Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:17 PM

46 posts, read 193,943 times

Advertisements

We want to replace our laminate countertops to Granite. Can any one please recommend where can we buy reasonable priced granite for countertops (preferably they doing installation also). Any more info on the price which we should keep in mind shall be helpful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 02:42 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
Have you tried Lowes or Home Depot? They both sell granite countertops, installed. Price is all over the place. The basic builders-grade black granite with no special edging is around $40/sqft. Nicer colors are more, and custom edging is more. You could probably spend $80/sqft, maybe more. Price almost always includes installation, because it's not something you can fabricate and install yourself.

Also look at quartz, it's every bit as durable as granite, doesn't need to be sealed, and the seams aren't nearly as obvious as granite.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:45 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
I find that Home Depot and Lowes are more expensive (they use contractors) plus they have minimums. I have used Brazeal http://www.brazeal.net/ which do excellent work and also AB Stone http://www.abstoneboutique.com/. I found them to be professional, on time, and reasonable. Plus they have different stones other than the "popular" ones sold at home depot and Lowes.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:01 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Have you tried Lowes or Home Depot? They both sell granite countertops, installed. Price is all over the place. The basic builders-grade black granite with no special edging is around $40/sqft. Nicer colors are more, and custom edging is more. You could probably spend $80/sqft, maybe more. Price almost always includes installation, because it's not something you can fabricate and install yourself.

Also look at quartz, it's every bit as durable as granite, doesn't need to be sealed, and the seams aren't nearly as obvious as granite.
Lowe's and Home Depot are definitely more expensive. A year before we moved here, we put granite countertops in our kitchen - quoted close to $80/sf installed at both places. We ended up going to a granite place....cost us $52/sf installed. We were also able to choose our own slab.

Our home here has Cambria Quartz countertops which I love. No upkeep/sealing.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:48 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Also look at quartz, it's every bit as durable as granite, [and] doesn't need to be sealed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Our home here has Cambria Quartz countertops which I love. No upkeep/sealing.
Note that not all granite needs to be sealed regularly. Generally, it needs to be sealed if the stone is porous, which can be tested by setting a wet sponge on it for a few minutes, wiping, and seeing if a dark/damp area remains where the sponge was.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:49 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Lowes and Home Depot END up being more expensive because the price you see LISTED at the stores are not the price you pay. They charge extra for the edges (based on your choice) and the cut out for the sink and other small items. If you are going to price out granite countertops, get the "end price" to compare.

ALL granite is porus. That is what granite is...porus rock. You may see that the lighter color granite shows stains more than the darker granite but you should seal it. You can buy sealer at most hardware stores and do it yourself. It is like a wax that you just put on and take off.

A few years ago, I had someone convince me that I'd be happy with FAUX GRANITE. I hated it. I spent $1600 and threw it out about a year later. I now have granite. I love my kitchen. It is something that I see every day and worth every penny to ME!

I have seen houses with Silestone countertops and I would be equally happy with them but I don't know if they are that much less expensive than granite.

Vicki

Old 08-22-2009, 11:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
ALL granite is porus. That is what granite is...porus rock.
In absolute terms, yes, all granite has some porosity. But porosity varies, and granite is generally less porous than other igneous or metamorphic rocks, and there is great variation among different types of granite.

In addition, some producers of granite use a resin sealer or an impregnator after polishing to seal microscopic imperfections and strengthen the stone, which has the effect of reducing or eliminating most residual porosity.

Know what you're buying, and whether it has any chemical treatment already applied to it.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:49 PM

52 posts, read 117,405 times
Check Craigslist under the "skilled trade services" section. I have seen prices starting at $30 sqft installed and some fabricators will throw in a stainless undermount sink.

I do not have experience with any of the advertisers so please do your due diligence.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:02 AM

797 posts, read 3,579,090 times
Quartz cannot come close to the beauty that is Granite. Quartz looks very uniform and not exquisite at all, whereas each granite slab is different from one to the next. Quartz is too cookie cutter and boring.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:21 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,485 times
I had Jason @ The Polished Edge do mine a few months back and it turned out great. Couldn't have asked for better service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary