Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:10 PM

583 posts, read 2,633,241 times

Advertisements

My hubby is interviewing for a job this week in Sanford. What places should we put on the table IF a job offer is made/accepted. In a nut shell about us: 1 middle school (public educated child, comp. gymnast, housing budget under $315K, would like to be near golf, yoga, YMCA, and I love a good downtown with charm. Tall order?? Hubby is willing to drive 35 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 02:22 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Rt 1 provides good access to Sanford from the Holly Springs area. Might try looking around there.

Town of Holly Springs, NC

Frank

Old 08-31-2009, 02:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Anything up US 1 toward Holly Springs and Cary, or up US501 toward Pittsboro/Chatham County/southern Chapel Hill.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:28 PM

250 posts, read 1,245,634 times
Sonshine Gymnastics has a strong competitive program and is located in Holly Springs.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I would also say Holly springs, or even parts of apex/cary near the ten ten road exit. I had friends who did that commute and it was about 35 minutes, and they were going against traffic, so they never had those issues. It was an easy drive, straight down us 1.

Leigh

Old 08-31-2009, 07:56 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
Our next door neighbor commutes to Sanford. We're in Cary near the ten ten rd exit off 1. Our daughters both go to Sonshine but they are little so not competitive yet and the Kraft Family YMCA is less than 5 minutes from our house.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:52 AM

Thank you everyone! He will be there for the next 2 days. Apex, HS, and Cary have all peaked an interest. IF NC is in our future I am sure I will have about a million more questions.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:18 PM

635 posts, read 3,091,689 times
Thumbs up Have you considered Sanford itself?

You could also consider Sanford itself.

Sanford has a unique charm, which includes a "small town vibe" in a mid-sized city(~30k pop). We also are uniquely centrally located to most attractions and major metro areas such as Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro, and Fayetteville... all within 30-50 minutes. Here is a map showing Sanford's relative location to these areas, mountains, and beach:

Live Well Centered.

As mentioned above, Cary, Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina, Fayetteville, and Southern Pines are all within 30 minutes, so if there is anything one can't find in Sanford, it is just a short road-trip away. But for the most part, Sanford has everything one "needs" on a daily basis, from shopping, dining, entertainment(including our historic regional performing arts Temple Theater Home ).

We have a lot of folks that commute to/from Sanford, including my own commute to east Raleigh which is a reliable 45-50 minutes. Considering the distance, that really is a very reasonable time frame as the traffic on Hwy 1 is typically very light. And is a breeze compared to my old commutes in the SF Bay Area, Dallas, etc.

Many of our commuters have chosen to live in Sanford due to lower cost of living, and that small town atmosphere. Sanford is the type of town where the mayor probably knows your name, and city council members will actually return your phone call or maybe even drop by your house. Just yesterday I received a personal call from the chief of police when I had just 10 minutes before dropped a note to our city manager asking about setting up a neighborhood watch program, etc. These are the kinds of things that are unheard of in larger towns/cities that we really appreciate.

We moved to Sanford from San Jose, CA, after renting for a year in Cary, and have never regretted it. We have been able to get more involved in local government, community, and made more friends in our short 3 years here than we did in a decade in other larger cities.

The neighborhoods are the type where neighbors know each other, sit on front porches, and work together. We just finished our National Night Out party which we held in the parking lot across from our home, and often plan other community events throughout the year. Every neighborhood is different of course, but Sanford's small town feel is evident in every community.

We have communities ranging the gamut from gated golf communities, historic districts, to rural farmland, all within 10 minutes of each other. And we have our historic downtown area as well, within walking distance of two of our residential historic districts.

Some more information about Sanford:

City of Sanford, North Carolina | Official Government Website

Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce

Downtown Sanford, INC. | Sanford, North Carolina

You've just missed the conclusion of our summer free concert series "Function at the Junction" at Depot Park, and we had an earlier inaugural outdoor free movies series at the park earlier this summer as well.

And if you are interested in golf, we have our local Sanford Municipal Golf Course, golf communities, and even the top 10 ranked Tobacco Road. And one can't ignore that Pinehurst is just "down the road"

The YMCA just signed a new lease in a large warehouse facility while they plan to begin building their brand new facility on Hwy1 north of town. And we have three children in kinder, middle, and high school. The latter two just this year transitioned to middle and high. We've found the school system to be very good, and have been very pleased. The only current challenge for Lee County Schools is Lee High School which is due for a major rehab due to age. But we've got a new high school(Southern Lee), middle, and elementary recently opened in the last 5 years, and they are great facilities.

Sanford certainly isn't perfect, and we have a lot of opportunities, but the city and community have made great strides in the last decade that has made Sanford a real gem.... an undiscovered gem to some degree, which has helped maintain that small town experience.

But we'll also see a lot of continued growth and investment as Sanford continues to benefit from surrounding metro growth, and projects like the BRAC program relocating several key commands to Fort Bragg which Sanford and Lee County have been actively planning to accommodate.

If any of this sounds interesting, take a weekend to come and check out Sanford and the surrounding area. You might find it is just what you are looking for.

$315k in Sanford will go a very very long way

Good luck!

Al

Old 09-01-2009, 01:33 PM

Al, Sanford has your heart! I love that! We will be making a stop for sure in Sanford.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:16 PM

635 posts, read 3,091,689 times
BTW, I graduated HS from Lamar HS in Arlington, and attended UTA for a year.

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary