1,213,509 times
Ceiling Fans may help to some extent, I have the similar type issues in my home. Thats really all I can think of, that and keep sunlight to a minumum in areas where it heats u faster.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Thumbs up Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatrendsetter View Post
Ceiling Fans may help to some extent, I have the similar type issues in my home. Thats really all I can think of, that and keep sunlight to a minumum in areas where it heats u faster.
Funny you should say that, I just installed two ceiling fans in the past two weeks and plan on putting the last one in (master bedroom) sometime this weekend. It was surprisingly easy. Good luck keeping cool!

Old 04-27-2007, 03:07 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,143 times
I also have a single zone cooling system in my townhome and I have mine set to 78 even though at some point I may program different temps for different times of the day. The place is only 3 years old but I'm having the same problem as you in that in the winter the downstairs area would be cooler than upstairs. So far I haven't seen that big of a difference between downstairs and upstairs for cooling. I also have my fans set to low and that helps the air to circulate better.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:09 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,621 times
Have you ever tried adjusting your baffles to direct the air to the rooms that makes the most sense? Usually your heating and air people can show you how, it's simple. We have them adjusted when they come to do preventative maintenance twice a year.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:26 PM

177 posts, read 847,607 times
I've been keeping the air conditioning off while I'm gone - but keeping a ceiling fan on for the little dog. When I get home, I set the air to 78 for a few hours just to cool things down - then shut it off again before sleep time. I do sleep with the fan on, though. So far so good - but I doubt it'll suffice when the temps reach their max this summer.

eileen

Old 04-27-2007, 04:59 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
I can't help too much - I hate the heat. We have a dual-zone system and set the heat to 70 degrees on both systems. It does cost a quite a bit in the summer, but at l'm cool .

You may want to look into adding electronic damners to your system. With a single HVAC, you can have two or more zones in the house, each with its own thermostat. I haven't done it so I don't know what it would cost, but it would make you more comfortable and save a bunch in heating and cooling costs over the long run.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:56 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
With ceiling fans, you can set them to 'reverse'-there should be a switch on the side-that makes the fan 'push' the air down. We ran one year-round in our old house, which was 2-story open catherdal style (this was not in NC). In summer we set it to run the regular way. It is gonna get hotter upstairs though, because heat rises-I've been in a ton of 2-story homes in my life, of all qualities...it's the heat rising.

So, running the fan on 'reverse' should push the heat down towards the floor.

Last edited by wanderintonc; 04-27-2007 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: to be clearer

Old 04-27-2007, 08:00 PM

374 posts, read 1,598,606 times
we have this issue in our old home in chicago (60 years old). We have the heat that comes out of reister in the wall near the ceiling and they can be opened or closed. So since heat rises, I open the downstairs registers in the winter and keep the top floor ones closed. Then in the summer i reverse it and close the downstairs. No need to cool that floor when all the heat is going upstairs naturally. So i am just cooling the upstairs at that point. Hope that helps!

Old 04-27-2007, 08:48 PM

191 posts, read 236,107 times
You people think that it actually get HOT in the Triangle? I think it's just a bit warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary