Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 01:09 AM

78 posts, read 353,751 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into a move to NC...bought a vehicle in Garner last year from Anchor Auto on Fayetteville Rd...(highly recommend them BTW), stayed a few days..at the Residence Inn off of Tryon Rd... and really liked the area. Spent a week in the Outer Banks in July, and explored the general area...really like it as a whole.

Things in Toledo arent so hot...job..area...weather, etc, etc... been trying to leave for quite a while, and its finally looking like I can pull it off this time.

Where is a good place for a single 28 y/o, who likes a rural atmosphere that is somewhat close to Raleigh...where I would likely be working. I dont mind too much of a drive, something 45 minutes or less.

Prefer a single family home, small, with a nice garage for the cars (my thing hehe)...Thanks for your suggestions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 02:40 AM

15 posts, read 28,505 times
Garner sounds like a great option for you.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:17 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Look to the Swift Creek -- and dare I say -- Middle Creek ( just for you NRG) areas. These areas are a bit SW of Raleigh and Garner (basically south of Tryon and west of Fayetteville Rd, where you've already been). The area is somewhat rural, with lots of 2 lane country roads dotted with small housing subdivisions with large lots, small family farms, and (unfortunately) some trailer parks. The Swift Creek area is particularly attractive because it is a watershed for Raleigh's alternate drinking water source, Lake Wheeler, so development is restricted. I live down by the intersection of Lake Wheeler Rd and Ten Ten Rd and it takes me 20 minutes to get downtown when traffice is light. I don't work downtown, so I don't know what that trip is like during rush hour. Also, another advantage is that these areas are unincorporated (i.e., they do not belong to any city) so you will not pay a city property tax. That saves me a few thousand bucks a year.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:46 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,793 times
You might also like Youngsville, or Wake Forest area. It will depend largely on where you will wind up working. I suggest finding employment first and then the area you want to live. It can make a huge difference down the road. I hope you can leave shortly.. I'm from Akron originally. Best of luck.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:10 AM

Thanks for the replies and good wishes all. Gives me a couple more places to check out. I plan on picking up the pace on the search for employment in the area starting in October, as suggested that will ultimately be a deciding factor as to which part of town I end up in. I'll post more updates as I get them.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:13 AM

I know its been a bit, but figured I'd post an update. Im confident that I will be out of Toledo soon, finally!!

Ive decided I want to rent an apartment first, I have been cruising the real-estate listings, but do not want to buy just yet, until I get to know the area a little better. Any suggestions for a nice apartment complex? I really like the Garner area, so hopefully employment when it comes wont be too far from there. If so, I'll work with it. I'll need a storage unit too, car size, for my pride and joy until I can get a place with a garage.

The job search is going ok. Its only been 3 weeks since I have been actively searching, and posting resumes online, etc. Ive turned down 2 job offers so far, only because they were even with or a negligible increase from what I am making now, and i'd rather someone that is unemployed get them since the market is so bad. I would like to give it some time, and not take the first few offers I receive unless they are substantially better than my current situation. Just for comparison, in Toledo, it is almost 1 in 6 people unemployed right now, and Ive had my resume out for 2 years, with no good offers, and no reason to stay here.

I have moved in with my parents to help make this possible, and am saving the money waiting for the right opportunity. I also subscribed to the News Observer, should be getting my first copy in the mail next week...I hope to get past some of the internet hype Ive found (not on this site lol) and get a better feel for the local scene before my next visit.

Last edited by Daytrepper; 11-20-2009 at 09:26 AM..

Old 11-20-2009, 09:27 AM

166 posts, read 664,224 times
There are nice, newer apartments at the White Oak Shopping area in Garner, past the theater there on Timber Drive extension. I would think that would be a very convenient area, you would have most of the things you need right there within a walk or two minute drive (theater, many restaurants, BJ's gas, petsmart, target, fast food, banking, Best Buy, Dicks Sporting Goods) plus easy access to I-40, and close to Johnston County where there is still development happening and being planned at the 4042 retail area, plus the recently announced expansion of the Talecris plant in Clayton.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:32 AM

25 posts, read 55,203 times
Daytrepper,

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! I am also making my way down to Raleigh. I am origionally from Vermilion...moved to Minneapolis 12 years ago with my family when the Ford plant shut down. I have always wanted to leave, and after ending a long, 8 year relationship, I am ready to go! I also am staying with my parents to save up...the whole family is actually planning on relocating at some point. I will be the pioneer. I am planning to look for work after the holidays and hopefully move in April or May. I am very excited. The weather in Minnesota kills a little piece of me every year...I enjoy warmth and sun. I have a good job with State Farm and I am hoping to be able to transfer down there. I, too, am going to look at renting vs. buying now. I don't want to put my roots down in a place I am unsure of. I do want a house with a yard for my dog.

What an adventure!! I hope that everything goes smoothly for you. You'll have to keep us updated...I am anxious to get my ball rolling as well. What is the News Observer? I am hoping to make a quick trip again in January to get a better feel, but ultimately I will be living close to work. I am 30 and I think I am desiring a more urban atmosphere...I have been living in suburbia for way to long!

What other research have you done?

Old 11-20-2009, 10:31 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
TB,

The News and Observer is the local (Raleigh based) newspaper.

DT,

When you get here, check out Tarheel Sports Car Club
They have lots of ways to play with your toys. Good folks too.

Frank

Old 11-20-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3grls View Post
There are nice, newer apartments at the White Oak Shopping area in Garner, past the theater there on Timber Drive extension. I would think that would be a very convenient area, you would have most of the things you need right there within a walk or two minute drive (theater, many restaurants, BJ's gas, petsmart, target, fast food, banking, Best Buy, Dicks Sporting Goods) plus easy access to I-40, and close to Johnston County where there is still development happening and being planned at the 4042 retail area, plus the recently announced expansion of the Talecris plant in Clayton.
Thanks!! Definitely some good pointers. Adds to the exploration list for my next visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeniebeenie View Post
Daytrepper,

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! I am also making my way down to Raleigh. I am origionally from Vermilion...moved to Minneapolis 12 years ago with my family when the Ford plant shut down. I have always wanted to leave, and after ending a long, 8 year relationship, I am ready to go! I also am staying with my parents to save up...the whole family is actually planning on relocating at some point. I will be the pioneer. I am planning to look for work after the holidays and hopefully move in April or May. I am very excited. The weather in Minnesota kills a little piece of me every year...I enjoy warmth and sun. I have a good job with State Farm and I am hoping to be able to transfer down there. I, too, am going to look at renting vs. buying now. I don't want to put my roots down in a place I am unsure of. I do want a house with a yard for my dog.

What an adventure!! I hope that everything goes smoothly for you. You'll have to keep us updated...I am anxious to get my ball rolling as well. What is the News Observer? I am hoping to make a quick trip again in January to get a better feel, but ultimately I will be living close to work. I am 30 and I think I am desiring a more urban atmosphere...I have been living in suburbia for way to long!

What other research have you done?
Thanks! I am just about in the same boat. Ive discussed the situation at length with my family, and they are behind me, although they dont want to see me move so far away, they want whats best. Parents are semi-retired, so relocation is really not what they want, although it would be cool to move the family out of here.

The job I have leaves much to be desired...I can get much more with the degree along with my experience...currently I am working 3rd shift, along with a swing shift frequently, and with the pay and circumstances, I am miserable...I can use my abilities much better elsewhere, and have job satisfaction to go along with it. Living back at home has been much less stressful. I have been working a "self employed" second job as well, so its about 70 hours a week until I leave here.

The News Observer is the local newspaper for Raleigh. Ive been surfing their website, but its not as good as the paper, especially the classifieds. I think it will give me a much better feel for the area.

As far as research, last year I bought a vehicle in Garner off of Autotrader. Ever since I arrived to pick it up, I couldnt get enough of the area. The first good thing was, it was November 10th of last year when I arrived at the Raleigh airport, and 75 degrees was very welcoming compared to the 30 degrees I had left in Toledo, lol...we had planned to pick the vehicle up and drive right back, but ended up staying a couple days and exploring the area. We didnt make it out of the Garner area very far...just what is there was enough to explore and relax for a couple days before the drive back. Garner didnt have an urban feel, but was rural enough for me, and close enough to the city to be just about right. I am really looking forward to going back for more exploration, when I get more vacation time, or even better, land a job down there.

We went to the Outer Banks for 3 days in July of this year on a week long trip down the east coast. Very laid back and relaxing. Jockey's Ridge was cool, along with the Hatteras Lighthouse in Buxton...and the drive down...very cool. Didnt get a chance to hit up the nightlife, too exhausted lol.

I am hoping to get back to the area first of the year, if I dont land a job there first. Its going to be an adventure for sure, just starting over. Very much looking forward to it. Best of luck to you as well. I have a friend that lives in central Wisconsin, and he was telling me about the -40 temperatures last January...we had -10 here, had just about enough of that lol...couldnt imagine colder, amongst other things..Not expecting this move to be the "savior" of my troubles or anything, as noone should, but its gotta be better than Toledo. I have visited many places in the last 2 years, and so far, this one sticks out the most...In a way, its the throw a dart at the US map blindfolded approach..Im still young and there is plenty of time for it....LOL

Last edited by Daytrepper; 11-20-2009 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary