Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:27 AM

371 posts, read 1,361,815 times

Advertisements

People seem to have mixed feelings about Durham - love it or hate it. It's my understanding that it has many unsafe areas, but it also appears that it has much to offer and some good neighborhoods.

I'd like to hear more about those good neighborhoods. We are here in the area visiting and I'd like to check out Durham, but would love some guidance as I do so ... where to avoid, where to see.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 08:06 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
People seem to have mixed feelings about Durham - love it or hate it. It's my understanding that it has many unsafe areas, but it also appears that it has much to offer and some good neighborhoods.

I'd like to hear more about those good neighborhoods. We are here in the area visiting and I'd like to check out Durham, but would love some guidance as I do so ... where to avoid, where to see.

Thanks.
Are you looking for urban, suburban, or rural? You'll find all of them in Durham. What do you want to be near? Where will you work?

Old 08-22-2009, 10:23 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
Honestly too many to list without a little more info on likes, dislikes, etc.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:16 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
One thing Durham neighborhoods can say is that they're "interesting"!

With the exception of the newest, most sprawl-like ones in the SW (near Southpoint, by and large), any of the older Durham 'hoods would qualify as "interesting", and other than the "wedge" in central Southeast from downtown, safety is generally not an issue.

I'd recommend looking at Trinity Park, Old North Durham, and Old West Durham for starters. You'll find lots of older, mature-tree-lined streets with really cool people and strong community sense in most parts of those. The Duke Park neighborhood even has its own "Beaver Queen (http://www.durhammag.com/blog/2009/6/4/god-save-the-beaver-queen.html - broken link)" every year--you can't say that's not "interesting"! If I lived in Durham, these area areas I'd head for if I could afford them.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:32 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

With the exception of the newest, most sprawl-like ones in the SW (near Southpoint, by and large), any of the older Durham 'hoods would qualify as "interesting", and other than the "wedge" in central Southeast from downtown, safety is generally not an issue.
Ohhhh Francois, I'm wounded. SW Durham can be interesting too.... just in a different way. We have blueberry fields and cow pastures and the American Tobacco Trail mixed in with the subdivisions.

Plus, Desperate Housewives is all about the Burbs... and a lot of people find it interesting and entertaining. I've identified a lot of the DH characters here in the burbs... but I am still looking for Hunky Mike the plumber.

PS... You will find a strong sense of community in SW Durham too, but we unfortunately are not as nearly as politically organized as the neighborhoods that Francois mentioned. But you will find a lot of folks who volunteer at schools, scouts, sports teams, the library, church groups, etc here in SW Durham. So while we aren't storming city hall, we are working together to make our communities stronger.

Last edited by PDXmom; 08-22-2009 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: added the ps

Old 08-22-2009, 08:31 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
In northern Durham you will find newer suburban neighborhoods that have generally been developed on a smaller scale than you find in other parts of the Triangle. The areas around Rose of Sharon Rd. & Cole Mill Rd. can have you in a safe, family-friendly neighborhood zoned for good schools, backing up to a state park with outstanding hiking trails & a river, and only about a 10 minute drive to the many amenities of downtown Durham!

Old 08-23-2009, 07:07 AM

371 posts, read 1,361,815 times
Quote:
I'd recommend looking at Trinity Park, Old North Durham, and Old West Durham for starters
I'm trying to find these guys on yahoo maps so we could head over there, but am having some trouble ... could you give a hint of location? I also heard of Hillandale and did find that on the map - are these all near the Duke campus?

FYI - as for whether I want rural, suburban or urban, I have learned that one city's "urban" is another city's "suburban" or even "rural" so I've learned not to specify and just go by good (meaning safe and communal) neighborhoods and see for myself.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:42 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
I'm trying to find these guys on yahoo maps so we could head over there, but am having some trouble ... could you give a hint of location? I also heard of Hillandale and did find that on the map - are these all near the Duke campus?

FYI - as for whether I want rural, suburban or urban, I have learned that one city's "urban" is another city's "suburban" or even "rural" so I've learned not to specify and just go by good (meaning safe and communal) neighborhoods and see for myself.
These neighborhoods are basically to the north and West of downtown, right near East campus. Try this: durham, nc - Google Maps

Old 08-23-2009, 12:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Are we talking about the City of Durham, or all of Durham county? The OP seems to be referencing the city, although it's not clear.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:58 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Are we talking about the City of Durham, or all of Durham county? The OP seems to be referencing the city, although it's not clear.
Generally "neighborhoods" means "within a city", not "within a county".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary