Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:01 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times

Advertisements

I made a trip to the Durham Farmers' Market today and boy was I impressed. There were tons of people there and loads of great farmers and bakers selling their goods. I got there early to beat the crowd and was amazed at how busy it was by the time I left. Clearly this is a very popular market and it had a very good vibe to it. I was very happy to see live music is provided too and I noticed a free yoga class going on. The market is located along Foster Street in downtown Durham annd is open on Saturdays from 8am-12pm (April-Nov) and Wednesdays from 3:30-6:30pm (May-Sept). If you are in the Durham area I highly recommend you check this market out. Here are a bunch of pictures from my trip to the Durham Farmer's Market today.

Free Yoga

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 12:15 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times

Great job, NRG!
Loved the basket of peppers!

Old 08-22-2009, 02:01 PM

29 posts, read 99,415 times
Another nice post a picture paints a thousand words

Old 08-22-2009, 02:58 PM

150 posts, read 506,936 times
Fantastic-thank you NRG! Always great pics that provide so much info. I plan to take family there next Saturday.
Thanks,

Old 08-22-2009, 03:23 PM

673 posts, read 2,266,741 times
Very nicely done, NRG! A few times when at the Durham Farmer's Market I've wished I had my camera to catch the activity and great vibe here!

The Durham Farmer's Market is a great market and worthy of the drive for those of you outside of Durham.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:45 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
As always great photos, NRG. I too love the pepper photo. Worth framing in your kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

It's a great market. I only wish they had longer hours.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:29 PM

393 posts, read 673,817 times
Not quite the state farmers market, but it is good for people to have a little mini market for local needs.

Do you know what stuck out the most to me in the photos? For what is always referred to as a diverse area, it wasn't really represented much there. Most everyone seemed about the same as the next person.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:57 PM

673 posts, read 2,266,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
It's a great market. I only wish they had longer hours.
Agreed!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:25 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
Not quite the state farmers market, but it is good for people to have a little mini market for local needs.

Do you know what stuck out the most to me in the photos? For what is always referred to as a diverse area, it wasn't really represented much there. Most everyone seemed about the same as the next person.
Not quite the state farmers market, indeed. What many fail to realize is that the state farmers market includes a huge corporate presence, and farmers who come in from, well, all over the state potentially. The Durham Farmers Market only allows folks to sell there if they're from, I believe, 50 miles or less from Durham.

As for the diversity, it sounds as though you're presuming that a group of folks with the same skin color is not diverse. On that point alone I'd beg to differ, however I will simply say that I have been to the Durham Farmers Market quite a few times and have seen folks from all walks of life there. There's no question, however, that the farmers market does tend to attract people from an average or above average socioeconomic status.

NRG - great pics! Did you get a burger at the Only Burger truck? They're awesome!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:02 PM

393 posts, read 673,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
As for the diversity, it sounds as though you're presuming that a group of folks with the same skin color is not diverse.
For this thread alone, I am talking about racial diversity. I can only estimate that type of diversity via a picture. I cannot tell their income level via a picture. I just found it strange that the makeup of patrons is not at all the makeup of the city itself. I thought it an interesting and curious observation that is making my thinking wheels spin looking for an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary