Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 03:09 PM

113 posts, read 372,203 times

Advertisements

Hi. I live in Braxton Village and am wanting to plant a few trees near one of my property lines to gain some privacy. I am thinking evergreen types like Nellie Stevens Holly. That might be too big though for the area? They grow from 15-25 feet. I would plant them along a length of back yard of about 40 feet. That's the whole level back yard from side of home to hillside. If I did this, I would basically be totally enclosed on all sides from view while sitting on my patio!

What are the normal HOA rules regarding trees and their height? Do you think this would fly? I see nothing about planting trees being something youneed to ask for permission BUT they do mention lot improvements... That might cover that??

any advice?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 03:19 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverflash View Post
Hi. I live in Braxton Village and am wanting to plant a few trees near one of my property lines to gain some privacy. I am thinking evergreen types like Nellie Stevens Holly. That might be too big though for the area? They grow from 15-25 feet. I would plant them along a length of back yard of about 40 feet. That's the whole level back yard from side of home to hillside. If I did this, I would basically be totally enclosed on all sides from view while sitting on my patio!

What are the normal HOA rules regarding trees and their height? Do you think this would fly? I see nothing about planting trees being something youneed to ask for permission BUT they do mention lot improvements... That might cover that??

any advice?

thanks.

If these are your covenants, read the first full paragraph on Page 2:
Books! Online Records - Document Images

ETA: Well, after re-reading, it would seem that trees would be addressed only as part of the plan for adding structure...
Hmm..
Probably best to call the property management company.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:20 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
I'd check your Architectural Standards document - here's what mine says (as an example):
Quote:
# Hedge or screen plantings which form a barrier between properties should have:

1. Concurrence of the adjoining property owner.
2. Agreement for maintenance access.
3. Setbacks to allow for plant growth.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:42 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I'd check your Architectural Standards document - here's what mine says (as an example):
# Hedge or screen plantings which form a barrier between properties should have:
1. Concurrence of the adjoining property owner.
2. Agreement for maintenance access.
3. Setbacks to allow for plant growth.
"Should" is a long ways from "must." I have a distaste for rules that are wishy-washy. Either you and your neighbors have to do it, or you don't.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
"Should" is a long ways from "must." I have a distaste for rules that are wishy-washy. Either you and your neighbors have to do it, or you don't.
There's usually a fair amount of wiggle room in HOA documents, which is how some situations get out of control.

To the OP - I'd avoid planting a wall of identical trees anyhow. It always looks really unnatural to me.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:44 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
There's usually a fair amount of wiggle room in HOA documents, which is how some situations get out of control.
Exactly - be clear and precise in the rules. Leaving it open to intepretation, or what one "should" do leaves to much room for disputes to erupt.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:51 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times
You need to contact your HOA management company. They are the only ones who will be able to answer in the detail you need.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:

To the OP - I'd avoid planting a wall of identical trees anyhow. It always looks really unnatural to me.

And i suppose a modern home looks "natural" ???

;-)

Old 09-04-2009, 09:02 AM

http://rsfincher.com/communities/bra...ifications.pdf

here are the restrictions.. I need to submit a request... working on that now..

Old 09-04-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverflash View Post
And i suppose a modern home looks "natural" ???

;-)
No - but a mix of different plants looks nicer (imho) than a line of identical plants forming a barrier. To each his own, though!

edit: I guess you could be going for a "manicured formal garden" look, in which case it'd work. I just prefer a more natural look to my landscaping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary