U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 05:38 PM

9,728 posts, read 28,498,150 times

Advertisements

Sad news. This was a top notch spa in the area (Two in Raleigh, one in Cary). My wife has a few friends who worked there. Sorry to see it go.

"Iatria Spa and Health Center is shutting down after 10 years in business and closing its remaining three locations in Wake County."

Iatria closes its day spas - Business - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1670084.html - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 05:40 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,839,537 times
Glad I used up all my gift certificate balance last month!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:44 PM

107 posts, read 325,416 times
This is such a shame. Iatria is a great spa. I wonder how they're going to handle gift certificates. I still have a balance on my account.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:47 PM

321 posts, read 998,366 times
Wow, I hadn't heard this yet. I bought a series about a year ago and had one left on the package. But that's not so bad as some of the comments on the N&O blog that talked about some people buying packages just a week ago.....I hope they have recourse through their credit cards!

Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 PM

178 posts, read 509,417 times
Regarding gift certs from the spa, per the News & Observer link in the 1st post:

"The parent company, HFM Spa Management Corp., will file for Chapter7 bankruptcy in the next few days, Dave Mangrum said. When it does, he said, he will petition the court to place spa members with prepaid plans and anyone with an outstanding gift certificate on the list of preferred creditors, meaning they will be higher on the list for repayment."

Old 09-01-2009, 10:21 PM

8,162 posts, read 7,169,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepito's Mommie View Post
Regarding gift certs from the spa, per the News & Observer link in the 1st post:

"The parent company, HFM Spa Management Corp., will file for Chapter7 bankruptcy in the next few days, Dave Mangrum said. When it does, he said, he will petition the court to place spa members with prepaid plans and anyone with an outstanding gift certificate on the list of preferred creditors, meaning they will be higher on the list for repayment."
Not with Chapter 7 they won't. Chapter 7 means we are dead, it does not mean we are reorganizing. How do I know . . . I just do.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 AM

200 posts, read 352,748 times
Default Great news regarding Gift Cards!

Salon owner steps up when friends struggle :: WRAL.com

Roi Parker, owner of R.O.I. Salon in Cameron Village and a friend of Iatria owners Dave and Erika Mangrum, stepped up to cover those responsibilities.

His salon will honor Iatria certificates dollar for dollar.
“As long as clients will be patient we will accommodate every single gift certificate that is outstanding with the spa," Parker said.
“I think it's very important to do this for the community. In sad times, I think this could put a little smile back on the faces when they go to the salon and can no longer get in,” he added.
Parker said clients holding gift certificates can call the salon at 919-833-2577 and ask for him personally to schedule an appointment.

The is one caveat – R.O.I. Salon does not do massages, so customers have to apply gift certificates to hair, nail and skin care services.
Customers with "prepaid plans" for services from Iatria are in a different situation. They will likely have to file a claim with the bankruptcy court.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:38 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,600,413 times
That's really awesome. I have no gift certificates, but I want to go to R.O.I. and give them my business just because they did this.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 AM

40 posts, read 115,729 times
The owner of ROI was on WRAL last night and when pressed by the interviewer why he was honoring the Iatria gift certificates he said (I paraphrase) he wanted to give back to the community. Wow. I'm sure he will get some new clients out of the deal but that is really cool for a business to do that and reinforces why local business should be valued.

One thing left out of the deal is that ROI doesn't do massage therapy but a former employee of Iatria is going out on her own and you can find info on her website here: Julie White, Licensed Massage Therapist, Raleigh, NC

Julie has personally helped me out a couple times to get over the aches and pains from running and I can't recommend her enough. She doesn't do your typical frou frou spa backrub, this is a real therapeutic massage (I don't know if it's technically deep tissue or what) - if you are hurting from exercise or just sitting in an office chair all day you should give her a call and she will fix you right up.

Support local businesses when you can !

Old 09-04-2009, 01:31 AM

178 posts, read 509,417 times
List from News & Observer of spas/salons honoring the gift certs:

.biz - Options for Iatria gift certificate holders | newsobserver.com blogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary