Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,870 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me info on the Raleigh area? We are moving from Louisiana in the next couple of months and I would like to find a safe place with good schools. I checked out Clayton and Garnet as far as homes for sale. They seemed to be more reasonable thatn Raleigh. Are there any schools or neighborhoods that you might recommend? My husband is on the road a lot and I really want a safe neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2006, 10:10 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
Don't automatically overlook Raleigh in favor of Clayton or Garner because of the prices you've found so far. Raleigh has a good deal of houses that are just as affordable as Clayton or Garner, but they don't often make the top of most realtors' lists (for obvious reasons). Keep browsing and scrolling and you may just find the right kind of place.
Plus the advantages of living in Raleigh are better schools, more things to do, better amentities, more services, established infrastructure, entertainment, food, etc.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:53 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Hey RaleighRob...what are the "obvious reasons"??? Vicki

Old 07-15-2006, 03:24 PM

43 posts, read 207,539 times
I'm betting he means that because of the influx of out-of-staters from more affluent areas willing to pay more, the realtors are pushing the higher priced homes.

I used to live in N Raleigh, both off Falls of the Nuese Rd and another time off Durleigh. The main reason I can think of to live in Raleigh proper is that what you save in dollars, you will spend in frustration trying to negotiate traffic. Raleigh has never, ever been known for it's traffic planning. If you have kids, you may want to be closer to the better schools. Lest you think I'm down on the town, though, I'm not. I really liked it there and if I hadn't married someone from out of state who had a more interesting career path, we'd have gladly stayed there.

I've not been back in a while. Clayton and Garner used to be blue collar areas, I understand that is no longer the case. Cary was crazy expensive when I was there, and I undertad it's totally insane now.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:11 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
Hey RaleighRob...what are the "obvious reasons"??? Vicki
I was going to ask the same thing. Doesn't seem so obvious to me...

Old 07-16-2006, 07:42 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymbk
I'm betting he means that because of the influx of out-of-staters from more affluent areas willing to pay more, the realtors are pushing the higher priced homes.
Yeah, basically. Similarly, when you go to a department store, all the pricy clothes are right up front by the door, and the sale items are hidden in the back and you have to hunt them down.

So my point is, sure if you go to a realty website for Raleigh, you're probably going to see all the pricy homes listed first...and most often....so don't automatically assume that represents the whole city and that you have to go to a smaller town to find an affordable house. That's not the case really.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:35 PM

237 posts, read 915,120 times
Default cary expensive get real

you cant get a condo in jersey for what a nice size house with a nice yard goes for there and the taxes are 1/5 of the taxes

Old 01-28-2007, 01:45 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,081 times
go to http://realtor.com (broken link) put in Raleigh and the price range you want and see what comes up. Wake county has been known to have some of the best school report cards in the country. I don't know about the other counties you mentioned.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:50 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymbk View Post

I used to live in N Raleigh, both off Falls of the Nuese Rd and another time off Durleigh. The main reason I can think of to live in Raleigh proper is that what you save in dollars, you will spend in frustration trying to negotiate traffic. Raleigh has never, ever been known for it's traffic planning. If you have kids, you may want to be closer to the better schools. Lest you think I'm down on the town, though, I'm not. I really liked it there and if I hadn't married someone from out of state who had a more interesting career path, we'd have gladly stayed there.

I've not been back in a while. Clayton and Garner used to be blue collar areas, I understand that is no longer the case. Cary was crazy expensive when I was there, and I undertad it's totally insane now.
Cary crazy expensive????? Travel the country and you will go into shock. Cary is not expensive.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:00 PM

237 posts, read 915,120 times
so after my kid is a school for 1or 2 years and makes friends after moving him across the country and he finally settles in there going to move him to a school were he no nobody and has to make friends al over again tell that is not so if it is its the dumbest thing i ever heard of plus all of the people relocating there they should no the last thing you want is to do is have your kid uprooted again ... some one no if this is true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary