Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 10:52 AM

69 posts, read 185,347 times

Advertisements

Is there somewhere I can go in the Raleigh area to get help managing my credit score/debt. My debt is manageable (mostly school loans) but over the past two years since Ive been out of school I dont feel like Ive gained any ground and my credit score is struggling. I am somewhat overwhelmed.

Is there a reliable company in the area who I can speak with who will lay it all out for me and explain what I need to do to get on track?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 11:45 AM

97 posts, read 385,538 times
I personal think a lot of them are not worth the money. You can quickly search the web for helpful advice. There is no quick fix to repair your credit. Below is a short list of things you can do to help repair or improve your credit, but it takes time, anyone how tells you different is LYING.

1. Pay all your bills on time every month. This is huge! If you have credit card debt pay more than the minimum each month.
2. Try to keep your balances low as a percentage of available credit.
3. Don't close your old cards once paid off. (having old cards helps
maintain a longer credit history). Unless they charge an annual fee, then I'd get rid of them.
4. Don't open new accounts.
5. If you must open new account shop your rate during a short period time (1-2 weeks) so it will only count as one credit hit.
6. Also, go to https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp to get
your free credit report. there are 3 agencies and you can get one free
from each per year. There are sites out there that say theyare free but
make you sign up for something. I wouldn't recommend them.

Also, student loans are not a bad thing (I have them), they are usually the cheapest money you'll every get. Just set them up to auto debt (mine offered a discount for doing so) from your checking account and forget about them. If you don't have a credit card yet, open one and use it responsibly every month to help build your credit history.

Once you have good credit it's very easy to maintain if you are responsible with money and live within your means. It can make many purchases cheaper and easier down the road.

Hope this was helpful

Old 08-26-2009, 11:50 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,597,139 times
The Total Money Make Over.
ISBN-10: 0785263268

Great book, easy to read and follow. If you have 3-6 months of income in the bank, you don't worry care about your credit score anymore.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:03 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,523,744 times
Businesses with a market cap of billions care about their credit. Credit effects many things down to if you are even offered a job or to get the best rates on car insurance, it would be unwise to dismiss it after just amounting a couple bucks in savings.

I echo the internet search. This forum has been around awhile:
CreditBoards (Powered by Invision Power Board)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary