Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:10 AM

450 posts, read 1,350,626 times

Advertisements

as someone the same age/life stage I would choose #1. I could also argue for #3. Number two wouldn't be an option for me, I don't think, given the other choices. I don't know what size house you're moving from, or what your future family plans are, but my house is right around 2700 sq ft and while I sometimes dream of bigger, I really wouldn't want to take care of anything larger - as it is we have 3 rooms that are rarely used (that will change if/when we have another kid; if child #3 doesn't materialize, we might consider downsizing).

I really like the idea of a floorplan you love, a lower mortgage payment (more money to do fun things with your family!), and kids all around. My oldest is in elementary school now, and it's GREAT having neighbors her age around for her to go out and play with, spur of the moment - no planning, no driving required. We "share" yards, or they go to the neighborhood playground, and I don't think they feel cramped.

I wouldn't be concerned about Holly Springs schools - the numbers you see are overall summaries of the school - there are kids who excel above and beyond at Holly Springs schools (and most any Wake Co. elementary school). Plus, as I'm sure you know, school populations are always subject to change around here.

So, I rambled on, but still stand by my choices - #1 . . . or #3 if you're really up for the remodeling work, and think you'd feel overwhelmed by so many neighbors. I do see the value in lots of land and nature to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 11:20 AM

32 posts, read 137,450 times
Default I would go with #1

#1 for all the reasons you and others have mentioned earlier. I have a three year old and can understand your dilemma. But #1 it is :-)

Old 08-26-2009, 11:56 AM

97 posts, read 385,023 times
I have to say #1 as well, for reasons already mentioned. I'd also ALWAYS for for the most affordable home that meets your needs. lower debt is always better, never know what can come up. and it makes your life much more flexible.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:34 PM

156 posts, read 423,714 times
With the current economy, I would not choose #2. It sounds like #1 has many advantages for your children. Your biggest concern with this choice seems to be schools/smaller yard. Don't you have some options as to schools in Wake County ie. traditional, year round and magnet which could improve your okay rating? If you have the larger yard, do you enjoy lawn care/gardening, etc.? With choice #3, you will have more property but will have to entertain or drive children to activities plus you will be dealing with headaches of construction(costs, finding and hiring contractors, etc.) for your remodeling projects. I think the deciding factor might be whether you enjoyed living there as a child and will the opportunity be there later for the family home if you don't jump on it now? I'm not sure if I helped. LOL!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:52 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
I would say #1 as well also.

I would not pick the one with the tiny kitchen....that would be a MAJOR con for me. As your kids get bigger the kitchen will feel even smaller!

Here's a question for you though...are you a stay at home mom? If so I would think you'd want to have a lot of kids around (which equates to a lot of moms and dads). When we moved into our first home there weren't a ton of kids around and always going out to find something social to do for both my children and myself got old really fast. In our next home it was great to sit out in the front yard and have neighbors and friends stop by for a chit chat or arrange social events (playdates, coffee, BBQ's...etc).

I have no personal experience with any of the schools you mentioned but if there are just slight differences, education is what YOU make of it at the elementary age. If you are an involved parent then slight differences shouldn't be a major issue.

#3 sounds tempting but something that may be better suited for a family with older children and well established friendships at school.
If it were me, I would feel isolated otherwise. Some families may prefer that though so that's something to consider.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:01 PM

232 posts, read 1,030,938 times
#1 would be my choice.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:12 PM

149 posts, read 431,553 times
#3 Kids encouraged to be outdoors running around in a pastoral setting and you can re-create the home in your own image at your own pace.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:38 PM

206 posts, read 746,894 times
How long are you planning on staying? Think about resale when you make your choice. If you pick a neighborhood with young kids you might wind up with alot of people wanting to move at the same time. Just a thought. Personally I would choose #3. But if I were conflicted and able to look around a little more I might do that too. I would want to be comfortable with whatever decision I made. It's a big one!

Old 08-26-2009, 04:13 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckdisc View Post
#3 Kids encouraged to be outdoors running around in a pastoral setting and you can re-create the home in your own image at your own pace.
I agree. Also, your 4 year old will be in school soon, which means he will be developing a whole new set of friends regardless of where you live. And I bet the friends will have younger siblings too. If you go w/ #3 and add a pool down the road, then when the kids are teenagers, they and their friends will be at YOUR house, not the neighborhood pool. Has it's advantages and disadvantages. But if they are at your house you know their friends and what they all are up too. Just add an extra frig when you add the pool.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:49 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
Which is closest to your work? I'd be thinking #1 or #3, too, and for us the deciding factor on our house was short commute (1.5 miles). With small children we had no regrets about that, even if we do have a small yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary