Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
1. Has the IT biz picked up at all since I was last there?

Much, MUCH worse than four years ago. Perhaps you're familiar with this little thing called a recession that hit a year ago--NC is among the worst states to suffer; our unemployment is in the Top 5 or 6 states in the US. Good luck in your search, but I'd definitely widen my net beyond the RTP area, and NOT move here without a job lined up first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 11:10 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
Yes, the jobs may exist, but few vacancies do.

If I had accepted a five-year contract I was offered on a silver platter a couple of years ago, I would be making $100K/year now and wondering what all the fuss was about. I turned it down because I thought I'd be bored. C'est la vie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
I'm a technical writer (requirements, but I think that fits under the TW umbrella), so I can at least ascertain that these jobs do exist in the area. I make $70k, and don't know a lick of code, so I can't imagine you'd cap out at $25/hr. I understand that's not the usual around here, but don't give up.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 08-25-2009 at 11:32 AM..

Old 08-25-2009, 11:11 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Much, MUCH worse than four years ago. Perhaps you're familiar with this little thing called a recession that hit a year ago--NC is among the worst states to suffer
Unless of course you live in Cary, where you just walk around and people will offer you 6-figure jobs. Also it never rains there but everything remains green and lush and if you listen you can faintly hear "zippity doo da" being pleasantly sung wherever you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary