Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 05:58 AM

709 posts, read 935,116 times

Advertisements

The almost exclusive use of the automobile for all commuting down here in the raleigh area may I say may be a big problem in the near future. look the price of gasoline is not ever going to be cheap again. we are now pushing 3+ a gallon and heading to 4 dollars a gallon. There are two amtrak trains that go north and south everyday. But there is no public transportation anyplace really in wake county!

Better find a way to build that rapid transit train service which was stopped last year!

if gasoline gets scarce, I would hate to have moved to a place that has no alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 07:34 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
Public transportation would be nice. But it is going to be difficult as the Triangle area really doesn't have a center to it. Is it Raleigh, the state capital? Durham? RTP? Each of these areas, and others, draw commuters who travel to work. As people have moved to affordable areas convenient to their work locations, this has led to a low population density. And a high population density is a virtual prerequisite to building an affordable mass transportation system.

I've had friends who have tried to use the TTA system to get from Raleigh to work in RTP. Most have given up - what was previously a 20 minute commute became a 45-minute to 1hr commute which involved multiple bus transfers. The only ones I know who stick with it do a combo bike-and-bus transfer, riding their bike to the bus stop, catching a TTA bus to RTP, and then biking to their place of work.

A better bet seems to be carpooling, but this can be hard if the people who share the ride don't work near enough to each other or have non-standard hours. And as most of us in the tech industry know, non-standard hours are the norm.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:16 AM

374 posts, read 1,598,606 times
Maybe a rail to the RTP and RDU area from like Wakefield/WakeForest area and another arm from Downtown to the park/airport area. Then another that takes you from RTP/RDU south to Apex. Sure would be nice.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:32 AM

64 posts, read 251,197 times
The Triangle is far too spread out to find a suitable mass transit solution viable. A rail would simply not get people from where they live to where they need to be because there are neither significant concentrated housing pockets nor concentrated business pockets. Heck, if I am not mistaken the RTP even has specific rules on how much of each campus must be greenspace in order to create more space between. Rails won't be running out to Fuquay, Knightdale, Wake Forest, Holly Springs, Sanford, etc. As pointed out above, it takes longer to drive to a station, park, wait for your bus/train, get to your destination, and find transport to your place of business than it does to sit in traffic. Throw on the fact that not having your car at work mean getting pretty much no errands done and a very limited eat-ing out range and I see no reason for the city, as it exists today, to even think about an option. I work for the DOT and just in my group we have employees that live an hour away in every possible direction. There is now way to address that with a feasible option.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:57 AM

709 posts, read 935,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsForks View Post
The Triangle is far too spread out to find a suitable mass transit solution viable. A rail would simply not get people from where they live to where they need to be because there are neither significant concentrated housing pockets nor concentrated business pockets. Heck, if I am not mistaken the RTP even has specific rules on how much of each campus must be greenspace in order to create more space between. Rails won't be running out to Fuquay, Knightdale, Wake Forest, Holly Springs, Sanford, etc. As pointed out above, it takes longer to drive to a station, park, wait for your bus/train, get to your destination, and find transport to your place of business than it does to sit in traffic. Throw on the fact that not having your car at work mean getting pretty much no errands done and a very limited eat-ing out range and I see no reason for the city, as it exists today, to even think about an option. I work for the DOT and just in my group we have employees that live an hour away in every possible direction. There is now way to address that with a feasible option.

Funny if there is no gasoline then what?

Old 04-29-2007, 06:29 PM

185 posts, read 686,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Public transportation would be nice. But it is going to be difficult as the Triangle area really doesn't have a center to it. Is it Raleigh, the state capital? Durham? RTP? Each of these areas, and others, draw commuters who travel to work. As people have moved to affordable areas convenient to their work locations, this has led to a low population density. And a high population density is a virtual prerequisite to building an affordable mass transportation system.

I've had friends who have tried to use the TTA system to get from Raleigh to work in RTP. Most have given up - what was previously a 20 minute commute became a 45-minute to 1hr commute which involved multiple bus transfers. The only ones I know who stick with it do a combo bike-and-bus transfer, riding their bike to the bus stop, catching a TTA bus to RTP, and then biking to their place of work.

A better bet seems to be carpooling, but this can be hard if the people who share the ride don't work near enough to each other or have non-standard hours. And as most of us in the tech industry know, non-standard hours are the norm.
You've got it wrong. Lack of public transportation leads to urban sprawl. People will gradually come to use parking lots to access public transportation
and businesses and employment will locate near these stations. It takes some time, obviously.

For one thing, commute times only get worse. As people see they can access entertainment and get to work at times when they usually wouldn't want to be on the roads, downtowns will get more populated with commuters and suburban parking lots will fill up as you see you can get to that BBall game in Chapel Hill etc. even when the roads are jammed.

It's kind of silly to expect people to gather around and be ready to fully utilize transit stations that don't even exist yet, but that's what's required by the "planners" in today's political world.

Trouble is, planning requires a little bit of that "vision thing", so maybe some visionaries will step in before you have a hell like Tampa on your hands.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Funny if there is no gasoline then what?
Don't you see? Because it won't be perfect immediately, it isn't worth trying.

Forget about the fact that millions of people drive to lots, eat Downtown, near work or near events, thereby creating business for more restaurants etc. and more life in the urban areas.

People even do a little shopping and carry bags on to the train without a car! Hard to believe, I know.

Too bad it's impossible. One more strip mall highway will solve the problem, or 2 or three.

The more you build, the farther out you have to move to live someplace quiet. The farther you have to drive, the more cars clog the road. Oh well.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:47 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,532 times
They have been discussing this for years....and well are still discussing it.

They have paired up with Atlanta on figuring out how Atlanta handled their growth (and still are) and how it can be put to use here.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:56 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Thumbs up Preaching to the Choir

I agree with Urbywan and Tampa Red. When are you guys joing to the Special Transit Advisory Commission? Lots of people feel the same way you do, but have been left in the dark and have no idea what the status of the light-rail project is. last I heard it was DEAD in the water . If anybody has an update, I would love to hear it.

This is what is currently on the website: http://www.ridetta.org/Regional_Rail/Overview/3-07LatestTransitNeeds.htm (broken link)

Next Steps

Updated: April 25, 2007

In August 2006, TTA announced that it would not file a “New Starts” report on the Regional Rail Transit Project with the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) for Federal FY 2008.

TTA, the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHC), Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO), Triangle J Council of Governments (TJCOG), NC Department of Transportation and Regional Transportation Alliance will work with the community as we rethink transit in the Triangle.

The Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHC MPO) and the N.C. Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO) have concluded that providing well-planned and timely major regional transit investments is a very important part of maintaining the Triangle region’s current levels of transportation mobility, high quality of life and economic prosperity. Therefore, the MPOs have agreed to pursue the joint development of a Regional Transit Vision Plan for a regional transit system to serve as the foundation for making comprehensive, cooperative, and well-coordinated decisions on future major transit investments. The development of this plan should include a robust public outreach/community engagement effort and a process for establishing priorities for regional transit investments."

So what has been going on since August 2006?

Old 04-29-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I agree with Urbywan and Tampa Red. When are you guys joing to the Special Transit Advisory Commission? Lots of people feel the same way you do, but have been left in the dark and have no idea what the status of the light-rail project is. last I heard it was DEAD in the water . If anybody has an update, I would love to hear it.

This is what is currently on the website: http://www.ridetta.org/Regional_Rail/Overview/3-07LatestTransitNeeds.htm (broken link)

Next Steps

Updated: April 25, 2007

In August 2006, TTA announced that it would not file a “New Starts” report on the Regional Rail Transit Project with the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) for Federal FY 2008.

TTA, the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHC), Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO), Triangle J Council of Governments (TJCOG), NC Department of Transportation and Regional Transportation Alliance will work with the community as we rethink transit in the Triangle.

The Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHC MPO) and the N.C. Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO) have concluded that providing well-planned and timely major regional transit investments is a very important part of maintaining the Triangle region’s current levels of transportation mobility, high quality of life and economic prosperity. Therefore, the MPOs have agreed to pursue the joint development of a Regional Transit Vision Plan for a regional transit system to serve as the foundation for making comprehensive, cooperative, and well-coordinated decisions on future major transit investments. The development of this plan should include a robust public outreach/community engagement effort and a process for establishing priorities for regional transit investments."

So what has been going on since August 2006?
Just came from that site Northraleigh guy. Those links don't work right sometimes.

Check these.

http://www.ridetta.org/Regional_Rail/Overview/projectOverview.html# (broken link)

http://www.ridetta.org/Regional_Rail/Current_Status/RegionalTransitPlanMap.html (broken link)

Looks like a limited plan using existing facilities to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary