Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:49 AM

4 posts, read 10,195 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I just discovered this forum. My husband, 7-year-old daughter, dog and I are moving to the Triangle area in June. We are looking for a home in a neighborhood that is safe, has good schools, trees priced in the $300-$350K range. Would like something with a relatively easy commute to RTP (Cisco). We are also hoping for a progressive, diverse area without too much of the cookie-cutter feel to it. I am originally from NC but have never lived there as a parent or homeowner. Durham has a lot of appeal but the schools sound less than desirable. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 10:15 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,268,491 times
I'd suggest North Raleigh or Cary, due to the quick promimately to RTP. I'd suggest Morrisville except if you want mature trees, you won't find it there, as most of the neighborhoods there are less than 3 years old.

Again, for the better schools, North Raleigh or Cary gets my vote. I've lived here for over 28 years and have 4 kids, so I'm famaliar with the schools.

Thats my 2 cents worth!

I visited Austin a couple of months ago...looked very much like Raleigh to me. We were there in March, so the heat didn't bother us but I've heard it can get very hot!

Hope this helps!

Vicki

Old 04-30-2007, 10:31 AM

548 posts, read 2,649,458 times
I'd suggestlooking into Chapel Hill. Great schools, progressive, diverse population. Your price range is toward the bottom of the price range in Chapel Hill, but you could find something. Lots of people commute to RTP.

To me, North Raleigh and Cary are the very epitome of the cookie cutter feel..

Old 04-30-2007, 10:39 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,268,491 times
I think it depends on WHERE in North Raleigh you go, as for the "cookie cutter" feel.

You WILL find that at the newer neighborhoods but since ashleym mentioned she wanted trees, I was thinking more of the older neighborhoods.

I just showed a gorgeous home in North Raleigh in Vestavia Woods that was listed at $355,000. I live close by so I know the area well. Great schools, great neighborhood and a pool close by.

Vicki

Old 04-30-2007, 10:42 AM

191 posts, read 236,445 times
The Triangle really doesn't have anything that compares to Austin but few places do.

What are your favorite Austin neighborhoods? People here may be able to point you toward somewhat similar neighborhoods in the Triangle.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:19 PM

425 posts, read 1,258,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacht View Post
The Triangle really doesn't have anything that compares to Austin but few places do.

What are your favorite Austin neighborhoods? People here may be able to point you toward somewhat similar neighborhoods in the Triangle.
Good question Nacht. I really like it here, but miss Austin quite a bit still. Good luck on finding something close in. We had to move out into Willow Spring to find property that we could afford with some space. Husband also works at RTP and we carpool everyday, as I work in Apex ... 45/55 minute commute one way, but we come home to a beautiful forest. In your price range, I would think you would find something to your liking.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:36 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,041,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleym View Post
Hello,
I just discovered this forum. My husband, 7-year-old daughter, dog and I are moving to the Triangle area in June. We are looking for a home in a neighborhood that is safe, has good schools, trees priced in the $300-$350K range. Would like something with a relatively easy commute to RTP (Cisco). We are also hoping for a progressive, diverse area without too much of the cookie-cutter feel to it. I am originally from NC but have never lived there as a parent or homeowner. Durham has a lot of appeal but the schools sound less than desirable. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
my husband is in austin this week for work (tivoli), I really like it there! We spent 4 months there a couple of years ago and considered moving, but wanted to stay close to family......anyhow, I digress. I think this area is similar to austin in that people are having to move farther away from the center of things in order to get a decent sized house for the money.

I think it all depends on what you are looking for. You can get houses in chapel hill that may need some tlc for the 300 range, and you can get some in carrboro as well. Because Cary (and just about every small town surrounding raleigh) have been developed in the past 10 years, you don't tend to get tons of trees. Now, cary near cary towne center mall, and downtown (the older section of cary) you will get more trees and more land.

North raleigh has some very nice areas, but honestly it depends on how far you want to drive to work!

anyhow, pm and I can think of some other suggestions for you as well.

Leigh

Old 05-01-2007, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 10,195 times
Thanks for all the info. We love Austin and will miss it. We live in a neighborhood called "Northfield" The realtors like to call it upper Hyde Park though homes are much cheaper here than in Hyde Park. We like this neighborhood a lot, but our particular street is very kid-unfriendly and lately a lot of college students have been moving in and it's become a bit of a party scene. We also like neighborhoods like Allendale, Morningside Ridgetop,Bryckerwood, Cherrywood, Travis Heights, but probably couldn't afford many of the nicer homes. We like these neighborhoods because while, people maintain their homes and yards, nobody gets upset if you want to paint your house purple or put funky yard art out.
My husband is already in NC and is looking at some homes in NW Raleigh today. HOw does the commute from NW Raleigh compare to the commute from Chapel Hill/Carrboro these days? Sounds like that 540 extension will help quite a bit. I'm more used to jobs that require a lot of driving, but my husband has been spoiled by a 15 minute bike ride to his job at University of Texas and would go crazy spending too much time in bumper-to-bumper traffic every day.
Thanks for your help.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:46 AM

191 posts, read 236,445 times
If your husband works at Cisco and doesn't want to sit in traffic everyday then neighborhoods like the ones you mentioned in central Austin are probably out of the question. Most of the development near RTP is a lot more like Round Rock, P'ville, Cedar Park and the like.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:50 AM

169 posts, read 778,801 times
I'd try Carrboro-- very progressive and diverse, as you say. 20-minute commute to RTP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary