Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:17 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

Kathleen, thank you so much for your kind words.

Identifying a neighborhood that's perfect for you depends on so many things.

I really don't know of any one neighborhood that might fit your needs off the top of my head. My subdivision, Brentwood (in North/Northeast Raleigh), has empty nesters (including yours truly) and is convenient to everything, but there are many, many areas around here that might fit the bill.

You might ask your friend in North Raleigh for suggestions or maybe others on this board can chime in.

As far as reinventing yourself -- think about Grandma Moses. She reinvented herself in her 70's when she began painting: Grandma Moses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My psychology professor in college went back to school at age 50 to become a psychologist; he had been a caterer! There's someone in our neighborhood who was a journalist and became a lawyer in his 50's.

It's never too late to reinvent yourself, careerwise or otherwise. We're just all going through yet another of life's passages. I think this is one passage where we have more power and control than any other (less family pressure, fewer family obligations, and many people have fewer financial concerns).

It's not easy, but it's possible. During these economic times, I think people of all ages are in some way reinventing themselves.

As that old cliche goes, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:56 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
The first year we moved here we had our kids birthday party at the house, invited all the neighborhood kids, and cooked burgers. Food will bring them out! Find some reason to have a party!

Old 10-19-2009, 10:10 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
As a P.S. to my earlier post, another cliche: "Bloom where you are planted." It doesn't so much matter where you live, but it matters whether or not you interact in some way with the people around you, whether they live next door, down the street, the next town or two towns away. Meetup.com happens to provide a way to make that easier than it ever was.

As far as food, that is so right ("Food will bring them out!"). I used to work for PBS, and I remember the head of the volunteers always saying that FOOD was the one thing that would bring people together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary